• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 8:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
390 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto

Weird Telus Network Issue

I am having a very strange problem ever since I ported over to TELUS where my wife is unable to call me. I was with Koodo before and never had any problems.

Background: My wife is with Koodo using an iPhone 6S. I am with Telus using an iPhone 11. Our phone numbers are very similar and only off by 2 digits.

Problem: When my wife’s iPhone is connected to VoLTE and she calls me she immediately gets a popup, “User Busy”. On my end, my phone rings and when I answer it immediately disconnects. My wife is able to call other people without issue, only calling me results in this problem. Other people can call my phone without issue as well. This only happens when my wife calls me. I can also call her without issue.

Troubleshooting: Manually switching my wife’s phone to use 3G for calls fixes the problem and she is able to call me without issue. Switching both our SIM cards to brand new iPhones results in the same problem. I tried calling Telus and aside from “reset your network” they seem pretty lost about that to do. I have a callback scheduled after they speak to their back office during the week.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? Any ideas on if this is a TELUS or Koodo issue?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21484 posts
2735 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest your wife try a new sim...

When u both tried new iphones, are these iphones without your backups restored and you just dialed the #s manually?

If so, thinking trying a new sim would be the next logical step..

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
390 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I suggest your wife try a new sim...

When u both tried new iphones, are these iphones without your backups restored and you just dialed the #s manually?

If so, thinking trying a new sim would be the next logical step..
Yea the new iPhones were setup as new, with nothing installed or synced. I may have an extra Koodo sim lying around so I’ll try that.

Telus called me back and said that their tech support team looked into my account further and can see nothing wrong and suggested I call Koodo. Koodo is now looking into it and will get back to me by Friday. What a headache.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
390 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Update: Issue has been fixed.
Quite possibly the strangest issue and fix so I figured I would share in case by some strange coincidence someone else has this problem.

After hours on the phone with Telus and Koodo, the problem turned out to be the Apple Watch and iPhone I was using on Telus. Part of the software on the iPhone was corrupt and would cause the calling problem when an Apple Watch was paired to it. Unpairing the Apple Watch would fix the issue until you paired it with the phone again. Factory resetting the Apple Watch wouldn’t help as the software glitch originated from the phone itself. So after a full DFU restore of the iPhone and resetting up the Apple Watch, all is well in the world.

Thankful for all the Telus and Koodo reps who were patient in helping me get to the bottom of the problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2179 posts
1230 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely a new one for me too!

Once the OP mentioned the problem went away when connecting via 3G I was baffled. I've seen issues with certain numbers not routing properly after ports (say, Bell numbers not being able to call you /getting out of service messages after you port to Telus, but nothing like this!

Koodos Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat to the reps for finally figuring it out.