• Dec 3rd, 2021 11:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6241 posts
5541 upvotes

Weighted Blankets: are they a fad?

I've been hearing a lot about weighted blankets. Products like these always make me think it's just get rich quick seems on the part of the inventor that's geared towards people who are into "new age" stuff. Salt lamps are another example.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear from those who have first hand experience with them, good or bad. Why do you use them? Do they help? If so, with what? Or are they just another fad?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2474 posts
2215 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
hierophant wrote: I've been hearing a lot about weighted blankets. Products like these always make me think it's just get rich quick seems on the part of the inventor that's geared towards people who are into "new age" stuff. Salt lamps are another example.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear from those who have first hand experience with them, good or bad. Why do you use them? Do they help? If so, with what? Or are they just another fad?
I got each of my kids ones. My oldest has severe anxiety, and they have the weighted blankets in their wellness room to help calm kids down. I have friends who have kids who have autism, and most of them find the blankets really help calm their kids too.

My oldest describes it as 'resting with a hug'. It helps her feel more safe and calm, and helps with her sleep. My youngest has a lighter one, and she likes it. She's a pretty calm kid already, but she says it does help her sleep too. I have used my oldest's blanket to see what its about. I can see it being calming, and it provides a little weight to sleep with. I would say if you like that feeling of being having a big hug the whole time, it's great. My spouse hates it for that same reason.

When purchasing, you do have to be careful not to buy a blanket too heavy (recommended about 10% of your body weight) . Also, the blanket we have was a cheaper one, so it really bunches up and is a pain to redistribute the weight. When try to 'shake it out' it's a bit of a work out, and hurts as hell if someone wacks you in the face. So I guess good for a pillow fight against someone you don't like, but you may not be asked to come back.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1469 posts
979 upvotes
I've posted my experience before. I had never heard of "weighted blankets" until I noticed Costco had a sale on "juvenile weighed blankets". So being curious, I looked up what they were, and was intrigued. I purchased one right away (adult size, and not from Costco, as the Costco ones had medicore reviews). There are always ones on sale on Amazon, and at the time a CZZZ weighted blanket made of bamboo was highly discounted, so I purchased it. I also searched for sites/articles that review weighted blankets, and CZZZ was one of the well reviewed brands..

I have had it over one year now, and I absolutely love it. I sleep so soundly with the gentle pressure of the weighted blanket. I've never consistently slept so soundly before.

There are some very expensive ones, but you don't need to spend big bucks. But these are not complex things. Key is good construction and design so that the weight beads do not shift. THere are several brands like CZZZ on Amazon with thousands of positive reviews. I can vouch for the CZZZ brand... there is no shifting at all of the weight beads, and construction is excellent -- but it wasn't too expensive, esp since they regularly go on sale.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1469 posts
979 upvotes
6060842 wrote: They help keep you warm since there is little room for air to get in. Other than that they are just a regular heavy blanket with no magical powers.
Disagree. My bamboo one does lets the air circulate and is not hot. The key thing is the weight, and the feeling of being wrapped and secure. Nothing to do with keeping you warm. The downside of some brands is they feel hot. But some of the better ones do not make you hot. They are much heavier than any regular blanket, even a "heavy" regular blanket.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1227 posts
1516 upvotes
GTA
I place a wide cushion on top of my chest, stomach or thighs and underneath the blanket to help me sleep better and reduce anxiety. My ordinary blanket is usually somewhat snug along the sides of my body or even wrapped like a burrito so it applies a bit of downward pressure onto the cushion, simulating a small weight on that part of the body. You can try different types of cushions to see what a weighted blanket might feel like and if you like it, then consider buying one while considering the comments above.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5085 posts
2909 upvotes
I have been using one for months and it really helps with legs cramp. I got this one on sale
Dec 21, 2011
16 posts
3 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
How do these weighted ones compare with hug sleep pods?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1469 posts
979 upvotes
peppy6 wrote: How do these weighted ones compare with hug sleep pods?
Hug Sleep Pod is a specific product made by one company that appeared on Shark Tank. Weighted Blanket is a category of products with hundreds of brands and options.

