Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4497 posts
4811 upvotes

Western Union: Sending Money to China For Cash Pickup

For those who have used Western Union in Canada to send money to China for Cash pickup,

Will it work If I write pinyin instead of Chinese characters as the first and last name of the receiver on the Receiver's Information form?

As I understand, Chinese ID does not have pinyin on their ID card. The receiver does not have a passport.

I know there are better alternatives than WU, but this is for an elder who is completely technologically illiterate.

This is urgent. Thanks!
6 replies
Apr 24, 2007
381 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I do not know the answer to you question, but to bump up for visibility and see if someone can answer mine.

I have family members that was to send small amounts back to China (Guangzhou) for CNY ($200-$2000 CAD).

What are the simplest and/or cost effective methods?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4497 posts
4811 upvotes
mklop wrote: I do not know the answer to you question, but to bump up for visibility and see if someone can answer mine.

I have family members that was to send small amounts back to China (Guangzhou) for CNY ($200-$2000 CAD).

What are the simplest and/or cost effective methods?
Assuming that none of your family members in Canada have a full-featured WeChat Pay and AliPay account, the easiest would be Western Union via. Cash pickup, it's also the most expensive because it's the most convenient.

Other methods are a pain in the ass to deal with (wire transfer).
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2176 posts
2094 upvotes
I know that I ain't much of a help. I appreciate yours.
Have you try using or query the services with Bank Of China if you can find a nearest local canadian branch?
If yes, do tell its procedure(s).
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.
Apr 24, 2007
381 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: Assuming that none of your family members in Canada have a full-featured WeChat Pay and AliPay account, the easiest would be Western Union via. Cash pickup, it's also the most expensive because it's the most convenient.

Other methods are a pain in the ass to deal with (wire transfer).
Do you know if there's a way to get a full-featured WeChat Pay account in Canada? How would you fund it from the Canadian side?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4497 posts
4811 upvotes
mklop wrote: Do you know if there's a way to get a full-featured WeChat Pay account in Canada? How would you fund it from the Canadian side?
Not possible.
You can only get a full-featured WeChat Pay account with a Chinese bank account, and the only way to get that is to open one in China with a temporary residence permit (minimal requirement).
imoo2u wrote: I know that I ain't much of a help. I appreciate yours.
Have you try using or query the services with Bank Of China if you can find a nearest local canadian branch?
If yes, do tell its procedure(s).
BoC Canada division is a separate entity from their China division. The banking services do not overlap.
Jan 9, 2023
3 posts
5 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: For those who have used Western Union in Canada to send money to China for Cash pickup,

Will it work If I write pinyin instead of Chinese characters as the first and last name of the receiver on the Receiver's Information form?

As I understand, Chinese ID does not have pinyin on their ID card. The receiver does not have a passport.

I know there are better alternatives than WU, but this is for an elder who is completely technologically illiterate.

This is urgent. Thanks!
I haven't done it recently, but when my dad used to send money using western union to relatives in Mainland China a few years ago, he would just write the receiver's name in pinyin on the form, and the receiver in China would just go and pick it up from a bank of China branch with their ID with no problem. Not sure if rules have changed since then though.