Travel

Westjet: cancel flight, then rebook same itinerary with travel bank if price goes down?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2020 1:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1463 posts
1121 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Westjet: cancel flight, then rebook same itinerary with travel bank if price goes down?

Suppose the following:
- You book a flight from A to B to fly soon (before June 30) for $300
- Westjet policy offers free cancel or no-fee one-time change from now until June 30 with difference in fare applicable
- The same flight has gone down in fare to $250
- Cancel first itinerary, get $300 in travel bank
- Book same flight using travel bank funds
- $50 remains in travel bank to be used in future

Is my thinking correct? These policies allow you to watch prices and rebook if it goes lower in fare, or be happy you got it for cheap if it keeps going up?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1632 posts
2356 upvotes
West
Yes, you would be able to do that with WestJet (not Air Canada, who has stated you will lose the fare difference), as long as you booked directly with them. Bookings through travel agency do not end up getting anything back into the Travel Bank, and must re-book using the e-ticket # manually through WestJet.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1188 posts
95 upvotes
Yes, but chances are you won't see lower prices unless you had lets say a March break booking and then end up going off peak... airlines will have to raise prices after this
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
nick227 wrote: Yes, but chances are you won't see lower prices unless you had lets say a March break booking and then end up going off peak... airlines will have to raise prices after this
Actually, they will have to offer lower prices to lure people in.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1632 posts
2356 upvotes
West
mcbg1 wrote: Actually, they will have to offer lower prices to lure people in.
You would think based off of traditional supply/demand theory.

In reality, the opposite has happened. I would imagine it has something to do with them only carrying “essential” travellers right now, and so those that need to fly, will fly regardless of price. Your typical vacationer, who looks for good deals, isn’t booking right now, so there is no need to be competitive.

Further, cash flow is a huge issue. If they can charge people more, and not have to refund them if there are cancellations, they are overall better off. In fact, they will have indirect gains by devaluing credit by not crediting fare differences and hiking fares.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: You would think based off of traditional supply/demand theory.

In reality, the opposite has happened. I would imagine it has something to do with them only carrying “essential” travellers right now, and so those that need to fly, will fly regardless of price. Your typical vacationer, who looks for good deals, isn’t booking right now, so there is no need to be competitive.

Further, cash flow is a huge issue. If they can charge people more, and not have to refund them if there are cancellations, they are overall better off.
I'm not talking about right now. When things are better and people can go on vacations again, prices will be low to lure them in and make them fly again. Mark my words.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1463 posts
1121 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I had a trip mid April (basically, now) that had a ton of involuntary schedule changes, and WS' policy on invol skch is protected rebooking +/- 7 days with no fare difference, but I canceled and rebooked for late April; the price was $6 more.

Now, prices are changing 2x a day and I notice the price the day after I am scheduled to travel is $15 cheaper than what I paid, but same itinerary is now priced higher than what I paid. I won't change my date of departure for $15 but this is just an example why I asked this Q to see if its possible to do the above, should the price go less than what i paid.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1188 posts
95 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: You would think based off of traditional supply/demand theory.

Further, cash flow is a huge issue. If they can charge people more, and not have to refund them if there are cancellations, they are overall better off. In fact, they will have indirect gains by devaluing credit by not crediting fare differences and hiking fares.
There is also the consideration that if people are unable to travel (I.E. for the rest of 2020), they will be more eager to travel into 2021 (assuming things are clear) and won't mind the price increases (within reason of course). We will have to see, I am hoping that we do get the lower prices as I missed out on taking a pretty big trip this year due to all of this (thankfully it has been fully refunded).
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2368 posts
3239 upvotes
I'd be weary of this technique, as once you cancel and re-book using the airline's credit you'll potentially be giving up all of your credit card insurance benefits.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1632 posts
2356 upvotes
West
13inches wrote: I'd be weary of this technique, as once you cancel and re-book using the airline's credit you'll potentially be giving up all of your credit card insurance benefits.
Potentially? You 100% would be.

But if COVID-19 has shown us anything, your insurance benefits on your CC mean zilch anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
I wonder if I could do something similar with Air Canada. I have a flight credit valid until December 2020. If I book a flight for let's say June which will likely get cancelled using my credit, they'd likely offer me a new credit valid for 12-24 months?
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
mcbg1 wrote: I wonder if I could do something similar with Air Canada. I have a flight credit valid until December 2020. If I book a flight for let's say June which will likely get cancelled using my credit, they'd likely offer me a new credit valid for 12-24 months?
I think Air Canada just change credit valid from 12 to 24 months, use to be 12 months.

"If you made a flight booking for travel on or after March 1, 2020, and you want to cancel it, you can. The cancellation fee will be waived and you will receive full credit, which you can use towards future travel that must be completed within 24 months of the cancellation date."
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
toyorav4me wrote: I think Air Canada just change credit valid from 12 to 24 months, use to be 12 months.

"If you made a flight booking for travel on or after March 1, 2020, and you want to cancel it, you can. The cancellation fee will be waived and you will receive full credit, which you can use towards future travel that must be completed within 24 months of the cancellation date."
Since I cancelled my flight before these new terms, they say I am still subject to their old policy of my credit only being valid until Dec 2020.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
mcbg1 wrote: Since I cancelled my flight before these new terms, they say I am still subject to their old policy of my credit only being valid until Dec 2020.
I see, try calling them again and see if they can put you on a 24 months credit.
Koodo/Public Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1463 posts
1121 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mcbg1 wrote: Since I cancelled my flight before these new terms, they say I am still subject to their old policy of my credit only being valid until Dec 2020.
toyorav4me wrote: I see, try calling them again and see if they can put you on a 24 months credit.
But with AC if the fare is lower you lose residual value, don’t you? Fare higher pay the difference ..
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
Altera wrote: But with AC if the fare is lower you lose residual value, don’t you? Fare higher pay the difference ..
Yes.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Apr 20, 2009
324 posts
71 upvotes
Looking at flights for August for YOW to LAS as we had to postpone our trip. 4 people (using a companion voucher) was approx $1400.
If I re-booked today it is $2185.
Now, I agree with the prior posts that you should be able to re-book for around the same price. That way my money is still with WS and all parties are happy. These prices are crazy high taking into consideration that prices are also determined by fuel prices. They are pretty much at an all time low right now.

Here is a couple price comparisons for the dates we are looking at (4 people):

Delta code-share with WS (exactly the same flights) - $1420 CAN return
United - $1220 CAN return.

Hope WS prices will drop. Not sure if we'll see any kind of a seat sale soon!