• Jul 30th, 2020 8:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
262 posts
68 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Well or city water

My dad was contacted by the city asking if he wanted to change to city water now for a few thousand or keep his well water. They’re building subdivision next door and was told it will cost several thousand more to do it later.

City water will result in $15 minimum monthly charge. Well water is free.

Are there any benefits to converting to city?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5075 posts
3366 upvotes
Abacus1010 wrote: My dad was contacted by the city asking if he wanted to change to city water now for a few thousand or keep his well water.

City water will result in $15 minimum monthly charge. Well water is free.

Are there any benefits to converting to city?
$15 monthly charges for as much as he needs? or for a limited cu. meters? Well water have to be tested. City water is tested by the city. When there is a problem with the citie's water they make an advicory. When there is a problem with your well no one tells you unless it is detected at the right time by the laboratory...

Edit: forgot to mention that with a well you probbly have to be cautious of the water you useto not empty your well... Let's say you have a pool to fill, or whatever... Note that I am not encouraging waste of drinking water.
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Jul 29th, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
262 posts
68 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
DoorCrasher wrote: $15 monthly charges for as much as he needs? or for a limited cu. meters? Well water have to be tested. City water is tested by the city. When there is a problem with the citie's water they make an advicory. When there is a problem with your well no one tells you unless it is detected at the right time by the laboratory...
It’s their cottage. $15 minimum each month plus consumption.

What about future resale value?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5075 posts
3366 upvotes
Abacus1010 wrote: It’s their cottage. $15 minimum each month plus consumption.

What about future resale value?
$15/month just to be hooked to the city pipe, + ALL what they use? How much per Cu. Meters ?
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
262 posts
68 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
DoorCrasher wrote: $15/month just to be hooked to the city pipe, + ALL what they use? How much per Cu. Meters ?
I don’t know what the consumption rate would be. Water is generally cheap though. Maybe for them looking at $50 per month
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5075 posts
3366 upvotes
Abacus1010 wrote: I don’t know what the consumption rate would be. Water is generally cheap though. Maybe for them looking at $50 per month
well $50/month is not THAT cheap IMHO... And, if it is their cottage where they live at only few weeks a year' I'd stick to the well. But that's me
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1040 posts
913 upvotes
If it was me I would go with city water. You don't have to be concerned with water quality, or pump... In particular if well water is hard.
Your reality is a manifestation of your mind.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14145 posts
11353 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
City.

Fewer issues.

Running your well low or dry can be dangerous / toxic

During a hot dry summer it can be a real problem ... like here in Eastern Ontario right now (well up until today ... when we finally got some decent rain ... and more coming over the next few days)

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/rural-homeown ... -1.5038215
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8816 posts
4492 upvotes
Paris
I grew up with city water and septic system. Best of both worlds as you get a cheap source of water and dont pay sewer (so long as your septic isnt shit)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1407 posts
232 upvotes
Grimsby
A cause for concern might be the after effect of excavating for the new sub division. A friend had a well and once they put town water into his neighbourhood ground disturbance caused his well to run dry.

Not to say that will be your Dad's experience but water tables can be funny things. City water is safe and we can always expect to find it at the tap when needed.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4412 posts
1727 upvotes
Ottawa
Well water is not free. The well needs to be monitored and, occasionally, you have to maintain the pump, the pipe from the well to the house, the pumptrol, and the pressure tank in the house. Plus, you sometimes have to replace these items - granted, you should be able to get 20-30 years out of most of these components. Plus, you should have the water tested at least once or twice a year and you may even need a softener and filters. OTOH, municipal water is (usually) safe, clean, and has good pressure. A couple of thousand for a hook-up is way cheaper than the replacement cost for all the equipment one needs to run a well.

I am on a well and all my equipment is functioning properly right now but if I was offered municipal hook-up for a couple of thousand, I would probably bite.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4374 posts
949 upvotes
I'm currently looking for a secondary property and I would love to be able to have a municipal water supply available. A municipally managed, safe, reliable water source can only increase the value of the property and it's one less headache to manage as a property owner.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky