Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] WESTINGHOUSE 42" LED TV - $258 (with additional $50 in points)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2016 11:36 am
[OP]
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
468 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Real Canadian Superstore] WESTINGHOUSE 42" LED TV - $258 (with additional $50 in points)

WESTINGHOUSE 42" LED TV - FULL HD 1080P, HDMI X3

$258 each while quantities last (limit 1, $399.99 after limit)

20,000 pts when you spend $95 or more
50,000 pts when you spend $175 or more (June 3rd and 4th only)

Not sure about other specs as this was the only available info online (no model number was specified)

Update: I took the plunge this morning and on the receipt, I noticed that Superstore gave me BOTH 50K + 20K PC pts so I'm assuming that it's either a system error or they are stacking the points? The stacking doesn't make sense because that would mean 70K points for spending $270 which the TV + environmental fee was $268 which was $2 short.

Anyways, the specs on the box states:
41.5 inch diagnal
37.5Width x 24.1Height x 9.5Depth (with stand)
Model: WD42FX1460 (reference: http://energyverified.intertek.com/dirs ... enDocument)
On Mode (Home Mode): 44

Luminence L Low: 161.6
Luminence L High: 201
Screen Size (inches): 36.14*20.35
Screen Resolution: 1920*1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:09
Force Menu: yes

Connectivity shows 3 HDMI, audio, YPbPr (video), VGA + Audio, USB, Optical, Headphone, Antenna
Made in China (no surprise there)
Images
63 replies
May 3, 2003
393 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 37" Westinghouse from the earliest 1080p days and it's hideous, has a huge bezel, terrible black levels (really atrocious), pre-HDMI (!) but it STILL WORKS! Never had a problem. And it's been a decade. And it was bought for about half of what typical 1080p TVs were going for back then. So my experience with Westinghouse is 100% above expectations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5215 posts
4344 upvotes
Toronto
The picture they use in the advertisement makes no sense, the stand part is from this TV but under saturated. But the top isn't, also the stand is huge for a 42" TV, this is the 39.5 on the right with that stand, compared to what they have on the left in the ad.

Probably someone just made a random custom graphic for the advertisement, I also doubt it's a Smart TV? As that would in theory be listed.

The specs seem to fall in line with DWM42F2G1, which is the only type of TV in this style at 42" listed on http://westinghouseelectronics.com/prod ... dwm42f2g1/

Seems to sell around $300-$350 USD at regular price in US: http://intl.target.com/p/westinghouse-4 ... A-15186872

Not 100% sure as it could be something custom, but that's my best guess with such limited information.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
[IMG]http://rcssontario.flyerservices.com/ca ... _img21.jpg[/IMG]

42" LED TV - Full HD 1080p, HDMI x3
$248*
LIMIT 1, AFTER LIMIT $399.99

Different deals for east and west. east is no tax and no points and $10 cheaper. the flyer shows one pic, and when you click on it you see the other one
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5215 posts
4344 upvotes
Toronto
In Ontario I think you'll pay $24 EHF for it however.

So in theory total would be $272 ($248 + $24) all in?

Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5215 posts
4344 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like the 32" is listed as a Smart TV but not the 42", so guessing 42" is not. But who cares, the Smart TVs features get outdated quick anyways and better to get a Chromecast or similar anyways.

The real question is if it's any good and what the exact model is.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1051 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 32 inch westinghouse from way back when 1080p used to be pricey (2009?). Anyway, nothing but troubles with it.

Bought it with a PS3 during boxing day back then (spent around $500?) plugged it in, went great for a few weeks... Then the picture suddenly started flickering. The flickering would come and go, and sometimes it gets so bad that the picture decides to black out.

The issue can be visualized here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftg8S5k6-xU (same problem).

The only way to stop the flickering is to turn off the TV and let it relax for 10-15 minutes at LEAST (I'm acually on RFD right nor for that very reason... I moved the TV to my bedroom and replaced the living TV with a panasonic plasma that I bought in 2010). After much reasearch, it appears to be that the TV overheats rather quickly, and disturbs the image. During the winter months, it's a-okay, but since March, it's been acting up pretty bad again.

