Shopping Discussion

As a Western Canadian, why is everyone seemingly so obsessive with Ontario peaches?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7342 posts
8018 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

As a Western Canadian, why is everyone seemingly so obsessive with Ontario peaches?

Where I work it is literally impossible for us to get them (no distribution chain from Eastern Canada at all), but some people seemingly get downright ornery when I try and explain it to them, and "Oh but we do have BC peaches right now!" does nothing to assuage them.

I just don't get it?
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2490 posts
1807 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Maybe in Manitoba. I've never seen anyone GAS in Alberta.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I don’t think I have ever had a BC Peach …
But here’s my thoughts

Is this a yearly occurrence
Or fairly new happening ?

I would think that the BC Wildfires would greatly affect this years crop in particular

Cannot imagine what a non intended Smokey Peach would taste like

Probably not that appetizing

Ontario peaches grow primarily in and around Vineland in the Niagara Region
They are at coordinates … 43°9′14″N 79°23′32″W

That’s quite a long distance from Ontario’s Wildfires which are happening in Northern Ontario
And primarily above Kenora at coordinates … 49°46′N 94°29′W
And around 1800 Kms away
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
It's the only time I eat peaches is around now, I refuse to eat any imported peaches.

I don't think any Canadian peaches would travel well when they are picked at (or close) to their peak.

I've had a friend recently move to BC and had their local peaches that were also great. This was a few weeks before the Ontario crop was ready.

I never had a Western Canada peach, but during the season I'd think they're just as great.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
3023 posts
2832 upvotes
Guelph
Peaches come from a can

They were put there by a man

In a factory downtown
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
I used to live in Calgary. Now I'm in Ottawa.

In my purely subjective opinion, BC peaches are equally as delicious as Ontario peaches. My toddler, who would eat peaches as his only food if we'd let him, would agree.

However, BC blueberries and cherries are far superior to east coast blueberries and cherries. Ontario corn can't quite compare to Taber corn, either; and I haven't found any carrots out here that even come close to the little spears of sugary gold from Beck Farms in Innisfail, AB, though the carrots grown by Roots and Shoots in Masham, QC come close.

Ontario strawberries kick the crap out of western Canadian strawberries, though.
Last edited by Dynatos on Aug 18th, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
Seemingly seems to be the operative word here. I suspect it's just your perception people are "obsessed" based on a couple of isolated conversations.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2004
6801 posts
8455 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
There's a certain percentage of the population that spends an inordinate amount of time procuring certain types of foods (farmer's market, organic, non-GMO, etc). It isn't anything new. I grew up hearing the same thing in BC about "Chilliwack Corn". People would drive 2 hours round trip to buy corn in Chilliwack because, you know, grocery store corn was garbage (even though it likely came from Chilliwack?). And the ONLY way to eat corn was if you bought it from an old truck on the side of a dirt road off some farm in Chilliwack. That myth is still well and alive today. I think they now put little stickers on the corn in some grocery stores saying "This corn is from Chilliwack". But people still drive to Chilliwack. I would really love to see a double blind test done on some of these people.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
adamtheman wrote: There's a certain percentage of the population that spends an inordinate amount of time procuring certain types of foods (farmer's market, organic, non-GMO, etc). It isn't anything new. I grew up hearing the same thing in BC about "Chilliwack Corn". People would drive 2 hours round trip to buy corn in Chilliwack because, you know, grocery store corn was garbage (even though it likely came from Chilliwack?). And the ONLY way to eat corn was if you bought it from an old truck on the side of a dirt road off some farm in Chilliwack. That myth is still well and alive today. I think they now put little stickers on the corn in some grocery stores saying "This corn is from Chilliwack". But people still drive to Chilliwack. I would really love to see a double blind test done on some of these people.
Alberta and Saskatchewan are similar with corn. Taber corn is sold for $1/cob out of the back of trucks in parking lots all over both provinces.

I can 100% tell the difference between a cob of Taber corn and a cob of imported US grown corn, or a cob of Taber corn and any cob of corn I've had in Ontario, farmer direct or otherwise.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
10866 posts
2702 upvotes
Victoria
jacnel wrote: Peaches come from a can

They were put there by a man

In a factory downtown
If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches every day...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dynatos wrote: I used to live in Calgary. Now I'm in Ottawa.

