• Mar 25th, 2019 6:51 am
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2123 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto

Weiser Smartcode 10 electronic lock having trouble

Hi,

We installed a Weiser Smartcode 10 electronic lock and it's been working well since we moved in December 2018. However, within the last week or so when we hit the lock button it looks like it tries to turn the deadbolt, but fails and blinks red. I suspect that perhaps due to changes in the weather or humidity either the frame or door have swelled slightly and are putting more tension on the deadbolt mechanism. Turning it manually from the inside it does feel a bit tighter, but hard to say definitively. It's spotty as to whether it locks properly or not, and we're using a regular key as a backup. I've also replaced the batteries with a fresh set.

As a solution I think I will do the "lipstick" test and see if the deadbolt is rubbing up against the strikeplate. If so, I can file the strikeplate to create more space and hopefully relieve stress on the mechanism.

Wondering if anyone has experience similar or has any thoughts.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Alignment is usually the issue.
My Yale Smart lock went through 2 winters without any problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
Sephora wrote: when we hit the lock button it looks like it tries to turn the deadbolt, but fails and blinks red. I suspect that perhaps due to changes in the weather or humidity either the frame or door have swelled slightly and are putting more tension on the deadbolt mechanism. Turning it manually from the inside it does feel a bit tighter, but hard to say definitively. It's spotty as to whether it locks properly or not, and we're using a regular key as a backup. I've also replaced the batteries with a fresh set.

As a solution I think I will do the "lipstick" test and see if the deadbolt is rubbing up against the strikeplate. If so, I can file the strikeplate to create more space and hopefully relieve stress on the mechanism
I installed a Z-Wave version of the same lock when my new double front doors were installed at a cost of ~$7,000. The lock worked find for several months, but I noticed the battery was only lasting about 3 months at a time.

I tried operating the lock by hand, when the door was both opened, and closed. There was definitely extra resistance felt when the door was closed. I determined which side of the strike plate the bolt was rubbing against, and filed it down. The bolt now slides like butter when the door is opened or closed, and the battery lasts for close to a year now.

I suggest using Lithium AA batteries which are more immune to the effects of cold weather, and the extra cost will be more than compensated by the longer battery life and the reduced work changing the batteries.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
I should have also suggested that you make sure that the door latch has not become worn or maladjusted before making changes to the deadbolt strike plate. If the main latch has become worn, the door may no longer be sealing properly against the weatherstripping, causing air leaks. If this is the case, then correct that problem before working on the rubbing deadbolt.
Apr 14, 2006
416 posts
278 upvotes
I had Weisers before. Long story short...get the Schlage BE365. It's still an electronic lock but much more reliable as it doesn't rely on a motor to turn the bolt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)