Westinghouse has a terrible reputation for televisions. Mine is 32", but the bezels are so massive it's disgusting. The problem seems so wide-spread that there are now guides that attempt to walk you through some "permanent" fixes (usually involve opening up the back to clean the contacts or expand the rear vent). I cleaned up the contacts, and it went through 1.5 years without issue--guess it's time to clean it again when I get time. Westinghouse has a 1.5/5 star rating on consumer affairs, and many more complaints on the net.

I'd avoid Westinghouse for TVs as a matter of principle.
Jan 20, 2011
69 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I got my westinghouse 42" 1080p in 2007.it was 1999. Ive had it on everyday for many hours each day with no issues. It is currently my computer monitor and is on 4 to 8 hours a day. Although blacks are bad compaired to my 60" plasma it destroies a 2010 lg led i also have
Jan 14, 2007
57 posts
34 upvotes
Just wanted to chime in on Westinghouse. I got a 42" LCD monitor (no built-in tuner, no smart anything) almost 10 years ago -- the Dell special here on RFD. I rolled the dice, $700, which was less than half the going price at the time. Heavily used daily since then (connected to a myth box, wii, roku and xbox), and still going strong. Haven't even noticed a dead pixel on it.
Jun 13, 2011
712 posts
339 upvotes
I think there was a pretty big thread for a 40"(?) westinghouse few years back. Maybe those buyers could chime in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5078 posts
2438 upvotes
A Place to Stand
leehoewonek wrote: Just wanted to chime in on Westinghouse. I got a 42" LCD monitor (no built-in tuner, no smart anything) almost 10 years ago -- the Dell special here on RFD. I rolled the dice, $700, which was less than half the going price at the time. Heavily used daily since then (connected to a myth box, wii, roku and xbox), and still going strong. Haven't even noticed a dead pixel on it.
I think I got in on that too. Hated that TV. Worst TV I have ever owned. Picture quality was terrible, and it had a few other issues I recall, weird banding or something, and noise around the edges. Sold it for not much less than I paid a couple years later. Poor guy.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
468 upvotes
Winnipeg
just went to superstore in Calgary, and after buying this, the recept shows both 50K bonus points and 20K bonus points one after another. The price was $258 + $10 environmental fee... so if the points actually goes through it would mean this came to about $211 after tax and points :D
Jan 29, 2004
252 posts
204 upvotes
zentro wrote: In Ontario I think you'll pay $24 EHF for it however.

So in theory total would be $272 ($248 + $24) all in?

I don't see the 49" one in the flyer...where is this from?
[OP]
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
468 upvotes
Winnipeg
ReAder wrote: I don't see the 49" one in the flyer...where is this from?
the 49" is in the Eastern flyer (Ontario and east)
The West has the 42" Westinghouse and the 48" Sony (~$698) on sale
Oct 19, 2010
86 posts
23 upvotes
Abbotsford
Phoriver wrote: I think there was a pretty big thread for a 40"(?) westinghouse few years back. Maybe those buyers could chime in.
Got that deal from a few years back. TV is still going strong, though it is not our primary screen. It has a nice build quality, thin profile, and and was great for the price at the time (299$?).

Cons: Some to be expected from a cheap TV - pretty terrible sound, limited input/outputs, and mediocre picture (60hz i think).

If i was in the market (for another non-primary screen) I wouldn't be hesitant to buy the 42" because of the brand.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1969 posts
1659 upvotes
Phoriver wrote: I think there was a pretty big thread for a 40"(?) westinghouse few years back. Maybe those buyers could chime in.
Bought a few years ago, can't remember how many to be exact but the TV has been great.

No complaints at all; currently have it hooked up to a Rogers box via HDMI, a PS3, and a HTPC. Blacks are decent, no ghosting, and colour is good as well.

The one minor gripe is that it takes a little while to power on (~5s) but that isn't a big deal to me. If you're looking for the best of the best this probably isn't it but for 80% of people out there it'll do just fine.
Feb 9, 2005
887 posts
198 upvotes
Not sure if it's the same model, I got the 42/43" during another no tax event for $309 (within last 6 months). No problems so far, still early.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5691 posts
4687 upvotes
Vancouver
Capricornxs wrote: just went to superstore in Calgary, and after buying this, the recept shows both 50K bonus points and 20K bonus points one after another. The price was $258 + $10 environmental fee... so if the points actually goes through it would mean this came to about $211 after tax and points :D
Did you also get this?

Ron.