• Dec 11th, 2020 3:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 25, 2017
64 posts
103 upvotes

[WestJet] First checked bag free at Westjet

Did a quick search, couldn't find it posted before. Valid for travel till June 30.

Free up your hands with your first bag on us for Basic and Econo base fares. That's right, you pay $0 for your first checked bag when you apply the discount code.

Discount code:

FREEBAG

Book by: December 15, 2020 (11:59 p.m. MT)

Travel: Now - June 30, 2021

Blackout dates: No blackout dates apply.

Applicable fare classes:

The FREEBAG discount code cannot be combined with other offers and is valid on:

Basic

Econo 

Offer destinations:

This offer is valid on WestJet flights within Canada, and between Canada and Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America or the United States.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3724 posts
5923 upvotes
Kitchener
I couldn't imagine flying let alone travelling in a time like this...
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1973 posts
1463 upvotes
I think the OP should be banned for promoting travel during a pandemic lol
Aug 7, 2015
162 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary, AB
To each their own - this is a nice perk if you were planning to travel
Sep 29, 2010
361 posts
495 upvotes
you know what else is free... the travel credit they offer you instead of a refund when they cancel the flight...
or did they finally smarten up and start offering refunds for domestic flights?
air canada hasn't... thanks JT!
[OP]
Jun 25, 2017
64 posts
103 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: I think the OP should be banned for promoting travel during a pandemic lol
Most of Canada will be vaccinated by mid April. Travel dates are untill June. How is it promoting travel during pandemic ?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
jingjingbub wrote: To each their own - this is a nice perk if you were planning to travel
There are many legitimate and necessary reasons to justify travel, even during this pandemic. Just take precautions, and be safe. If it has to be done, it has to be done.
Aug 9, 2008
514 posts
286 upvotes
Really WestJet? At this time you need to offer MORE than a free bag to get people booking
[OP]
Jun 25, 2017
64 posts
103 upvotes
JoJoCan wrote: I couldn't imagine flying let alone travelling in a time like this...
Travel dates are untill June 30. I am very optimistic about vaccine roll out and return to normalcy by spring next year. I agree, we should not travel untill then.
Mar 20, 2019
216 posts
431 upvotes
So many Karen's at once, I don't know how to react
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: I think the OP should be banned for promoting travel during a pandemic lol
That's pretty short sighted. A friend of mine does Calgary to Toronto round trip, every 3 months to take her son to Sick Kids for cancer treatment. She has a daughter too, she can't leave behind, so all three travel. Put some thoughts into it, before posting.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Dec 11th, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25410 posts
4522 upvotes
chunky1687 wrote: Travel dates are untill June 30. I am very optimistic about vaccine roll out and return to normalcy by spring next year. I agree, we should not travel untill then.
Very, very highly doubt anything will change by Spring. The vaccine roll out is going to be slower than the government has announced, which means most of Canada likely won't be vaccinated until next fall/winter. Either way, some people still choose to travel so good for you for sharing a deal you came across. People can utilize it or ignore as they see fit.

I choose not to travel right now, not because of the pandemic, but due to the airlines predatory practices of canceling flights and refusing to offer refunds. Westjet and AC can both go to hell. I will use US airlines as much as possible from now on.
Jul 28, 2009
129 posts
128 upvotes
I would HIGHLY recommend against using Westjet if you need to travel. They canceled a route on me and offered a terrible alternative. I didn't agree to it, and they provided a Travel Bank credit which expires in 2 years. They broke their own rules on international tariffs and we as consumers have little to no recourse since the CTA is basically a shill organization.

Sadly, I would need to recommend that you use Air Canada in this case. At least their current approach is to provide vouchers that do not expire. They also have more routes, more frequent flights and better partner flights which means that you will likely be provided a decent alternative (in many cases, not all).

Also Air Canada has the exact same promotion happening right now.

If you are flying to the US, my recommendation is to use a US airline instead. The DOT forces them to provide refunds if they cancel a route.
Jul 28, 2009
129 posts
128 upvotes
Gr8irlbot wrote: That's pretty short sighted. A friend of mine does Calgary to Toronto round trip, every 3 months to take her son to Sick Kids for cancer treatment, she has a daughter, she can't leave behind, so all three travel. Put some thoughts into it, before posting.
Agreed, I hate how insensitive people have become thinking they're speaking to the greater "good". People need to travel. Most humans don't want to be in a tin can in the sky for x hours, even if it's not a pandemic.
Last edited by rafiki6 on Dec 11th, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2018
533 posts
458 upvotes
Going to Vancouver in a few days. Thanks!

I hope I don't get banned on RFD for posting this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7582 posts
3839 upvotes
rafiki6 wrote: I would HIGHLY recommend against using Westjet if you need to travel. They canceled a route on me and offered a terrible alternative. I didn't agree to it, and they provided a Travel Bank credit which expires in 2 years. They broke their own rules on international tariffs and we as consumers have little to no recourse since the CTA is basically a shill organization.

Sadly, I would need to recommend that you use Air Canada in this case. At least their current approach is to provide vouchers that do not expire. They also have more routes, more frequent flights and better partner flights which means that you will likely be provided a decent alternative (in many cases, not all).

Also Air Canada has the exact same promotion happening right now.

If you are flying to the US, my recommendation is to use a US airline instead. The DOT forces them to provide refunds if they cancel a route.
So did you file a chargeback via your credit card?
Nov 2, 2019
35 posts
61 upvotes
Westjet can go **** right off and take their free bag with them! you don't hold my money hostage then hope that I'll fly with you again any time soon.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2017 posts
2579 upvotes
GTA
chunky1687 wrote: Most of Canada will be vaccinated by mid April. Travel dates are untill June. How is it promoting travel during pandemic ?
You're a bit optimistic on your timelines based upon the science and evidence we have today. Based on this, we are likely to have 20% immunized by mid April.
Of course, this could change and move faster. Or it could move slower.

If you figure herd immunity at 2/3 (it's likely higher), we're well into late summer based upon the immunization timeline from Health Canada.

and various other sources that all quote Health Canada for this same timeline
>1% by year end 2020
8% by Q1 2021 (March 31)
40-50% by Q2 2021 (June 30)
100% by year end 2021 (enough vaccine available by end of Q3/Sept 30 for 100% of people; Health Canada expects to have everybody (who wants it) vaccinated by year end)

The only approved vaccine needs 2 shots and has to be kept at -70C. Not optimal for widespread distribution. Other candidate vaccines may be easier to distribute.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1420 posts
1573 upvotes
VANCOUVER
TannerK28755 wrote: Westjet can go **** right off and take their free bag with them! you don't hold my money hostage then hope that I'll fly with you again any time soon.
Exactly this! They said it will take like 8 months to refund people's money but if the situation were reversed and you owed THEM money, they would have sent you to collections after a week. F*ck westjet but f*ck Air Canada even worse since they won't even offer anything but a credit. Meanwhile Lufthansa refunded my money right away with no questions asked.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2017 posts
2579 upvotes
GTA
Sorry OP, but had to downvote due to merchant reputation. WJ cancelled our flight to PEI and also no refund. Just a voucher.
I'd be ok with a voucher if we cancelled, but not when they are the ones who cancel.