Travel

Westjet now providing refunds for cancelled trips

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:10 am
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1375 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote: If I posted my WestJet interaction you'd laugh. It's unbelievable how badly they've treated customers. In the future I'll try to book flights with US carriers wherever possible
You should post it!
It's a shame for Canada and the reputation we cherish.

Post it so hopefully this forum pops up on their radar .
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14481 posts
4553 upvotes
GTA
pererac wrote: You should post it!
It's a shame for Canada and the reputation we cherish.

Post it so hopefully this forum pops up on their radar .
If I thought they cared I would. They've already made it clear that they don't so I'll use my wallet as my voice
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9779 posts
2839 upvotes
Vancouver
pererac wrote: Who did you book with? Directly through WestJet?
Don't let them win! Don't give up yet!
Cheapoair unfortunately. BC is a big province so a flight within our province once things settle down won’t be hard to burn.

Not much more I can do. If they actually send a message to cheapo about refunds I’ll try again. Otherwise burn the credit and move on.

Im an air Canada guy anyways. Westjet won’t be getting any of my business anyways.
Autocorrect sucks
Jr. Member
Feb 14, 2008
108 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
GangStarr wrote: Cheapoair unfortunately. BC is a big province so a flight within our province once things settle down won’t be hard to burn.

Not much more I can do. If they actually send a message to cheapo about refunds I’ll try again. Otherwise burn the credit and move on.

Im an air Canada guy anyways. Westjet won’t be getting any of my business anyways.
Not sure how concerned WestJet is about losing your business from booking a mistake fare...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3442 upvotes
West
GangStarr wrote: Hot off the press. Westjet dodging responsibility again. I’ll burn my credit and leave this be. Stop selling wide bodies to these rookies


Thank you for contacting WestJet.

We are sorry for the cancellation of your flight departing Europe. As a result of the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), many guests have been affected by changes to our flight schedules.

Flight WS0022 was cancelled in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, which is considered an extraordinary circumstance that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Under the European Air Passenger Rights Regulation (EC) 261/2004 (Art. 5(3)), guests whose flights have been cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances do not have the right to compensation.

On behalf of WestJet, please accept our apologies for the disruption to your travel plans. We understand that the current situation with COVID-19 has been stressful for many.

Thank you for your understanding and support. We are eager to be back in the air as soon as it is safe to do so and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you on board in the future.
They are saying you don't have the right to "compensation", which is correct. That is, however, different than a "refund", which you are entitled to for at least half your itinerary (the return portion) under article 261. They seemed to have completely dodged that portion of things, perhaps intentionally; though I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't aware of the difference either.

I would just wait for the date you can apply for a refund, then call in to their contact centre to get the procedure. Then, you'll have to somehow convince cheapoair you are entitled to a refund, and get them to coordinate with WestJet. Uphill battle for sure; so perhaps using your credit might be less stressful. WestJet won't lift a finger to help, unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3194 posts
1832 upvotes
Mississauga
Was supposed to fly WJ from Toronto to Van to Hawaii (round trip) at the end of May

We initiated the cancellation at the end of Apr

We were provided the WJ 2 year credit thing.

Can I challenge for full refund here? Am I entitled given the recent change in policy?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14481 posts
4553 upvotes
GTA
mau_mau wrote: Was supposed to fly WJ from Toronto to Van to Hawaii (round trip) at the end of May

We initiated the cancellation at the end of Apr

We were provided the WJ 2 year credit thing.

Can I challenge for full refund here? Am I entitled given the recent change in policy?
If you initiated you cannot get a refund.
Jr. Member
Dec 26, 2004
100 posts
42 upvotes
ipxxx wrote: Did you try calling Expedia? Given I was on hold for hours at the start of COVID, I'd like to avoid calling if possible if someone else already has an answer.
Thanks!
I have called Expedia, they are useless. They will re-iterate that they don't have a cancellation policy and follow the airline's policy. I have receive no notifications regarding the cancellation of my flights from Westjet or Expedia.
Expedia just says the airline has offered an air credit valid for 13 months. When pressed why it's 13 months and not 2 yrs like WestJet's other customers, again Expedia just says they're following the airline policy, nothing they can do.
I have filed a dispute for services not rendered with my credit card. WestJet cancelled the flight, not me.

I found this Email address for Expedia, [email protected]. They are responsive, usually within 1 business day but offer little to no support, so it is still useful for gathering evidence to use for your credit card chargeback dispute.

If you are on FB, there is an Air Passengers Rights (Canada) group with lots of advice on how to proceed.
Banned
Mar 15, 2007
120 posts
33 upvotes
SLEK wrote: I have called Expedia, they are useless. They will re-iterate that they don't have a cancellation policy and follow the airline's policy. I have receive no notifications regarding the cancellation of my flights from Westjet or Expedia.
Expedia just says the airline has offered an air credit valid for 13 months. When pressed why it's 13 months and not 2 yrs like WestJet's other customers, again Expedia just says they're following the airline policy, nothing they can do.
I have filed a dispute for services not rendered with my credit card. WestJet cancelled the flight, not me.

I found this Email address for Expedia, [email protected]. They are responsive, usually within 1 business day but offer little to no support, so it is still useful for gathering evidence to use for your credit card chargeback dispute.

If you are on FB, there is an Air Passengers Rights (Canada) group with lots of advice on how to proceed.
And....how are you making out with all that advice??
Member
User avatar
Apr 20, 2009
374 posts
113 upvotes
capture_31be5c5e7f35c09f783205cbf6f7a9f0c8f09798.jpg
Found this on Flyertalk.
Hopefully those waiting for an email from WS can figure where their refunds stand (for those eligible for a refund).

