Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Western Digital

2x 22TB WD Red Pro for $1350 (~$30 per TB)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2023 1:48 pm
May 3, 2019
22 posts
81 upvotes
vancouver

[Western Digital] 2x 22TB WD Red Pro for $1350 (~$30 per TB)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Western Digital
More offers from Western Digital
Picture of deal below, about ~$30 per TB (before tax), add two 22TB WD Red Pro's and get a $300 discount for a total price of $1350 + tax

Offer maxes out at four drives per cart for a total of $2700
Images
  • Capture.PNG
  • Capture.PNG
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
Fantasticdeal wrote: Hmm we have seen 1tb around $16 to $20 usually
To be fair, $20/TB is mostly 8~16TB.
Right now 16TB Seagate is roughly $20/TB.
Anything north of 16, you start paying premium.
May 1, 2017
103 posts
86 upvotes
I always wonder why would someone buy 22 TB, wont it take longer to recover/rebuild (RAID or otherwise) in case it goes bad?
Jul 16, 2015
825 posts
891 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
This is a very niche case scenario. Even back in my movie library days I didn't have that much data. I guess 4k is where it's at now, but is it even worth the effort? After doing the cycle from dvd to blu ray it just became too much effort to move between mediums and resolution, especially with all the quality streaming sights at your fingertips these days.
Sep 6, 2018
151 posts
248 upvotes
dwfLuid wrote: This is a very niche case scenario. Even back in my movie library days I didn't have that much data. I guess 4k is where it's at now, but is it even worth the effort? After doing the cycle from dvd to blu ray it just became too much effort to move between mediums and resolution, especially with all the quality streaming sights at your fingertips these days.
These days, people who want or need this much storage can upgrade the quality and resolutions of their entire library at once with a few clicks. I know I'll be doing that whenever I upgrade my tv to 4k in a few years.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2007
1104 posts
1236 upvotes
vipnotion wrote: I always wonder why would someone buy 22 TB, wont it take longer to recover/rebuild (RAID or otherwise) in case it goes bad?
Depends on your storage needs. I have 8x 20TB drives, RAID6 configuration. If one drive dies, I just pop in a cold spare and just wait for it to rebuilt, no fuss, no muss. For larger drives that take longer to rebuild, it's definitely better to have them in RAID6 configuration, so that you're not stressed out during the rebuild.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1577 posts
2071 upvotes
Knowhere
My guess op is new to the hard disk deals. 30$ per tb is a joke, regardless what hdd is.
Nov 26, 2019
89 posts
102 upvotes
vancouver
I assume most people who need or want this much space have Usenet and all the servarr suite. In which case, they are most definitely looking for price per TB being as low as possible
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1732 posts
403 upvotes
Kitchener
dwfLuid wrote: This is a very niche case scenario. Even back in my movie library days I didn't have that much data. I guess 4k is where it's at now, but is it even worth the effort? After doing the cycle from dvd to blu ray it just became too much effort to move between mediums and resolution, especially with all the quality streaming sights at your fingertips these days.
With apps like Sonarr/Radarr, this can be completely automated.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1732 posts
403 upvotes
Kitchener
lightmeup wrote: My guess op is new to the hard disk deals. 30$ per tb is a joke, regardless what hdd is.
Some people care about density and not just the price per TB.
Mar 11, 2015
77 posts
94 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Did the PRICE change by any chance?
Images
  • wd44T.JPG
Jul 16, 2015
825 posts
891 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
iLLNESS wrote: With apps like Sonarr/Radarr, this can be completely automated.
Thanks for the sonarr/radar tip. I honestly didn't know about these options. However, I was talking about actual ripping time from personal libraries cause I did rip my DVDs, then my blu rays, and I'll be damned if I move to 4k blu rays. When I think about all that time spent doing that, I wasted much of my youth. Lol
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1610 posts
605 upvotes
dwfLuid wrote: Thanks for the sonarr/radar tip. I honestly didn't know about these options. However, I was talking about actual ripping time from personal libraries cause I did rip my DVDs, then my blu rays, and I'll be damned if I move to 4k blu rays. When I think about all that time spent doing that, I wasted much of my youth. Lol
Even this can be automated. When I pop a Bluray disk into my computer, I've got automations set up so that MakeMKV starts ripping the whole thing right away.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TravisR93419 wrote: In which case, they are most definitely looking for price per TB being as low as possible
There's a balance.
Lowest price per TB with slot costs included.
A $5/TB drive that's 1TB is of no use to me if the housing costs are $50/drive.
That works out to $55/TB.

Not to mention the ongoing operational costs because a single drive is 10W. 22x1TB drives is 220W which means it costs you $210/year to operate 21 more drives.

Also some people are locked into a certain number of slots. If you can't exceed 4 drives, you have to stuff the highest capacity drive in there regardless of cost. Others (ie me) have effectively infinite expandability so I can use a lower priced per TB disk.
iLLNESS wrote: Some people care about density and not just the price per TB.
Exactly. My per slot costs are around $30 per slot just for hardware. Some people that buy into "name brand" NASes are paying upwards of a few hundred per slot.

$30/TB is a bit harder to justify because it works out to $31.50/TB.

A 16TB drive for $320 means $350 for 16TB or $21.87/TB but I also need 50% more drives which means 50% more drive operational (read: power) costs. Still a better deal than 22TB though.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 26, 2019
89 posts
102 upvotes
vancouver
death_hawk wrote: There's a balance.
Lowest price per TB with slot costs included.
A $5/TB drive that's 1TB is of no use to me if the housing costs are $50/drive.
That works out to $55/TB.

Not to mention the ongoing operational costs because a single drive is 10W. 22x1TB drives is 220W which means it costs you $210/year to operate 21 more drives.

Also some people are locked into a certain number of slots. If you can't exceed 4 drives, you have to stuff the highest capacity drive in there regardless of cost. Others (ie me) have effectively infinite expandability so I can use a lower priced per TB disk.

Exactly. My per slot costs are around $30 per slot just for hardware. Some people that buy into "name brand" NASes are paying upwards of a few hundred per slot.

$30/TB is a bit harder to justify because it works out to $31.50/TB.

A 16TB drive for $320 means $350 for 16TB or $21.87/TB but I also need 50% more drives which means 50% more drive operational (read: power) costs. Still a better deal than 22TB though.
This guy harddrives.

Also very interesting perspective. I learned something, thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TravisR93419 wrote: This guy harddrives.

Also very interesting perspective. I learned something, thanks!
Yup. Nearly 500TB now.
Got this down to a science. Just need moneys now.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jul 16, 2015
825 posts
891 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
HaZaRd wrote: Even this can be automated. When I pop a Bluray disk into my computer, I've got automations set up so that MakeMKV starts ripping the whole thing right away.
As a middle aged man now who's older, wiser, has a young child, works a side gig, and who has to help aging parents, spending time as you suggest is not a priority. I can easily access streaming services and have no care to do any of that stuff again. It's just not worth the time despite the apparent ease. However, this is good info for anyone who wants to spend the time. Thanks for the info.