• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2021 1:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
483 posts
153 upvotes

Weirdest thing found in your car?!

The other post with title "Found this in my glovebox" got me thinking of one of the weirdest things I've found in a used (or new) car. Please share your stories and hopefully we'll all get a laugh.

My story:

Had my Jeep for a few years and went to the bank. Put a bank cheque I got in the glove box and locked it up for safe keeping. Next day, I unlocked the glove box and the cheque was missing. After initial panic and realizing no one else had the key, I realized it fell behind the glove box itself. I popped of he box and started feeling around behind the dash, after a few seconds I felt the cheque, old receipts and a package wrapped in plastic/foam. I gave package a yank and to my surprise pulled out a well wrapped, decent size pack of weed, buds and all!

I've owned the Jeep for a few years at the point, hauling my family around both north and south of the boarder. It sunk in that I was very lucky, if a drug dog had stopped me at the boarder, or the police did search, I'd be screwed, don't know if anyone would believe it wasn't mine. Funny thing was the vehicle was previously owned by a police officer (it had a few owners).

If you wonder what happened to the weed, I thought about turning it into the local police station, but decided against, I didn't want to be questioned for hours, chucked in the trash/green bin.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1611 posts
718 upvotes
Ontario
My sweet dear ole grandma had a rifle hidden in her trunk when she gave me her car many eons ago, lol...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1407 posts
1411 upvotes
Around 1996 I was stupid enough to buy 1982 Hyundai Pony.
A t least it was super cheap.
One time I needed to replace a flat tire, I opened the trunk, and underneath the cover, I found a spare tire, still covered in Korean newspapers.
I guess nobody touched it in 14 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9144 posts
3393 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: My sweet dear ole grandma had a rifle hidden in her trunk when she gave me her car many eons ago, lol...
LOL, My Grampa kept a 12 gauge behind the bench seat of every truck he ever owned.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7322 posts
5338 upvotes
Kitchener
Extra badges and O2 sensors under the trunk carpet of my Chrysler Intrepid (someone in the factory stashed them under there) :)
Oct 20, 2010
542 posts
151 upvotes
Last September, my brother in law bought a cpo mazda for his daughter at a Barrie dealership. He got home, was checking the car and prepping the car(to give as a bday gift) and he oppened the glove box to find weed nicelly wrapped... :')

double present Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
no cd player in a 2016 chev.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5473 posts
2280 upvotes
Toronto
I borrowed a car once in Asia that literally had a hidden switch in the back of the glovebox that was a killswitch for the fuel gauge. Well, the opposite of a killswitch, you flick the switch and it will show the fuel tank as being full all the time. Apparently in some countries it is considered smuggling to fill up your gas tank in another country and drive back, so they do spot checks on vehicles leaving to make sure your gas tank is full or mostly full. I feel like installing a defeat device in your car just so you can save money on the occasional tank of gas is ultimate RFD.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44543 posts
7640 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
xrvr wrote: Around 1996 I was stupid enough to buy 1982 Hyundai Pony.
One time I needed to replace a flat tire, I opened the trunk, and underneath the cover, I found a spare tire, still covered in Korean newspapers.
Korean newspaper was actually used to help reduce cabin noise.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9480 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Korean newspaper was actually used to help reduce cabin noise.
Or maybe something to read for the last person kidnapped and transported in the trunk of that car.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
483 posts
153 upvotes
xrvr wrote: Around 1996 I was stupid enough to buy 1982 Hyundai Pony.
I had a 1987 Hyundai Pony as my first car. I didn't opt for the right side mirror or Korean newspaper soundproofing option.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
483 posts
153 upvotes
2nd weirdest thing found.

I use to own a 2 door sports car many years ago. One day while deep cleaning out the car I found a thin, silky thong stuffed on the side of the passenger seat that was hard to see. I picked them up and threw them in the glove box. Next day I confronted my girlfriend at the time and asked her not to do that anymore, since they could of been found by someone else. She sternly looked at me and started yelling, "they weren't hers" and "why do I have another girl in my car". I shut up and took the lashing, and days of sleeping in the dog house.

