Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Western Digital

16TB Red Pro/Gold Hard Drives back on sale at $379.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2022 8:33 am
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1852 posts
2469 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
Leshita wrote: What apps do you guys use to check your new drives for errors on Mac or Windows. I plan to format mine as a Mac format. We have to initiate / format the drive before checking for error right?
For new drives, on Windows, I use HD Sentinel to run a full surface scan (write+read) with random data in random order. Connected through a USB 3.0 HDD dock, 16TB drives take 42-45 hours each. I think it could be faster if you used the default settings (I think it's 0s & sequential write). I didn't have to initialize the drives before testing.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
redfd123 wrote: For new drives, on Windows, I use HD Sentinel to run a full surface scan (write+read) with random data in random order. Connected through a USB 3.0 HDD dock, 16TB drives take 42-45 hours each. I think it could be faster if you used the default settings (I think it's 0s & sequential write). I didn't have to initialize the drives before testing.
Thank you. I will try this method as well. Not having to initialize the drive is fantastic as I plan to use a Mac format which will not be easily readable by Windows after formatting.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10184 posts
5573 upvotes
Toronto
neatooo wrote: How do we get the 20% coupon? I only got the 15%
FrugalConsumer wrote: Would also like to know. I'd be interested in buying
I used the following:
neatooo wrote: How do we get the 20% coupon? I only got the 15%
bitoogill wrote: I think the support staff have been notified about this trick, so they are giving this standard answer to anyone trying to use it now.

This is what i would do, open up the chat again and tell them you got this code (pasted below) as a promotion but when you try to use it, it says its already been used.

CS15-SDBD-D66H-6DDK-FK6S

The CSR will check the code and see that in fact its already been used, they will offer to give you another one for just this time. Just tested this few hours ago and got the 15% code in my email from them, but YMMV

Good luck

Edit : corrected some grammar mistakes :)
It's up to the discretion of the CSR in chat to give you a code so YMMV.
Mar 26, 2015
237 posts
100 upvotes
Richmond, BC
been impossible to get the 15% off
Oct 26, 2006
57 posts
55 upvotes
15% student discount seems to stack with the 2x 20TB deal. Wish it stacked with the other sales but this seems to be the exception.
Screenshot 2022-06-15 121525.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
How to get student discount?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
Is the student discount valid on 16TB drives?
Jul 4, 2018
80 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
neptune wrote: Is the student discount valid on 16TB drives?
It won't stack with the current discount on 16tb, only 20tb
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
Hm so u just plugged my drive into my dock and connected it to my windows computer with USB 3, but I noticed some periodic sound (like a heartbeat every few seconds), does anyone know what this is?

I recall my other drive also did this I think when it was connected from this dock to my Mac.
Mar 11, 2021
37 posts
52 upvotes
Leshita wrote: but I noticed some periodic sound (like a heartbeat every few seconds), does anyone know what this is?
That's the heart drive
Jun 2, 2011
644 posts
573 upvotes
Leshita wrote: Hm so u just plugged my drive into my dock and connected it to my windows computer with USB 3, but I noticed some periodic sound (like a heartbeat every few seconds), does anyone know what this is?

I recall my other drive also did this I think when it was connected from this dock to my Mac.
My golds sounded like that running extended smart tests on the both. They are louder than my red pros were, but they run cooler.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
TREANWRECK wrote: That's the heart drive
Must be new tech, I’ve been out of the HDD loop for a while. lol
powderskull wrote: My golds sounded like that running extended smart tests on the both. They are louder than my red pros were, but they run cooler.
Glad it’s not just me, though mine sounded like this as it was idle without any tests performed. I didn’t even initiate my drive yet. I read online somewhere that it has to do with the .system dataset writes, though I have no idea what exactly that means.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2021
1096 posts
2377 upvotes
hope 14tb for 269 red plus back. i dont need this such high end like red pro and gold. 7200rpm red plus is good enough for me.
Jul 28, 2007
17 posts
4 upvotes
bitoogill wrote: I think the support staff have been notified about this trick, so they are giving this standard answer to anyone trying to use it now.

This is what i would do, open up the chat again and tell them you got this code (pasted below) as a promotion but when you try to use it, it says its already been used.

CS15-SDBD-D66H-6DDK-FK6S

The CSR will check the code and see that in fact its already been used, they will offer to give you another one for just this time. Just tested this few hours ago and got the 15% code in my email from them, but YMMV

Good luck

Edit : corrected some grammar mistakes :)
Looks like they were notified of this trick as well. The chat agent told me the code was already allocated to another customer and is a one time use code.
Jan 11, 2016
264 posts
109 upvotes
Peterborough
Leshita wrote: Just grabbed one with the 15% off code.
Thanks OP. :)

I am just going to use this for standard storage. Would it be a better idea to copy my downloads onto this drive after they are completed or would torrenting directly on it be okay?
I just want to make sure I keep this drive safe and long lasting as I plan to put most of my stuff on it for storage.

Later on I plan to get another one for NAS.
I have a raspberry pi 3 or 4 with a VPN program and torrent program on it(transdrone) and a seperate hard drive. I download everything to that drive first then once the torrent finishes transdrone automatically uploads it to the NAS.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1813 posts
1358 upvotes
Toronto
Qndydsb wrote: hope 14tb for 269 red plus back. i dont need this such high end like red pro and gold. 7200rpm red plus is good enough for me.
Keep a look out as they fill stock very frequently.
Dec 12, 2009
636 posts
74 upvotes
Qndydsb wrote: hope 14tb for 269 red plus back. i dont need this such high end like red pro and gold. 7200rpm red plus is good enough for me.
I believe it's the warranty you are paying for. Not the 7200 rpm. 3 years vs 5 years
Jul 26, 2020
350 posts
568 upvotes
now it's 2x20TB for 750$! decent deal, but the coupon does not work on it :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)