In my purely subjective opinion, BC peaches are equally as delicious as Ontario peaches. My toddler, who would eat peaches as his only food if we'd let him, would agree.

However, BC blueberries and cherries are far superior to east coast blueberries and cherries. Ontario corn can't quite compare to Taber corn, either; and I haven't found any carrots out here that even come close to the little spears of sugary gold from Beck Farms in Innisfail, AB, though the carrots grown by Roots and Shoots in Masham, QC come close.

Ontario strawberries kick the crap out of western Canadian strawberries, though.
Having lived all over Canada … I agree with most of what you say …
Except for blueberries

And I think most folks in Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces would agree with me
As they are THE WORLDS LARGEST PROVIDER OF WILD BLUEBERRIES
Heck the Blueberry is even officially registered as a Provincial Symbol in Nova Scotia !

Now … you want to talk Saskatoon Berries / Serviceberries …
A close relative to the blueberry
And often confused with the blueberry by non locals
But BIGGER than a blueberry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia

Then I agree …
Saskatoon Berries from Western Canada
Can run circles around those grown in the Western USA
Probably cuz of our cooler climate

And many blueberry lovers cannot get enough Saskatoon Berries
Cuz it’s like blueberries on steroids
With their bigger size
More sweet goodness in every bowl
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5263 upvotes
Mississauga
Ontario field tomatoes are the best. And we're in peak season now.

So many BLT's, so little time...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Having lived all over Canada … I agree with most of what you say …
Except for blueberries

And I think most folks in Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces would agree with me
As they are THE WORLDS LARGEST PROVIDER OF WILD BLUEBERRIES
Heck the Blueberry is even officially registered as a Provincial Symbol in Nova Scotia !

Now … you want to talk Saskatoon Berries / Serviceberries …
A close relative to the blueberry
And often confused with the blueberry by non locals
But BIGGER than a blueberry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia

Then I agree …
Saskatoon Berries from Western Canada
Can run circles around those grown in the Western USA
Probably cuz of our cooler climate

And many blueberry lovers cannot get enough Saskatoon Berries
Cuz it’s like blueberries on steroids
With their bigger size
More sweet goodness in every bowl
All the Saskatoon berries I have ever had were piddling little 5mm things full of seeds. That said, they were natural trees not bred for commercial cropping. I do not like the flavour as much as I do a blueberry.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Where I work it is literally impossible for us to get them (no distribution chain from Eastern Canada at all), but some people seemingly get downright ornery when I try and explain it to them, and "Oh but we do have BC peaches right now!" does nothing to assuage them.

I just don't get it?
Neither do I. I bought some recently & they looked excellent with a bright red blush but they were not very sweet (or sour), sort of tasteless. The ones I got from the US earlier in the season were far better, sweeter and more flavourful with a bit of tang. I cooked some of the Ontario peaches with sugar to fix them & gave the rest away, they were that uninspiring.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5271 posts
3735 upvotes
Vancouver
Its because most users of RFD are in GTA (since that area is more populated too). So obviously there are a lot of people interested in ontario peaches. Remember spot pawns in BC? Its the same thing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4648 posts
552 upvotes
As someone that's been in BC a fair bit (but live in TO), I've also never heard this.

Peaches from BC and ON are both good, but I do prefer wild BC blueberries.Then again I love blueberries in general.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference, but prefer local (regardless) compared to the US/Mexican types that are picked earlier this nowhere near as ripe or juicy.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote: As someone that's been in BC a fair bit (but live in TO), I've also never heard this.

Peaches from BC and ON are both good, but I do prefer wild BC blueberries.Then again I love blueberries in general.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference, but prefer local (regardless) compared to the US/Mexican types that are picked earlier this nowhere near as ripe or juicy.
Both Canadian and US peaches are picked hard for shipping, and all you need to do to have a ripe & juicy peach is to wait & let it sit a couple days. Picking hard has no bearing on how sweet the peach ends up being. It either is or it is not.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1067 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: Both Canadian and US peaches are picked hard for shipping, and all you need to do to have a ripe & juicy peach is to wait & let it sit a couple days. Picking hard has no bearing on how sweet the peach ends up being. It either is or it is not.
I disagree. Peaches ripened on the tree are superior. I've had countless peaches from the supermarket purchased hard, that still tasted flat (and sometimes bitter) after being left out a week. This is why I personally prefer visiting farms.

Top