Sad thing is I didn't allow other girls in the car, except my mom or sister. But to black-out the alternatives on how the thongs got there I live with the assumption some drunk chicks threw them in as I often left my car parked with the sunroof open. Lol!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1407 posts
1411 upvotes
Manatus wrote: I borrowed a car once in Asia that literally had a hidden switch in the back of the glovebox that was a killswitch for the fuel gauge.
Not my car, but still. Coworker about 5 years ago went to test drive used Range Rover, he knew already about problems with these cars, but still, couldn't resist.
So, some crappy used car dealership in Scarborough, they are asking $25k for it.
Sometime during the test drive, he notices a plain toggle switch on the dashboard, obviously not factory installed.
He asks sales person, what is it for?
Guy doesn't even hesitates, oh yeah, you have to watch the temperature gauge, if it goes above 90, you have to flip it on, to turn the fan on.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8690 upvotes
v82slo wrote: The other post with title "Found this in my glovebox" got me thinking of one of the weirdest things I've found in a used (or new) car. Please share your stories and hopefully we'll all get a laugh.
See now this is what I was expecting from that thread, lol. Thumbs up for you good sir!
v82slo wrote: My story:

Had my Jeep for a few years and went to the bank. Put a bank cheque I got in the glove box and locked it up for safe keeping. Next day, I unlocked the glove box and the cheque was missing. After initial panic and realizing no one else had the key, I realized it fell behind the glove box itself. I popped of he box and started feeling around behind the dash, after a few seconds I felt the cheque, old receipts and a package wrapped in plastic/foam. I gave package a yank and to my surprise pulled out a well wrapped, decent size pack of weed, buds and all!
Wow. Yeah if you had been pulled for secondary and for some reason they thought you had drugs, dogs would have found it for sure and you'd have been screwed. That said if you never did any weed at the time (nor your wife or kids) you'd be able to get a hair test showing you were never a marijuana user and probably eventually get cleared but it would be a lonnng process and a lot of headaches and $$$ spent for lawyer, etc. Given the car was a used vehicle that would also help your case, but the real save would be not being a THC "user". If you actually smoked weed in your personal life, you'd probably not be allowed into the US to this day LOL.

I have no real stories because all the cars I owned and my family owned were purchased new except for one my dad had at one point but nothing interesting there. I even replaced the heater core on that car single-handedly in my late teens and never found anything behind the dash or anything like that.

Only somewhat interesting tale I have is when I must have been like 12-13 and too young to drive... Family had a rental car we went down to Florida with. When we came back we had maybe a day or two left with the car before returning. I was cleaning it out making sure we got everything out of it and being the inquisitive "car guy" I've always been, I fiddled around with some other stuff including removing the spare tyre cover (trunk floor) which no one would normally do. I found some, uh, "magazines" under there let's just say LOL. 100% no one from my family had put them there so must have been a previous renter. I took them out and brought them in and uh "made use" of them, let's just say :lol: I actually put them back there before we returned the car with no one the wiser. Now keep in mind that this was back way before this stuff was easily accessible and freely available on the intarwebs or anything like that. Heck even home PCs were somewhat rare--didn't get one of those until a few years later and still no intarwebs like today then either. So, naturally I kicked myself for some time later for stupidly putting them back! :lol:
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10038 posts
12003 upvotes
Vancouver
I lost a Swiss Army knife when I was 9 years old. Had no idea where it went. I loved that knife; my dad had engraved my name on it. When I was 17 i spilled some change in the car and it went behind the rear seat. I reached in after it and pulled out the knife!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13616 posts
7746 upvotes
Toronto
As a teenager I worked at a hand car wash, I found all kinds of stuff

Bullets, knives, were up there

The 2 best stories. My colleague furiously vacuuming “leaves” under the seat of a car without noticing what it was.

Turns out it was a brick of hash or weed. The owner came back asking for it and was furious, he figured we stole it. We showed him the vacuum we had used

The ladies thong I found under the seat of a lady’s Suzuki Sidekick. I left it on her gear shifter.

The look of embarrassment on her face when she got in to leave was priceless
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Manatus wrote: I borrowed a car once in Asia that literally had a hidden switch in the back of the glovebox that was a killswitch for the fuel gauge. Well, the opposite of a killswitch, you flick the switch and it will show the fuel tank as being full all the time. Apparently in some countries it is considered smuggling to fill up your gas tank in another country and drive back, so they do spot checks on vehicles leaving to make sure your gas tank is full or mostly full. I feel like installing a defeat device in your car just so you can save money on the occasional tank of gas is ultimate RFD.
Must have been a SIngapore car. Can't leave unless the tank is a least 3/4 full. Fuel price appears to be 70% or so lower in Malaysia.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.