The Hug Sleep Pod does not have actual "weight" like a weighted blanket. Instead the sleep pod idea is they use a stretchy material that hugs you. It's like a light weight sleep sack that hugs due to the stretchy fabric.
The founders of Hug created it as an alternative to weighted blankets which they though could slide off and could be difficult to manage. Sleep pod would be easier to wash.

Personally, I don't see how weighted blankets could slide off with the weight (and you can tuck in if you like), and don't find weighted blanket difficult to manage at all. And I feel like I would much prefer sensation of having actual weight from a weighted blanket versus just a hugging sensation from a stretchy fabric. But others might prefer a sleep pod, and they do have many good reviews on their website.

One review site wrote the following:
"Sleep Pod takes the idea of a weighted blanket—using deep-touch pressure therapy to comfort you—without the actual weight and heat associated with them. Instead, the stretchy material comfortably clings to you like a soft hug. It's machine washable, and because it's not as bulky and heavy as a blanket, you can take it with you when traveling. I (Medea) really enjoyed sleeping fully cocooned inside—it's very soothing. The fabric quickly started to pill where my feet rubbed against it, which is disappointing, though I think getting a larger size might eliminate that issue. Jess says it's too constricting for her."

Sleep Pod seems to get pretty good reviews on Amazon (4/5), but the main weighted blanket offerings are all getting even higher ratings and with many thousands more reviews.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6241 posts
5541 upvotes
As an update to this thread - I bought one around the time I created this thread and use it when I have trouble sleeping or my body is feeling achy or restless and it really helps.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1788 posts
1806 upvotes
hierophant wrote: As an update to this thread - I bought one around the time I created this thread and use it when I have trouble sleeping or my body is feeling achy or restless and it really helps.
What brand did you buy and from where?
Nov 1, 2018
58 posts
30 upvotes
I picked up the Hush blanket back in 2019. These guys were on Dragon's Den and got offers from all of the Dragons.

Two years in hindsight later, it's definitely a fad. It feels nice but I'm not convinced that it improves quality of sleep or ability to get to sleep any quicker as they suggested. I think it's all confirmation bias and/or placebo.

Keep in mind that everyone sleeps differently. I move around a lot in my sleep and wake up with my blankets in a tangled mess every time. I also sleep almost exclusively on my belly. Everyone is different. This is just my experience.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6751 posts
2439 upvotes
Unpopularopinion wrote: I picked up the Hush blanket back in 2019. These guys were on Dragon's Den and got offers from all of the Dragons.

Two years in hindsight later, it's definitely a fad. It feels nice but I'm not convinced that it improves quality of sleep or ability to get to sleep any quicker as they suggested. I think it's all confirmation bias and/or placebo.

Keep in mind that everyone sleeps differently. I move around a lot in my sleep and wake up with my blankets in a tangled mess every time. I also sleep almost exclusively on my belly. Everyone is different. This is just my experience.

Just ordered one and my concern was the same issues I currently have, I move around a lot and sleep on my stomach. See how it goes because I am struggling with sleep. Have a feeling it won't be for me but figured I would give it a try. Bought one for my son that has a bit of anxiety so I"m hoping it works for him atleast. I don't think it's a fad though, I think it genuinely helps some people.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3478 posts
677 upvotes
Allenford
baz5 wrote: Just ordered one and my concern was the same issues I currently have, I move around a lot and sleep on my stomach. See how it goes because I am struggling with sleep. Have a feeling it won't be for me but figured I would give it a try. Bought one for my son that has a bit of anxiety so I"m hoping it works for him atleast. I don't think it's a fad though, I think it genuinely helps some people.