I have a couple weeks before I am eligible.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2493 posts
3446 upvotes
Armeee wrote: Found this on Flyertalk.
Or, you know, post #25 of this thread.
Member
User avatar
Apr 20, 2009
374 posts
113 upvotes
13inches wrote: Or, you know, post #25 of this thread.
Well wouldn't ya know. Missed that one!
Banned
Mar 15, 2007
120 posts
33 upvotes
Armeee wrote: capture_31be5c5e7f35c09f783205cbf6f7a9f0c8f09798.jpg

Found this on Flyertalk.
Hopefully those waiting for an email from WS can figure where their refunds stand (for those eligible for a refund).


I have a couple weeks before I am eligible.
Where is this on Westjet site?
What does it mean?? What criteria for refund?
13inches wrote: Or, you know, post #25 of this thread.
Post# 25 does not really say much except "Here's an alleged table from WestJet's updated, internal refund policy ". Alleged? Updated? Internal policy?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3442 upvotes
West
namewitheld wrote: Where is this on Westjet site?
What does it mean?? What criteria for refund?


Post# 25 does not really say much except "Here's an alleged table from WestJet's updated, internal refund policy ". Alleged? Updated? Internal policy?
It's clearly not on the WestJet site, otherwise we wouldn't be citing FlyerTalk as the source. The table has been confirmed by WestJet employees at the contact centre, and refunds have been proceeding according to that schedule, with multiple data points to substantiate it.

What does it mean? It means exactly what we said it does...
expected refund dates for US/UK flights
Banned
Mar 15, 2007
120 posts
33 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: It's clearly not on the WestJet site, otherwise we wouldn't be citing FlyerTalk as the source. The table has been confirmed by WestJet employees at the contact centre, and refunds have been proceeding according to that schedule, with multiple data points to substantiate it.

What does it mean? It means exactly what we said it does...
Really? So many people still mad at Wesjet about no refunds.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1375 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
namewitheld wrote: Really? So many people still mad at Wesjet about no refunds.
yup! I paid in full on Jan 23rd, why do I have to wait until July 16th to even begin the process? Flight cancelled on May 8th.

The corporate donkeys and executives behind this decision are crooks! scum and criminals! should be paying out of their pocket and be given a voucher from WESTJET!
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3442 upvotes
West
namewitheld wrote: Really? So many people still mad at Wesjet about no refunds.
Really. Take it or leave it... I suggest the latter, if you're still really that skeptical.


People are still mad for several reasons:

1) WestJet is only refunding select itineraries to the US/UK; this means a lot of people are not covered and raises the question of fairness
2) WestJet is treating OTA bookings differently than airline-direct ones, citing "system limitations"
3) There is still a massive delay in refunding those who are covered by this policy
4) They are taking the frustrations of the CTA/government's apparent indifference to the situation out on the airlines
5) This is a principally challenging situation with a company that has kept money, yet hasn't delivered on what was paid for
Banned
Mar 15, 2007
120 posts
33 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Really. Take it or leave it... I suggest the latter, if you're still really that skeptical.


People are still mad for several reasons:

1) WestJet is only refunding select itineraries to the US/UK; this means a lot of people are not covered and raises the question of fairness
2) WestJet is treating OTA bookings differently than airline-direct ones, citing "system limitations"
3) There is still a massive delay in refunding those who are covered by this policy
4) They are taking the frustrations of the CTA/government's apparent indifference to the situation out on the airlines
5) This is a principally challenging situation with a company that has kept money, yet hasn't delivered on what was paid for
Point was, posting some table that supposedly comes from somewhere and no evidence of anything being accomplished.
People are still mad because they are not getting a refund.
Westjet is treating people as they are obligated to. Like it or not.
Westjet is not the only one doing this...even the European airlines that everyone is bragging about are holding payments.
Oh and, if you bought from a travel agent, then your issues are with the travel agent. Westjet sold a ticket to them.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3442 upvotes
West
namewitheld wrote: Point was, posting some table that supposedly comes from somewhere and no evidence of anything being accomplished.
People are still mad because they are not getting a refund.
Westjet is treating people as they are obligated to. Like it or not.
Westjet is not the only one doing this...even the European airlines that everyone is bragging about are holding payments.
Oh and, if you bought from a travel agent, then your issues are with the travel agent. Westjet sold a ticket to them.
Nobody is shoving the table down your throat, you're free to not believe it if you would like. The refunds have been confirmed by multiple people and employees - I invite you to look around for said "evidence", rather than having a pissing match on RFD.

Essentially this is what your posts reads as:
1) I haven't seen (or bothered to look) for any evidence, therefore it doesn't exist
2) The measure of fairness is that everyone is doing it, which must make it okay
3) Airlines should have zero responsibility of completing the service they've advertised, all just because a middle man is involved

... None of that is true.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9779 posts
2839 upvotes
Vancouver
namewitheld wrote: Point was, posting some table that supposedly comes from somewhere and no evidence of anything being accomplished.
People are still mad because they are not getting a refund.
Westjet is treating people as they are obligated to. Like it or not.
Westjet is not the only one doing this...even the European airlines that everyone is bragging about are holding payments.
Oh and, if you bought from a travel agent, then your issues are with the travel agent. Westjet sold a ticket to them.
Easyjet refunded my mates money.

I called united today and they converted a credit I had to a refund without any fight. Or hold time for that matter.

Also Westjet denied my first eu261 claim said doesn’t apply then per my earier post a second claim says oh ok it does apply but exceptional circumstances.

However continue bending over for the airlines.

Edit also cheapoair charged me $9. The rest was charged to my credit card from westjet. This sways me to believe Westjet and I are engaged In Business. Why didn’t cheapo charge me the entire amount? Cheapo is keeping their $9 and I’m ok with that
Autocorrect sucks

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)