• Jun 10th, 2021 8:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4689 posts
3528 upvotes

Weighted Blankets: are they a fad?

I've been hearing a lot about weighted blankets. Products like these always make me think it's just get rich quick seems on the part of the inventor that's geared towards people who are into "new age" stuff. Salt lamps are another example.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear from those who have first hand experience with them, good or bad. Why do you use them? Do they help? If so, with what? Or are they just another fad?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2119 posts
1556 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
hierophant wrote: I've been hearing a lot about weighted blankets. Products like these always make me think it's just get rich quick seems on the part of the inventor that's geared towards people who are into "new age" stuff. Salt lamps are another example.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear from those who have first hand experience with them, good or bad. Why do you use them? Do they help? If so, with what? Or are they just another fad?
I got each of my kids ones. My oldest has severe anxiety, and they have the weighted blankets in their wellness room to help calm kids down. I have friends who have kids who have autism, and most of them find the blankets really help calm their kids too.

My oldest describes it as 'resting with a hug'. It helps her feel more safe and calm, and helps with her sleep. My youngest has a lighter one, and she likes it. She's a pretty calm kid already, but she says it does help her sleep too. I have used my oldest's blanket to see what its about. I can see it being calming, and it provides a little weight to sleep with. I would say if you like that feeling of being having a big hug the whole time, it's great. My spouse hates it for that same reason.

When purchasing, you do have to be careful not to buy a blanket too heavy (recommended about 10% of your body weight) . Also, the blanket we have was a cheaper one, so it really bunches up and is a pain to redistribute the weight. When try to 'shake it out' it's a bit of a work out, and hurts as hell if someone wacks you in the face. So I guess good for a pillow fight against someone you don't like, but you may not be asked to come back.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1235 posts
676 upvotes
I've posted my experience before. I had never heard of "weighted blankets" until I noticed Costco had a sale on "juvenile weighed blankets". So being curious, I looked up what they were, and was intrigued. I purchased one right away (adult size, and not from Costco, as the Costco ones had medicore reviews). There are always ones on sale on Amazon, and at the time a CZZZ weighted blanket made of bamboo was highly discounted, so I purchased it. I also searched for sites/articles that review weighted blankets, and CZZZ was one of the well reviewed brands..

I have had it over one year now, and I absolutely love it. I sleep so soundly with the gentle pressure of the weighted blanket. I've never consistently slept so soundly before.

There are some very expensive ones, but you don't need to spend big bucks. But these are not complex things. Key is good construction and design so that the weight beads do not shift. THere are several brands like CZZZ on Amazon with thousands of positive reviews. I can vouch for the CZZZ brand... there is no shifting at all of the weight beads, and construction is excellent -- but it wasn't too expensive, esp since they regularly go on sale.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1235 posts
676 upvotes
6060842 wrote: They help keep you warm since there is little room for air to get in. Other than that they are just a regular heavy blanket with no magical powers.
Disagree. My bamboo one does lets the air circulate and is not hot. The key thing is the weight, and the feeling of being wrapped and secure. Nothing to do with keeping you warm. The downside of some brands is they feel hot. But some of the better ones do not make you hot. They are much heavier than any regular blanket, even a "heavy" regular blanket.
Sep 3, 2019
920 posts
625 upvotes
GTA
I place a wide cushion on top of my chest, stomach or thighs and underneath the blanket to help me sleep better and reduce anxiety. My ordinary blanket is usually somewhat snug along the sides of my body or even wrapped like a burrito so it applies a bit of downward pressure onto the cushion, simulating a small weight on that part of the body. You can try different types of cushions to see what a weighted blanket might feel like and if you like it, then consider buying one while considering the comments above.
Aug 7, 2016
180 posts
155 upvotes
Somatosensory effect on hypersensitivity
Temple Grandin’s squeeze box origin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine
"It's usually futile to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance."
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4369 posts
2248 upvotes
I have been using one for months and it really helps with legs cramp. I got this one on sale