Travel

Weird things that you miss about traveling....

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2014
1039 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto

Weird things that you miss about traveling....

There is something about traveling that is so mesmerizing...

It's not just about leaving your life behind to visit a new place... you could be going somewhere that you have been many times before, maybe to your native home or vacation spot. I miss traveling a lot, but it is the weird things that I miss as well, like packing your bags for the trip, locking the door to your house and triple checking that it's been locked, seeing that Departure roadsign on your way to Pearson Airport, checking your flight status on the board, wandering around the dutyfree shops... even watching a movie on that tiny in-flight entertainment screen.

I miss all of that, am I the only weird guy?

34 replies
Mar 8, 2004
619 posts
412 upvotes
Kanata
I wouldn't say you are weird because to me that is what travel is about. So it's normal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9594 posts
1566 upvotes
Montreal, QC
We all miss travel I think, but the aspect I miss the most is feeling like everything is so foreign, even in the most mundane of ways. That feeling that the world is so much bigger than we think even with tools like the internet.
Nov 27, 2004
372 posts
37 upvotes
I miss most of the mundane parts of travel: the airport experience, hotels, grabbing a bite at random fast-food restaurants. It's the little things in life, lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1971 posts
858 upvotes
HK
As a business traveler, I don't miss it. It was nice to:
-work remotely
-not having to wear business attire
-homemade food
-not having to pack and forget things either at home/hotel
-not running through airports to catch my flights
-not sitting at airports due to delayed/cancelled flights

I'm back on the road, and the quieter airports has been helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9535 posts
2153 upvotes
Somewhere
What I miss about traveling is being paid not to work.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5106 posts
4045 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote: There is something about traveling that is so mesmerizing...

It's not just about leaving your life behind to visit a new place... you could be going somewhere that you have been many times before, maybe to your native home or vacation spot. I miss traveling a lot, but it is the weird things that I miss as well, like packing your bags for the trip, locking the door to your house and triple checking that it's been locked, seeing that Departure roadsign on your way to Pearson Airport, checking your flight status on the board, wandering around the dutyfree shops... even watching a movie on that tiny in-flight entertainment screen.

I miss all of that, am I the only weird guy?
I don't miss any of that but I do miss figuring out my next trip and then spending months planning for it and just looking forward to the day off. I hate packing and the week and day of, until I'm in the air. I have to say I look forward to arriving back at home even though Pearson has the rudest people working there, especially those in security and customs, talk about insecurities and egos.
Last edited by hierophant on May 6th, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6077 posts
2941 upvotes
Toronto
You're not alone. In some countries, they offered "flights to nowhere" as an actual product people bought. As in, you go to the airport, through all the normal screening and processes, eat your airport food, get on board, airplane flies around, meals and drinks and so on, land back at the same airport and off you go in a taxi to your staycation hotel, to make it feel like a real vacation.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6939 posts
6482 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, that's enough internet for me for today
Manatus wrote: You're not alone. In some countries, they offered "flights to nowhere" as an actual product people bought. As in, you go to the airport, through all the normal screening and processes, eat your airport food, get on board, airplane flies around, meals and drinks and so on, land back at the same airport and off you go in a taxi to your staycation hotel, to make it feel like a real vacation.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1350 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: You're not alone. In some countries, they offered "flights to nowhere" as an actual product people bought. As in, you go to the airport, through all the normal screening and processes, eat your airport food, get on board, airplane flies around, meals and drinks and so on, land back at the same airport and off you go in a taxi to your staycation hotel, to make it feel like a real vacation.
I know Japan and Australia did this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5106 posts
4045 upvotes
If anything calls for a SMH, this is it. Honestly, that is so idiotic both in terms of the companies that offer it and the people that pay for it. Words just don't even describe what this says about humankind...we're so broken as a society that wasting resources, polluting the environment while potentially infected people share air space in close quarter is acceptable.

/rant
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1271 upvotes
Manatus wrote: In some countries, they offered "flights to nowhere" as an actual product people bought.
It's more an airline thing than country thing. They weren't just regular flights. Hong Kong Airlines had in flight bingo and other games with prizes. They also gave passengers swag bags filled with product samples and ads from sponsors. A negative COVID test result was required as well. I'm surprised these flights were even profitable.

Thai Airways opened a restaurant selling its in flight meals. They also had a street food stall selling the same. Their flight meals are now sold in some Thai supermarkets.

Similarly, Air Asia, ANA, Finnair and British Airways all diversified to sell their in flight meals at supermarkets or direct. Air Asia even opened a chain of restaurants.

On the cruise side, Royal Caribbean has been doing the Singapore 3 day cruise to nowhere for almost a year now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
5716 posts
1419 upvotes
The thing I miss about traveling is traveling.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4415 posts
681 upvotes
Georgetown
The one comment I expected has been posted yet... maybe not enough jokers in the Travel forum area?
Oct 8, 2020
40 posts
13 upvotes
Personally I prefer to work remotely which is more easier, we don't have travel back or forth that's kinda headaches for me :)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15259 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I miss many things ...
Big & Little just like the OP

But as a landlocked Central Cdn in Ontario
What I miss the absolute most
Is ...
THE OCEAN

I haven’t glimpsed it at all since my last cruise & land holiday over a year ago BEFORE COVID (BC )

With many provinces in lockdown a good part of this pandemic
I couldn’t even get a Cdn fix by going to The Maritimes or British Columbia last summer

I am literally “ocean starved” at this point
Every.single.one of my upcoming AFTER COVID (AC ) vacation plans ... of which I have 5 in the works for 2021 / 2022 / 2023
Include the ocean ... the beach ... and warm weather
Be they a cruise or a landlubbers holiday

Lol, to make up for our missing the ocean
We’ve spent a lot more time this past year at Iroquois Locks on the Seaway just watching ships from around the world come and go ... and daydreaming of far off places
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9123 posts
2099 upvotes
Vancouver
Great topic. I do miss business travel and face to face meetings. However for personal travel. That feeling of being on the runway engines firing up and take off. Knowing you only have a few days booked at a hotel to beat jet lag then living by the seat of your pants.

I got one jab in me so it’s feeling like maybe I’ll be able to go soon.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1849 posts
936 upvotes
Calgary, AB
The things in the OP are pretty much a list of the things I hate most about travelling. Those spending 8-12 hours in an uncomfortable seat with knees embedded in the person in fronts back, and the smell of aviation fuel.

As for what I miss. Perhaps turning up at a 5* hotel with a duffel bag and filthy clothes, not having washed for a week... The looks on peoples faces is always fun.
Aug 12, 2014
274 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hierophant wrote: If anything calls for a SMH, this is it. Honestly, that is so idiotic both in terms of the companies that offer it and the people that pay for it. Words just don't even describe what this says about humankind...we're so broken as a society that wasting resources, polluting the environment while potentially infected people share air space in close quarter is acceptable.

/rant
it's not as simple as that. pilot needs to stay current. (ex: minimum flying and training requirements) sure they can be fired but bringing them back after can be costly, same goes for the planes that are sent to short or long term storage.

it might be illogical for those buying the tickets, but not the airline selling them.