• Jul 7th, 2020 6:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4508 posts
4922 upvotes

The weirdest 'trap' setup underneath a sink

After taking a look at a home built by a custom builder, I came across this. (image).

Does this also seem weird to anyone else?!
20200706_193352.jpg
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5071 posts
1463 upvotes
Kitchener
Needs a vent connection before elbow goes down, or a longer drain extenstion to get rid of the elbow. Drain point in the wall is probably too low, so there wasn't enough clearance for the p-trap. Throw in a clean-out while it's being corrected
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4508 posts
4922 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: Needs a vent connection before elbow goes down, or a longer drain extenstion to get rid of the elbow
Sorry, my understanding of plumbing is limited to the extent that I know how to spell it. The thing that is weird to me is the horizontal portion where water would just be 'stuck' there. I presume you are in agreement that the picture in question is simply plumbing done wrongly?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5071 posts
1463 upvotes
Kitchener
Water won't get stuck, but this setup typically siphons the water out of the p-trap and permits sewer gases coming up from the sink drain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
It’s not “weird”. It’s just what we would call an “s” trap.Very common mistake that amateurs make when the rough in is low
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21002 posts
7348 upvotes
Toronto
Drthorne wrote: Needs a vent connection before elbow goes down, or a longer drain extenstion to get rid of the elbow. Drain point in the wall is probably too low, so there wasn't enough clearance for the p-trap. Throw in a clean-out while it's being corrected
n00b here.

Am I correct in thinking there actually may be enough clearance for a p-trap, but the main drain pipe was too short, and the installer just didn't bother installing an extension and screwed up by converting it to an s-trap?

Either way, that is concerning to find that for a build by a supposed "custom builder".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
EugW wrote: n00b here.

Am I correct in thinking there actually may be enough clearance for a p-trap, but the main drain pipe was too short, and the installer just didn't bother installing an extension and screwed up by converting it to an s-trap?

Either way, that is concerning to find that for a build by a supposed "custom builder".
They could have done the offset with Abs upstream of the trap

“Custom” in this case probably means budget flip reno with what looks like Diy work. Faucet is a run of the mill big box Pfister, and “rough in” is completely off.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3012 posts
1286 upvotes
Biggest issue is rough in too low to accommodate P-trap, so proper way to fix it is break open the wall, raise the rough in connection four to six inches, and install a proper P-trap, major work for something that could have been corrected at reasonable cost in terms of materials and labour when house was being bult / renoed
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8178 posts
5091 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, whoever plumbed this originally screwed up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)