Home & Garden

Weiser Lock Question? Is it normal for the key to come out when not returned to origional position?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2022 11:54 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes

Weiser Lock Question? Is it normal for the key to come out when not returned to origional position?

First time owning a home with a Weiser key lock. One thing I find strange is when I put the key in the lock to unlock the door, and turn the key to the unlock position, the key is able to come out of the cylinder before it is turned back to its original location,

Is this considered normal operation of a Weiser lock or is my lock defected? It is my first time owning a weiser lock and key. I also tried to test it at Lowe's / Home Depot with the display units but the staff don't know where the keys are so I cant test.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13362 posts
8297 upvotes
Brampton
GoodFellaz wrote: First time owning a home with a Weiser key lock. One thing I find strange is when I put the key in the lock to unlock the door, and turn the key to the unlock position, the key is able to come out of the cylinder before it is turned back to its original location,

Is this considered normal operation of a Weiser lock or is my lock defected? It is my first time owning a weiser lock and key. I also tried to test it at Lowe's / Home Depot with the display units but the staff don't know where the keys are so I cant test.
That's not right.

Someone may have tampered with it. Possibly using the smart key vulnerability.

Either way the internals are junk, swap them all to Schlages or Medeco
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
yes it has the little smart hole in it. Okay so good to know it is not normal. I was able to rekey the lock to a different key, but I guess a change of lock is needed, thanks for the help
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1874 posts
1401 upvotes
Barrie ON
Your lock may have been forced open. Check if you can turn the mechanism without fully inserting the key
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
the key needs to be fully inserted
it just means the previous owners before me must have broke it some how so im getting a new one
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1874 posts
1401 upvotes
Barrie ON
GoodFellaz wrote: the key needs to be fully inserted
it just means the previous owners before me must have broke it some how so im getting a new one
I have a Weiser Z-Wave Smart Lock, and I love it. But you should be aware how easy it is to open one of these "Smart Key" locks, and recognize that this may have already happened to your lock.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
that is deep.

thanks for sharing it

maybe I will try Shlage? i heard theyre slightly better

can you use a shlaige key and weiser keys interchangably? i have some weiser locks in my house want to share the same key
Drive an Escalade