Shopping Discussion

Went shopping at Walmart today (was told self checkout only option)

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 9:34 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: The smart answer (for the store) would be to have a real checkout though.
I do agree with you on principle, that was more a food for thought argument.
Only problem with that is it's the way we are headed. It's only going to get worse in the next 5-10 years so people will need to adapt It's still somewhat the early stages and no doubt some stores are losing business because of it but it's a matter of how much are they losing vs how much they are saving or will save down the road
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I especially hate the idiots who stop about 5 meters past the entrance, right in the centre of the path, to dp any or all of 1-slowly read the coupon sheet they were just handed 2-slowly put their membership card back in their wallet/purse 3-take off their heavy winter coat 4-pick up toddler to put into cart 5-talk/text/browse on mobile phone.... If you need to do any of these things MOVE TO THE SIDE PLEASE.
Got it. Stopping IN the entrance instead Face With Tears Of Joy
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Got it. Stopping IN the entrance instead Face With Tears Of Joy
I don't usually see that, it usually happens in that "sweet spot" between the notebook computers on one side and the weekly sales pallets on the other.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: It's only going to get worse in the next 5-10 years so people will need to adapt
I'd have no problems with self checkouts if they were designed intelligently.
If the current trend is any indication of the future, I'm probably going to stop shopping at brick and mortar.

It's still somewhat the early stages and no doubt some stores are losing business because of it but it's a matter of how much are they losing vs how much they are saving or will save down the road
I definitely can't argue the cost savings, but customer experience is a thing too.
I've already stopped shopping at Walmart due to the ridiculous checkouts. It wouldn't be that much more of a stretch to eliminate other brick and mortar as well.

I do like that internet ordering and in store pickups are a thing, but even that's being done weirdly.
Superstore for example. I want to punch their web developers or probably the manglement that approved that train wreck.

The big problem with that is that there's no "speed" way of picking up. It's a day long process at minimum.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I don't usually see that, it usually happens in that "sweet spot" between the notebook computers on one side and the weekly sales pallets on the other.
It's usually more on the out side rather than in.
It's "natural" to stop and make sure you have your receipt, slowly put it away, put on their coat they took off, wrangle the crotch goblins, and send that extremely urgent text while in the door way.
Jan 12, 2007
546 posts
502 upvotes
Orleans
Just talked to a security guard at a 24hrs shoppers drugmart where there were no cashiers only self checkouts overnight.

He mentioned starting April 1st, almost all of the 24hrs shoppers will revert to 10pm closing time. Between thefts, security costs and higher cashier wages, it's no longer profitable for them to stay open.

$14 min wage just "helped" a few hundred more workers.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
97gst wrote: Just talked to a security guard at a 24hrs shoppers drugmart where there were no cashiers only self checkouts overnight.

He mentioned starting April 1st, almost all of the 24hrs shoppers will revert to 10pm closing time. Between thefts, security costs and higher cashier wages, it's no longer profitable for them to stay open.

The immediate change I saw in these parts were Metro and Sobeys (which had been 24 hour stores for years) immediately changing to 10pm closings. Looks like SDM is following suit.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
97gst wrote: Just talked to a security guard at a 24hrs shoppers drugmart where there were no cashiers only self checkouts overnight.

The reason they're shutting down early is because nobody shops at shoppers drug mart. Nothing to do with the $2/hr increase in cashier wages. They need to find a way to get some, (ANY) customers before whining about anything else.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Didn't realize so many people were passionate about this. The thing is, I werk my azz off Monday to Friday, even Saturday and Sunday. I don't want to go to the store and all of a sudden have to check myself out, or even bag my groceries. Listen, if I have to, i will bag myself but at least check me out, that's not too much to ask. The only reason to use the self checkout is if you literally have 1-3 things in your cart, and there's no point in having 5 Lanes in express open AND a self checkout with no cashier in the regular lanes. That is redundant!!! FFS open up the regular lanes, stop pushing people to use the stupid self checkout!! It's not about being a technology idiot, I just rather have someone help me with my groceries.

I don't care, Ill still wait in line 10-15 minutes longer for a cashier than do my own checkout. I have my phone, I can just relax and entertain myself while waiting so no big deal.
Jan 12, 2007
546 posts
502 upvotes
Orleans
blaznazn22 wrote: Nothing to do with the $2/hr increase in cashier wages.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Oh so they're making record profits? I guess the minimum wage increase had no affect on them.

But honestly, the only reason this place is profitable is because of the pharmacy. Nobody would go there if not for the pharmacy. It would have filed for bankruptcy protection a long time ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I'd have no problems with self checkouts if they were designed intelligently.
If the current trend is any indication of the future, I'm probably going to stop shopping at brick and mortar.

I definitely can't argue the cost savings, but customer experience is a thing too.
I've already stopped shopping at Walmart due to the ridiculous checkouts. It wouldn't be that much more of a stretch to eliminate other brick and mortar as well.

I do like that internet ordering and in store pickups are a thing, but even that's being done weirdly.
Superstore for example. I want to punch their web developers or probably the manglement that approved that train wreck.

