Westjet now providing refunds for cancelled trips

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:10 am
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3192 posts
1541 upvotes
Mississauga
wewlad wrote: I never got an email but told them I got it, and they gave my money back
Which email?
I love RFD! :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1240 upvotes
Vancouver
pererac wrote: crooks with my scotia amex avoided me like covid when I asked about charge back. Their dispute department accused me of wasting their time, accused me of calling the wrong department - trying to off load me, and claim the connection was poor and couldn't hear me -then click! azzholes!

I hope everyone gets their money back however they can. I got mine, and have already chopped up this useless piece of crap card.

Trip interruption insurance? lol still have not heard back from them!

I wonder how the folks with air canada tickets are doing?
I read a few of your posts and the struggles you face. Sorry to hear that. All I’m saying is this is the second or third time the media catches some “leaked document” about refunds. However it’s not on Westjet websites. Wouldn’t be a stretch to think theyre leaking this BS in some attempt to improve public opinion.

I just say give a chargeback a try. The airlines are sticking to their guns pissing on US and EU regulations
Autocorrect sucks
Aug 17, 2008
921 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
wewlad wrote: I never got an email but told them I got it, and they gave my money back
Same here. Didn't get single email. I lied to Scotia travel saying I did and only then were those crooks/shameful-scum motivated to get the ball rolling with westjet.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Jan 4, 2019
13 posts
8 upvotes
They say you are supposed get an email saying that you should call in to get a refund before you can ask for one
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
Westjet has no money. They are cutting the salary to just the CERB.

"WestJet Airlines Ltd. is warning workers receiving the federal wage subsidy they will see their pay cut by up to 53 per cent starting Sunday."
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wes ... f20e755b1d
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3195 posts
1800 upvotes
Edmonton
WestJet is in the news too much, all negative. How can you tell that they were swallowed by big money? It’s sad when you have to do a chargeback to get money that is rightfully yours. WJ needs to fold.
Aug 17, 2008
921 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
Dear Sir/Madam:

During the global COVID-19 pandemic, Transport Canada remains committed to the safety and security of Canadians and Canada’s transportation system and to ensuring the continued flow of essential goods and services that Canadians need to remain healthy.

On July 15, 2019, Canada’s Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPR) came into effect.  The APPR impose minimum standards and requirements if a flight is delayed or cancelled.  These vary depending on whether the reason is within the airline’s control, outside of the airline’s control, or within the airline’s control but required for safety reasons.

The Canadian Transportation Agency issued a statement on March 25, 2020, explaining that it could be an appropriate approach for air carriers to issue vouchers or credits instead of refunds for flight cancellations caused by COVID-19, as long as these do not expire in an unreasonably short period of time (e.g., 24 months).  However, I note that the Agency’s voucher statement is not binding and did not change the law or alter passengers’ rights.

Canada is a large country and a robust aviation sector is critical for Canadians to connect with loved ones and for those who rely on it to support their businesses.  We are encouraged by recent efforts by air carriers to provide options for cancelled flights retroactive to March 1.  We have been in touch with airlines and continue to follow the situation in the hard-hit aviation sector very closely.

I am very sympathetic toward passengers regarding the use of vouchers, and I recognize the importance of an approach that addresses the needs of individual Canadian travellers while not exacerbating the challenges facing air carriers, which are going through the most difficult time in the history of the industry.  Allow me to assure you that I continue to monitor the matter closely.

Yours sincerely,

The Honourable Marc Garneau, P.C., M.P.

Minister of Transport
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
pererac wrote: Dear Sir/Madam:

During the global COVID-19 pandemic, Transport Canada remains committed to the safety and security of Canadians and Canada’s transportation system and to ensuring the continued flow of essential goods and services that Canadians need to remain healthy.

On July 15, 2019, Canada’s Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPR) came into effect.  The APPR impose minimum standards and requirements if a flight is delayed or cancelled.  These vary depending on whether the reason is within the airline’s control, outside of the airline’s control, or within the airline’s control but required for safety reasons.

