• Jun 10th, 2014 5:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 14, 2013
10 posts
brampton

Well paying job for full-time students

Hi,

I am going back to school this fall and will be enrolled full time.

What are my options for jobs which pay more than 13$ an hour, I already have a graduate degree and enough work experience. But will be short on time, any suggestions?

I am looking at security jobs as a back up, does security pay well? Which company pays the best starting wage?

Any advice will be helpful and appreciated. :)
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I think night shift security jobs (like those guys sitting at the desk all night in the condo or offices) are great when in school. Gives a lot of study time.
I worked graveyard in a call center in university but only got about 1 or 2 hours a night of reading/study in. Had a friend worked security and pretty much read all night except the odd call or walk a woman working late to her car.
popeye202 wrote: Hi,

I am going back to school this fall and will be enrolled full time.

What are my options for jobs which pay more than 13$ an hour, I already have a graduate degree and enough work experience. But will be short on time, any suggestions?

I am looking at security jobs as a back up, does security pay well? Which company pays the best starting wage?

Any advice will be helpful and appreciated. :)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20469 posts
4230 upvotes
Toronto
Go to school at night and get a regular day job.
Jul 7, 2014
60 posts
6 upvotes
Victoria, BC
eldeejay wrote: I think night shift security jobs (like those guys sitting at the desk all night in the condo or offices) are great when in school. Gives a lot of study time.
I worked graveyard in a call center in university but only got about 1 or 2 hours a night of reading/study in. Had a friend worked security and pretty much read all night except the odd call or walk a woman working late to her car.
Agreed. If you can stomach the lack of sleep, graveyard jobs generally hit 12/13 an hr as most employers offer a premium for the odd hours. I would definitely suggest looking on campus for a graveyard job since all schools generally have some sort of emergency/essential service open 24 hrs.

True story: my undergrad had a desk that was open 24 hrs to assist with any student inquiries. One of the employees was doing a masters (amongst a lot of other research/teaching work) and when I asked him how he managed his time so well to be able to take on the additional desk job, he admitted that he did all his studying at work since nobody was ever around.