• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 3:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18718 upvotes

WestJet COVID-19 travel insurance

WestJet is now offering a new, no-fee COVID-19 related travel insurance for its guests, but Saskatchewan residents are the only Canadians who do not qualify.

The insurance is effective from Sept. 18 to August 31, 2021 for people travelling to Europe, the UK, Mexico and the Caribbean. It outlined that this insurance does not apply to people who are travelling to the United States or its territories.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sask-r ... -1.5104236
6 replies
Sep 14, 2012
697 posts
409 upvotes
Montreal, QC
For a change, other province other than Quebec is excluded as Quebec residents are often not able to open up certain bank accounts, apply for certain credit cards, and participate in any contests.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7481 posts
3585 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: The WestJet brand is practically trash now
Not sure about that because I am not sure how many people are flying currently. However, I am willing to bet that most CANADIANS will fly WestJet without question if the fares are competitive regardless of what anyone says because my impression of the average Canadian is that he/she is relatively cash-poor. I am someone who lives on a budget and I cannot remember the last time I flew on our other major airline and that must be solely due to cost because I don't limit my airfare searches to selected airlines. Air Canada probably has their share of "newsworthy" events but I am not sure if and how the media portrays them because there is so much bias out there, it is literally impossible for Canadians to keep track. Unless of course, you are lucky enough to see something on social media before it is censored/removed.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
Too many threads on these airlines/loyalty plans [eg Aeroplan] offering travel insurance.

Westjet: Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with COVID-19 while outside of Canada (excluding U.S.) for up to a maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.

Watch and know the limits and who the insurers are.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3221 posts
1833 upvotes
Edmonton
lmcjipo wrote: For a change, other province other than Quebec is excluded as Quebec residents are often not able to open up certain bank accounts, apply for certain credit cards, and participate in any contests.
So be it. That is owed entirely to the Quebec government.
Sep 14, 2012
697 posts
409 upvotes
Montreal, QC
starchoice wrote: So be it. That is owed entirely to the Quebec government.
The same can be said for the automatic Covid insurance and Saskatchewan (i.e. the provincial consumer or insurance laws are different there as to make Air Canada and Westjet not automatically give Covid insurance to Saskatchewan residents).