The Canadian Transportation Agency issued a statement on March 25, 2020, explaining that it could be an appropriate approach for air carriers to issue vouchers or credits instead of refunds for flight cancellations caused by COVID-19, as long as these do not expire in an unreasonably short period of time (e.g., 24 months).  However, I note that the Agency’s voucher statement is not binding and did not change the law or alter passengers’ rights.

Canada is a large country and a robust aviation sector is critical for Canadians to connect with loved ones and for those who rely on it to support their businesses.  We are encouraged by recent efforts by air carriers to provide options for cancelled flights retroactive to March 1.  We have been in touch with airlines and continue to follow the situation in the hard-hit aviation sector very closely.

I am very sympathetic toward passengers regarding the use of vouchers, and I recognize the importance of an approach that addresses the needs of individual Canadian travellers while not exacerbating the challenges facing air carriers, which are going through the most difficult time in the history of the industry.  Allow me to assure you that I continue to monitor the matter closely.

Yours sincerely,

The Honourable Marc Garneau, P.C., M.P.

Minister of Transport
Well, ain't that good that he will "continue to monitor the matter closely".

So, status quo...vouchers are OK.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Got my WS refund email today. I called and my refund has been processed. Refund should show up on my CC within 3-5 business days.
Note... in the email it says specifically that they are only processing refunds from April 25 to 28th. My flights to the US were departing on April 25th.
This is the email I received a couple hours ago.

Updated refund information.
As of September 30, 2020 we are processing refunds to original form of payment for guests holding transborder (U.S) itineraries for travel commencing April 25th to April 28th, 2020 and your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19.

You have already been provided a full travel credit to Travel Bank, which can be redeemed at any time in the next 24 months.

If you would prefer a refund to your original form of payment, please call us at 1-888-937-8538 and have the booking confirmation number below on hand to discuss your refund options.

Eligible booking confirmation number: ******

If you have another flight outside of this date range, you may be contacted via email at a later date.

If you booked through a Travel Agent (online or directly), Corporate Travel arranger, or another airline, please contact them directly to discuss refund options.

The situation around COVID-19 has and continues to be fluid and we thank you for your support and patience as we navigate through these unprecedented times.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3192 posts
1541 upvotes
Mississauga
yo2boy wrote: Submitted my DOT complaint after WestJet refuses to refund my YYZ to LAX flight from June 2020. Let's see who's the bully now.
Oh look what we have here. The DOT complaint form actually worked wonders. Time and time again it shows the US has so much better consumer protection compared to this country. Such a shame..

Regardless, huge thanks to all the members here that shared their experiences dealing with refunds. I can try my best to answer any questions if you need help with the complaint form.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsu ... -complaint

My case is finally closed.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1240 upvotes
Vancouver
yo2boy wrote: Oh look what we have here. The DOT complaint form actually worked wonders. Time and time again it shows the US has so much better consumer protection compared to this country. Such a shame..

Regardless, huge thanks to all the members here that shared their experiences dealing with refunds. I can try my best to answer any questions if you need help with the complaint form.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsu ... -complaint

My case is finally closed.
Well done sir. If Westjet wants to fly into markets that are regulated. Play by the f-Ing rules.
Autocorrect sucks
Nov 20, 2012
186 posts
62 upvotes
CALGARY
I just did a CC complaint and dot complaint as WestJet said no to refund.

The borders closed on March 16 and we cancelled the day after as there was no way we could have flown.

The flights ended up being cancelled. I know we cancelled before they did but what is the point for me to hang onto a flight when it was announced borders were closing to all non essential travel.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1240 upvotes
Vancouver
thehabs25 wrote: I just did a CC complaint and dot complaint as WestJet said no to refund.

The borders closed on March 16 and we cancelled the day after as there was no way we could have flown.

The flights ended up being cancelled. I know we cancelled before they did but what is the point for me to hang onto a flight when it was announced borders were closing to all non essential travel.
While I’m on your side. The border is not closed to Canadians via air.
Autocorrect sucks
Nov 20, 2012
186 posts
62 upvotes
CALGARY
GangStarr wrote: While I’m on your side. The border is not closed to Canadians via air.
You are right yes it's technically open to non essential travel.

End of day though they cancelled the flights and government told people to cancel all travel plans for leisure.