• Sep 23rd, 2020 12:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes

Weird Login Issue

I use a password manager to autofill my credentials on every site I visit so that I can log in with just the click of the button. It works fine with most sites but when I try to log in to forums.redflagdeals.com and hover over the "Login/Create an account" dropdown in the top right corner of the page, it autofills but when I then click the LOGIN button I often get the following message:

Sorry, we had problems logging you in. Please correct the errors below:

Invalid request due to CSRF token error.

I'm then taken to a different login page. This page asks for my username/password once more which again is autofilled by my password manager, I then click the "Sign In" button and I log in just fine, although it takes me to RFD's home page, not the forums home page. It never used to happen before but I've been away from RFD for a while and just came back a few days ago. Any idea why this is happening?
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
4 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
Back when we first made the change to our log in page, some users were receiving this error when trying to log in through the forums. (rather than www.). We put out a fix for that which seemed to resolve the problem for everyone who was experiencing it.

Does this happen every single time you try to log in via forums.redflagdeals.com? Can you try clearing your RFD cookies+cache and see it that fixes it?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
I always log in through the forums, not the home page. I don't get the error every time I log in, probably about half the time. I'll clear my cookies/cache and see if that resolves the problem. It's not a big deal, just a bit of a nuisance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
Tom, thanks for your help.

Your suggestion to clear my cache/cookies seems to have done the trick. I've logged in/out several times over the past few days and the problem has gone away except for one instance.

In that one case I had absent mindedly closed my browser tab without explicitly logging off. The next time I tried to log in through the forums I got the error message. Otherwise, no problems so I consider the issue resolved.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
Tom, I have one more data point for you. If I completely exit out of Firefox and then relaunch it, I get the error message the very first time I try to log in via the forums. After that there's no problem.