The big problem with that is that there's no "speed" way of picking up. It's a day long process at minimum.
You mentioned that you have different shopping habits than most in this thread but here's where I am the outlier. I hate internet shopping in general. I refuse to do it. I'd rather drive 25 min each way to go to my local Chapters or store x and pick up the item and browse rather than click on it on a computer screen
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: You mentioned that you have different shopping habits than most in this thread but here's where I am the outlier. I hate internet shopping in general. I refuse to do it. I'd rather drive 25 min each way to go to my local Chapters or store x and pick up the item and browse rather than click on it on a computer screen
I'm totally the opposite.
If I could get everything I buy now delivered to my door (or the UPS Store which is my pickup location) I'd do it in a heart beat.

I absolutely loathe retail.
From idiots generally being idiots, those same idiots parking like said idiots, store staff that are also idiots, idiots treating those store staff like idiots, the store having idiots doing stocking, the idiots that wrote the inventory system.

My favorite story was when I wanted a propane torch. I was near a Lowes anyway so I figured I'd pop in.
I have the part number in hand (along with the SKU). They confirmed they had stock. No one knew where it was.
I wandered up and down aisles looking for the damn thing. Every associate I talked to pointed me to a different department.
Finally one person made it their mission to actually help me find it. While I was waiting for them, I literally pulled up Amazon.com because this was like the 8th person I talked to so far and I didn't have high hopes.
I literally spent over an hour there. This guy FINALLY found it for me. It was in the "general tools" (I don't know the actual department name) section.

It would have taken me all of 30 seconds to buy it at Amazon and about 5 days for it to get here since it was US.
If Amazon Canada had it, it wouldn't have even been a question. I would have stopped after it wasn't in the plumbing section.

That's not to say that online shopping is always the bees knees. Loblaws for example. I don't know how @JoeStale does it.
Their website is god awful. They had a promo in December for like X points if you spend $Y money.
I spent 4 hours on their website looking for things. It literally would have been quicker to wander the entire store and touch literally everything in the building.

Overall though, most websites are at least sane. I'd take internet shopping pretty much any day of the week.
What I wouldn't give for Costco to have in store pickup...
Feb 25, 2004
590 posts
274 upvotes
If this happens and you don't want to use the self serve, just leave your items there and walk out. the amount of money and time they'll spend putting everything back might encourage them to open a few more
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
The other day at Wal-Mart was funny, it was late and there was only one cashier available. We were four people in line and one of the Wal-Mart staffers kept coming to us multiple times and pestering us to use self-checkout, and all customers in the line kept saying them no. One customer was so fed up that he spoke loudly and said "YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB, THEY TRIED IT IN CANADIAN TIRE IN ONTARIO AND CLOSED THEM AFTER TWO YEARS".

One of them even came to me and said "please, use it, I'll scan the items myself".

They were incredibly persistent. But we all held our ground. I was proud of humanity for once.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
blaznazn22 wrote: Oh so they're making record profits? I guess the minimum wage increase had no affect on them.

But honestly, the only reason this place is profitable is because of the pharmacy. Nobody would go there if not for the pharmacy. It would have filed for bankruptcy protection a long time ago.
The PCO program has saved SDM. It's an ingenious way for them to get people to pay those outrageous full prices for their products...give them what amounts to grocery store coupons. Full sales figures for SDM, and the PCO points redeemed for groceries are on Loblaws Corporate's books, not SDM's.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Poutinesauce wrote: The other day at Wal-Mart was funny, it was late and there was only one cashier available. We were four people in line and one of the Wal-Mart staffers kept coming to us multiple times and pestering us to use self-checkout, and all customers in the line kept saying them no. One customer was so fed up that he spoke loudly and said "YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB, THEY TRIED IT IN CANADIAN TIRE IN ONTARIO AND CLOSED THEM AFTER TWO YEARS".

One of them even came to me and said "please, use it, I'll scan the items myself".

They were incredibly persistent. But we all held our ground. I was proud of humanity for once.
lmfao, I don't understand these cashiers. Why would they tell us to use the self checkout, its their jobs on the line. For myself, I will use self checkout if I only have 6 items in my cart or less and even in that case i'll avoid self checkout if the regular express lanes are relatively clear. I'm that lazy plus id rather a human help me check my stuff out. Why would people even use self checkout?? Walmart is a BILLION DOLLAR machine!! They pulled in like 50 billion in profits last year from the things they sell in the store, otherwise known as US THE PEOPLE who shop there. Now they want to make even more money, which I don't have a problem with. What I do have a problem with is when it involves ME doing extra work that I don't want to!!

Walmart, don't involve your customers in your money making schemes and treat your workers with some respect FFS. $15 an hour isn't all that much to a big corporation such as yourself.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Becks wrote: Self-checkout doesn't take cash payment. It is Walmart's fault for being so cheap and not having a non-express checkout available. It is all about saving money for them, just like their ridiculous policy of no instore flyers.
Some Walmart stores do. Some have no self checkouts at all in my city.
Traveling 😁
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
What rubs me the wrong way is their new recording at self checkout.

At this point, only reason to go to Walmart is to see all the characters that go to that store.