Westjet now providing refunds for cancelled trips

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:10 am
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3448 upvotes
West
9thGenCivicSi wrote: If you had a flight booked on WestJet to a U.S. or U.K city that was cancelled due to COVID-19, you might be getting your money back

WestJet quietly breaks ranks with carriers to offer refunds to some customers
Has anyone with a UK destination actually gotten their money back yet? Haven't seen any data points suggesting this was the case... only USA destinations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
Spoke to cheapoair they said they have not received notice from the airline. I pointed out the articles but I can understand why they can’t rely on the Canadian press (whom I understand leaked this). I told them to call Westjet they wouldn’t budge.

Probably just give it a bit. We’ll see what happens
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4669 posts
1940 upvotes
WFH
Phonophoresis wrote: Has anyone with a UK destination actually gotten their money back yet? Haven't seen any data points suggesting this was the case... only USA destinations.
It's not going to happen overnight. Apparently they are only giving the option for flights in a small window from March 1st to April 4th. Everyone else will have to wait and hope they haven't filed for bankruptcy protection before their turn comes around. I suspect WJ are playing games here in the hopes that some customers will use their WJ dollars to pay for future flights before they have to refund. They really need to start going out of their way to incentivize people to start accepting credit before they lose everything.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3448 upvotes
West
dirtmover wrote: It's not going to happen overnight. Apparently they are only giving the option for flights in a small window from March 1st to April 4th. Everyone else will have to wait and hope they haven't filed for bankruptcy protection before their turn comes around. I suspect WJ are playing games here in the hopes that some customers will use their WJ dollars to pay for future flights before they have to refund. They really need to start going out of their way to incentivize people to start accepting credit before they lose everything.
It's not about happening overnight... I am just not aware of anyone actually receiving anything, period. The USA refund have been reported on a widespread basis, not so much the UK ones. Edit: one RFD poster in the AC thread has posted that their UK flight was confirmed to be included.

Here's an alleged table from WestJet's updated, internal refund policy for expected refund dates for US/UK flights:

Dec 26, 2004
100 posts
42 upvotes
Does this policy only apply if you booked directly from Westjet or if you use a 3rd party like Expedia?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
Phonophoresis wrote: It's not about happening overnight... I am just not aware of anyone actually receiving anything, period. The USA refund have been reported on a widespread basis, not so much the UK ones. Edit: one RFD poster in the AC thread has posted that their UK flight was confirmed to be included.

Here's an alleged table from WestJet's updated, internal refund policy for expected refund dates for US/UK flights:

That's right. I was also told by scotia-travel (crooks and scum!)...that I need to call back starting on July 16th for them to initiate a refund from WestJet.

I'm still going to call weekly. At least their agents will relay the annoyance to their superiors, we'll them hopefully toss it up the ladder.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
SLEK wrote: Does this policy only apply if you booked directly from Westjet or if you use a 3rd party like Expedia?
Maybe need to call expedia, and tell them westjet told you to call expedia and ask for a refund.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: It's not going to happen overnight. Apparently they are only giving the option for flights in a small window from March 1st to April 4th. Everyone else will have to wait and hope they haven't filed for bankruptcy protection before their turn comes around. I suspect WJ are playing games here in the hopes that some customers will use their WJ dollars to pay for future flights before they have to refund. They really need to start going out of their way to incentivize people to start accepting credit before they lose everything.
They should be refunding based on when they received our money. Obviously I feel this way because I booked and paid in Jan, but need to wait until September....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
Hot off the press. Westjet dodging responsibility again. I’ll burn my credit and leave this be. Stop selling wide bodies to these rookies

Thank you for contacting WestJet.

We are sorry for the cancellation of your flight departing Europe. As a result of the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), many guests have been affected by changes to our flight schedules.

Flight WS0022 was cancelled in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, which is considered an extraordinary circumstance that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Under the European Air Passenger Rights Regulation (EC) 261/2004 (Art. 5(3)), guests whose flights have been cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances do not have the right to compensation.

On behalf of WestJet, please accept our apologies for the disruption to your travel plans. We understand that the current situation with COVID-19 has been stressful for many.

Thank you for your understanding and support. We are eager to be back in the air as soon as it is safe to do so and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you on board in the future.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14494 posts
4570 upvotes
GTA
GangStarr wrote: Hot off the press. Westjet dodging responsibility again. I’ll burn my credit and leave this be. Stop selling wide bodies to these rookies

We are sorry for the cancellation of your flight departing Europe. As a result of the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), many guests have been affected by changes to our flight schedules.

Flight WS0022 was cancelled in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, which is considered an extraordinary circumstance that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Under the European Air Passenger Rights Regulation (EC) 261/2004 (Art. 5(3)), guests whose flights have been cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances do not have the right to compensation.

On behalf of WestJet, please accept our apologies for the disruption to your travel plans. We understand that the current situation with COVID-19 has been stressful for many.

Thank you for your understanding and support. We are eager to be back in the air as soon as it is safe to do so and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you on board in the future.
I thought recently someone said they were finally issuing refunds, but only to those with flights to USA and Europe
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote: I thought recently someone said they were finally issuing refunds, but only to those with flights to USA and Europe
Not Europe. The UK and US.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: Hot off the press. Westjet dodging responsibility again. I’ll burn my credit and leave this be. Stop selling wide bodies to these rookies

Which country were you flying to?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote: Ahh gotcha. Shady AF if you ask me.
Yup! They're crooks with a friendly smile!
The travel agents and credit card insurance pricks are the worst of the bunch!

I'm repeating for lurkers.....Scotia amex gold and all in their departments are scum of the earth! Azzholes! PM me if you care!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
480 upvotes
SLEK wrote: Does this policy only apply if you booked directly from Westjet or if you use a 3rd party like Expedia?
Did you try calling Expedia? Given I was on hold for hours at the start of COVID, I'd like to avoid calling if possible if someone else already has an answer.
Thanks!
Questrade | Crypto.com | BlockFi | Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
RolandCouch wrote: I thought recently someone said they were finally issuing refunds, but only to those with flights to USA and Europe
The Canadian press released a memo that was to agents to refund flights but it appears to be rubbish. This is my second complaint to Westjet on eu261 first one they said eu rules don’t apply. So I specifically called out my return portion. Now I got this.

I’m only owed $320 so this is all on principal. I’m done this fight. I’ll burn my credit and never fly Westjet. Not that I ever did. *g flyer here
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
pererac wrote: Which country were you flying to?
Vancouver London gatwick return non stop around mid May
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1377 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: Vancouver London gatwick return non stop around mid May
Who did you book with? Directly through WestJet?
Don't let them win! Don't give up yet!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14494 posts
4570 upvotes
GTA
GangStarr wrote: The Canadian press released a memo that was to agents to refund flights but it appears to be rubbish. This is my second complaint to Westjet on eu261 first one they said eu rules don’t apply. So I specifically called out my return portion. Now I got this.

I’m only owed $320 so this is all on principal. I’m done this fight. I’ll burn my credit and never fly Westjet. Not that I ever did. *g flyer here
If I posted my WestJet interaction you'd laugh. It's unbelievable how badly they've treated customers. In the future I'll try to book flights with US carriers wherever possible

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)