Would love for you to report back on it - I am a tummy sleeper who moves around too. Tried one at a friends house a few weeks ago but it was super heavy and I woke up because I felt like I was in prison and could barely kick it off.
Nov 1, 2018
58 posts
30 upvotes
baz5 wrote: Just ordered one and my concern was the same issues I currently have, I move around a lot and sleep on my stomach. See how it goes because I am struggling with sleep. Have a feeling it won't be for me but figured I would give it a try. Bought one for my son that has a bit of anxiety so I"m hoping it works for him atleast. I don't think it's a fad though, I think it genuinely helps some people.
Good luck with the blanket! Also look into a good pillow. I recently picked up a latex pillow and it has helped with neck pain and stiffness.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6241 posts
5541 upvotes
baz5 wrote:
Just ordered one and my concern was the same issues I currently have, I move around a lot and sleep on my stomach. See how it goes because I am struggling with sleep. Have a feeling it won't be for me but figured I would give it a try. Bought one for my son that has a bit of anxiety so I"m hoping it works for him atleast. I don't think it's a fad though, I think it genuinely helps some people.
Unpopularopinion wrote: I picked up the Hush blanket back in 2019. These guys were on Dragon's Den and got offers from all of the Dragons.

snow00774 wrote: Would love for you to report back on it - I am a tummy sleeper who moves around too. Tried one at a friends house a few weeks ago but it was super heavy and I woke up because I felt like I was in prison and could barely kick it off.
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on how weighted blanks meant to be used - I don't believe you're meant to go to sleep with them. I think it even says that in the instructions. In other words, they're not meant to replace your blanket/comforter. Rather, they should be viewed as a a relaxation tool.

How I use it is lying on my back (optimal position), I place it on top of myself (using a bedsheet underneath since they can't be washed) for however long I need - normally for me it's about 15-20minutes or until I'm starting to doze off and then I take it off and use my regular blanket/comforter. This is a good time to do a bit of mediation too.

May be try again it using this method.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2474 posts
2215 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
hierophant wrote: There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on how weighted blanks meant to be used - I don't believe you're meant to go to sleep with them. I think it even says that in the instructions. In other words, they're not meant to replace your blanket/comforter. Rather, they should be viewed as a a relaxation tool.

How I use it is lying on my back (optimal position), I place it on top of myself (using a bedsheet underneath since they can't be washed) for however long I need - normally for me it's about 15-20minutes or until I'm starting to doze off and then I take it off and use my regular blanket/comforter. This is a good time to do a bit of mediation too.

May be try again it using this method.
Good reminder. If it's a heavier weighted blanket, then you do have to be careful, not to lose circulation. For my oldest, hers is an adult one, though she is small. If I know she has fallen asleep with it, I will fold it down. Apparently, the weight is find for the lower power of your body. I also make sure that the sides of the blanket are on the bed, not hanging down as gravity will have an effect.

For my youngest, she has a kids version and it's light for her weight now. She is fine sleeping with it. In fact, I will use hers to put across my top and fall asleep.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1469 posts
979 upvotes
No doubt not everyone will like weighted blankets (e.g. my spouse doesn't even want to try one).
But they are not a fad. Fads are temporary things that die out. The weighted blanket market gets bigger and bigger every year. Big companies are buying out smaller companies. Many mattress and bedding companies now offer weighted blankets in their product offerings. The thousands upon thousands of 5* reviews on many different weighted blankets on Amazon tell you it's not just a fad. Not for everyone, but great for many!
hierophant wrote: There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on how weighted blanks meant to be used - I don't believe you're meant to go to sleep with them. I think it even says that in the instructions. In other words, they're not meant to replace your blanket/comforter. Rather, they should be viewed as a a relaxation tool.
Very curious what "the instructions" for the one you got says. This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this. Every weighted blanket brand I've come across are made for sleeping. I sleep with mine, and sleep so soundly. I put mine between bed sheet and a duvet.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
2308 posts
2430 upvotes
multimut wrote: Very curious what "the instructions" for the one you got says. This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this. Every weighted blanket brand I've come across are made for sleeping. I sleep with mine, and sleep so soundly. I put mine between bed sheet and a duvet.
The label on the Mahli one from Walmart

7197C78B-96C1-4CA1-A3C2-B9D6DB43575D.jpeg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)