Tags:
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
746 posts
117 upvotes
North York, ON

Weeping Tile

Hello,

Going to build 30 ft. garden wall about 4 ft. out and parallel to a fence.

The ground level for the 30 ft. is fairly linear.

After 30 ft., The ground starts to slope downwards and I guess starts to form into a rear yard lot line swale, where I think the drainage is eventually converted into a catch basin.

Therefore would I really need a weeping tile to be installed underneath the garden wall?
Last edited by yellowlight18 on Sep 22nd, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1449 posts
1185 upvotes
GTA
yellowlight18 wrote: After 30 ft., The ground starts to slope downwards and I guess starts to form into a rear yard lot line swale, where I think the drainage is eventually converted into a catch basin.

Therefore would I really need a weeping tile to be installed underneath the garden wall?
You are not allowed to adversely impact subdivision drainage. As such you cannot block flows from upstream/uphill of you.

A weeping tile would do next to nothing to convey major system drainage if you're going to block the swale, even a large culvert/pipe may still impede the flow if the drainage area is large enough.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
746 posts
117 upvotes
North York, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: You are not allowed to adversely impact subdivision drainage. As such you cannot block flows from upstream/uphill of you.

A weeping tile would do next to nothing to convey major system drainage if you're going to block the swale, even a large culvert/pipe may still impede the flow if the drainage area is large enough.
The swale is not being blocked. The swale is well downstream of where the planned 30 ft wall will end. Therefore I guess I don't need a weeping tile?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3004 posts
668 upvotes
Ancaster
So your garden wall is going to be next to your interlocking patio stones and there will be a gap between the garden wall and the fence?

If that's correct you won't be blocking the swale and have no need for a weeping tile.