[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1066 posts
732 upvotes
GTA

Weird shedding and fur feels more “wirey” on Lab

Hi,
I have an 8 year old Lab and she is shedding more than usual and her hair feels more rough or wirey than usual.

Not sure if it’s worth a vet appointment yet and curious if it’s an age thing or something else.

She is eating normally and she is always pretty docile and lazy so I haven’t noticed any difference in those departments.

Thanks,
5 replies
May 28, 2012
12026 posts
4649 upvotes
Saskatoon
Maybe check into the food you feed him? I'm not a dog owner but when doing research on cat food, I found that a lot of pet food companies sell products with inferior protein and is manufactured in a way that is not overall healthy for the pet (in the long run). With increased costs of materials, I wouldn't be surprised if these companies downgraded their product to cut costs.

Here's a 20 minute video from a pet nutritionist (I watched her video on cat food rankings). She's American but I think a lot of the choices are available here too:
Jan 4, 2010
52 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: Maybe check into the food you feed him? I'm not a dog owner but when doing research on cat food, I found that a lot of pet food companies sell products with inferior protein and is manufactured in a way that is not overall healthy for the pet (in the long run). With increased costs of materials, I wouldn't be surprised if these companies downgraded their product to cut costs.

Here's a 20 minute video from a pet nutritionist (I watched her video on cat food rankings). She's American but I think a lot of the choices are available here too:
Not sure how I feel about this. A lot of her comments are based on perceptions of the ingredients, and their branding, which isn't really useful. I'd expect more in depth research from a pet nutritionist.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6407 posts
4330 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We had a terrier, and switched her food.

Her hair was exactly the same, hard brittle and wirey. Hair was patchy and she would scratch CONSTANTLY. Felt so bad.

Once we switched to a different brand, the change was night and day.

I'd say give that a try.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1066 posts
732 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone,

it went away on its own? maybe an age thing? or delayed shedding of her summer coat?

strange but will watch her closely.