Westjet Basic vs. Economy

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 12:27 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25989 posts
10380 upvotes

Westjet Basic vs. Economy

Any thoughts on the basic vs. economy plans for this carrier. I don't intend on changing my assigned seat and the trip is less than 90 minutes, so I would save an extra $20 using basic over economy. I don't do much in the way of flying anyway...
48 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We rarely / never book a base fare cuz it’s just not that great
Board Last ...
First one to be bumped off a flight etc
To us the extra money to go up to the 2nd from the bottom is worth it
But hey...
You may think differently
For some saving $ 20 is a big deal
For others not so much
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
If you know all the restrictions and are fine with them then go basic.

For me, economy basic is one of the worst things that airlines have introduced from a passenger perspective. That economy basic fare is the same price you would have paid before they added basic.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
DougO wrote: Any thoughts on the basic vs. economy plans for this carrier. I don't intend on changing my assigned seat and the trip is less than 90 minutes, so I would save an extra $20 using basic over economy. I don't do much in the way of flying anyway...
Basic they assign seat to you (usually middle seat at back of plane) that nobody else wants and then charge you at check in if you want to move. Basic is really draconian and to inflict max discomfort
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
DougO wrote: Any thoughts on the basic vs. economy plans for this carrier. I don't intend on changing my assigned seat and the trip is less than 90 minutes, so I would save an extra $20 using basic over economy. I don't do much in the way of flying anyway...
As long as you know what's included in basic economy. Depends on where you're flying, it could be one of those flights that never have a full load, so you'll have a decent seat, or it could be an Encore or Link where are seats are mediocre.

I wouldn't worry about being bumped as Westjet rarely overbook their planes.

If $20 means a lot to you, then yes, you should buy basic economy.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25989 posts
10380 upvotes
Thanks for the thoughts. The flight time is only 90 minutes but the plane isn't full yet, so I have a bit of time to mull this over. Yeah, getting the seat next to the toilet might not be so great or a cramped seat might be excruciating as I have ruptured discs in my back. The extra $20 to pick a better seat might be well worth it...
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: Thanks for the thoughts. The flight time is only 90 minutes but the plane isn't full yet, so I have a bit of time to mull this over. Yeah, getting the seat next to the toilet might not be so great or a cramped seat might be excruciating as I have ruptured discs in my back. The extra $20 to pick a better seat might be well worth it...
In that situation, I would just pay the $20 because you can't really tell how busy the flight is because not all of the people that have have booked have been assigned seats...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25989 posts
10380 upvotes
cardle wrote: In that situation, I would just pay the $20 because you can't really tell how busy the flight is because not all of the people that have have booked have been assigned seats...
Yeah, I see that. Yow! Expensive to fly to Winnipeg from Thunder Bay and I can't seem to book a round trip flight from Westjet's website. 2 one way tickets is all that comes up. You can do it off sites like Expedia though. Wonder why not off the actual carrier site? It's not actually a big deal though as this is the first trip I'll be making to see friends there in 10 years so the cost isn't that much of a factor. But Air Canada's route is worse, forcing me to fly to TO and then back to Winnipeg. The layover time in TO is around the same amount of flight time with Westjet! Good thing I'm not a frequent flier...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
DougO wrote: Yeah, I see that. Yow! Expensive to fly to Winnipeg from Thunder Bay and I can't seem to book a round trip flight from Westjet's website. 2 one way tickets is all that comes up. You can do it off sites like Expedia though. Wonder why not off the actual carrier site? It's not actually a big deal though as this is the first trip I'll be making to see friends there in 10 years so the cost isn't that much of a factor. But Air Canada's route is worse, forcing me to fly to TO and then back to Winnipeg. The layover time in TO is around the same amount of flight time with Westjet! Good thing I'm not a frequent flier...
They do have a 1-800 number. The website could be messed up when you were looking. It happens
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
so for WestJet basic.... even when you check in within 24 hours of your flight, you can't change your seat for free?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: so for WestJet basic.... even when you check in within 24 hours of your flight, you can't change your seat for free?
On Porter, I logged in at exactly 24 hours to check in and our seats were assigned (luckily we were seated altogether). If we had wanted to change them, we would have had to pay.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
Ducky wrote: so for WestJet basic.... even when you check in within 24 hours of your flight, you can't change your seat for free?
Nope, I've read if you're a group, they'll seat you all separately as well

Basic fares will not be assigned a seat until check-in and can choose to move, for a fee, at that time only. WestJet dollars and qualifying spend will not be earned on Basic fares. Basic fares are non-refundable, changes can not be made and cancellations will not result in a Travel Bank. Difference in fare may apply.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Nope, I've read if you're a group, they'll seat you all separately as well
I hate economy basic with a passion but I really think that is a myth.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
cardle wrote: I hate economy basic with a passion but I really think that is a myth.
Not based on trip reports on TA and others here
Manatus wrote: Yes, I've flown WS basic with my wife, and we were not sat together. Plane wasn't full either, i.e. we could have chosen seats together at check-in, but would have had to pay - in fact we were assigned seats with occupied seats next to both of us, so we would have both had to pay to move. In the end we just sat together on the plane. It felt like a cash grab, like they deliberately gave us seats where we would have to pay the most to sit together.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Not based on trip reports on TA and others here
You can't possibly say that it happens every single time?
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
cardle wrote: You can't possibly say that it happens every single time?
No of course not, but based on a number of anedoctals , there is a practice of separating groups in basic economy beyond operational needs
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Makes sense to me. Put the customers who pay the lowest fare in the least desirable seats (middle seat with window and aisle already taken).
Dec 25, 2004
142 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Last time i flew to NY and i bought Economy seat for my family, 24 hours before departure i logged in to checked in and all seats were fully book, i cannot choose the seat at all. Lucky we had been assigned seats together. So i think it depends on how busy the flight is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
Bring noise cancelling headphones or earplugs, the Q400 can get quite loud as it is a propeller plane.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25989 posts
10380 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: They do have a 1-800 number. The website could be messed up when you were looking. It happens
Tried the 1-800 number last night. Got an all circuits are busy voice and then hung up. Guess I can't use my travel MC to pay for my trip. I don't have a "real" card as to this point, I've never needed one. The travel card has worked for every purchase in the past 10 years, except for hotel reservations. Guess airlines are number 2. Will have to go to the Westjet kiosk at the airport to pay with my debit card. Long trip for me...