Quebec

Which weight is used for Tire Change

So I have a minivan now a Sedona 2020
and my jack is a 3 tons

According to autblog.com there's 2 Weight for the Sedona

Curb 4,443 lbs.
Gross weight 6,085 lbs.

by using a converter 6,085 LBS is more then 3 tons aka 3.04tons

So does this mean that I can<t jack my car to change the tires or is it the curb that is used to lift a car?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2046 posts
1300 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Neither, Gross Weight is with passengers, cargo, etc. Curb weight is the vehicle without the others. As for how much you will actually be lifting with the Jack itself it will be approximately one quarter to one half of the weight, depending where the lift point is on the vehicle. ie - 1/4 if only one wheel, 1/2 if the whole of one side, etc.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2421 posts
957 upvotes
Quebec
rcmpvet wrote: Neither, Gross Weight is with passengers, cargo, etc. Curb weight is the vehicle without the others. As for how much you will actually be lifting with the Jack itself it will be approximately one quarter to one half of the weight, depending where the lift point is on the vehicle. ie - 1/4 if only one wheel, 1/2 if the whole of one side, etc.

So if I lift 1 wheel at a time I need to count 1/4 of the curb weight as there’s no passenger in it ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34481 posts
20515 upvotes
Center of Universe
I have a 3ton Jack and it can lift the enite front or rear end of my Explorer... you're good to go with the Sedona, especially lifting one corner at a time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2421 posts
957 upvotes
Quebec
vkizzle wrote: I have a 3ton Jack and it can lift the enite front or rear end of my Explorer... you're good to go with the Sedona, especially lifting one corner at a time.
Thanks sir
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2046 posts
1300 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
ratatapa wrote: So if I lift 1 wheel at a time I need to count 1/4 of the curb weight as there’s no passenger in it ?
That's about it.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4069 posts
1305 upvotes
Oshawa
ratatapa wrote: So I have a minivan now a Sedona 2020
and my jack is a 3 tons

According to autblog.com there's 2 Weight for the Sedona

Curb 4,443 lbs.
Gross weight 6,085 lbs.

by using a converter 6,085 LBS is more then 3 tons aka 3.04tons

So does this mean that I can<t jack my car to change the tires or is it the curb that is used to lift a car?

Thanks
Lifting the entire vehicle off the floor to change all four at the same time??????

Wow! That's serious.

Never thought that any one would do that on their own. The only time that I've seen that happen is when I go into my buddy's shop and get my car on the hoist ...

If you are doing it yourself ... you do one wheel at a time.

There is absolute NO CONCERN about weight. It should NOT even cross your mind!

Most cars have a jack in the trunk so that you can change a spare tire .... ONLY newer vehicles don't have that option unless you pay money for it
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.