Westjet now providing refunds for cancelled trips

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:10 am
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35494 posts
9518 upvotes
Ottawa
HammerRFDer wrote: You say they gave him appropriate notice, but qballDS said: “ Neither RBC nor Westjet even sent me a notice about the itinerary changes.”.

Are we reading the same posts?

American regulations *absolutely* matter on flights to/from USA. Unless the airline wants to pull out of US flights entirely, forever, they will answer to the US regulator and US law.

That’s why people are getting their money back very quickly once they file a US DOT complaint when valid (e.g. significant reroutings/schedule changes).

BTW: if you’re going to go all T&C on someone, quote the tariff, not their interpretation from their website.
He most likely did not get an email because he canceled already but that us an assumption. You cannot dispute that.

As I already noted and posted ""Specifically, the Aviation Enforcement Office will refrain from pursuing an enforcement action against a carrier that provided passengers vouchers for future travel in lieu of refunds for cancelled or significantly delayed flights during the COVID-19 public health emergency" But, because QballDS did not get the fight canceled by the airline, he has no regulations applicable to him...only the airlines policy. American rules are not being applied and in this case, not even valid or applicable.

One more time....the airline did not not cancel it...he canceled it. You seem not to understand this.

Don't need to post the pages and pages of T&Cs' or tariffs as the website description of policy is clear enough for most to understand...(maybe you have problems but, hey, that's OK).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jul 13, 2007
974 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: He most likely did not get an email because he canceled already but that us an assumption. You cannot dispute that.
I dispute that.

Please quote the post where qballDS themself cancelled anything.

You will find that the airline cancelled his original flights, and rebooked them onto “rerouted to hell” flights. Without telling him. And when he called to get a refund, they told him “Sorry, try again later”.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35494 posts
9518 upvotes
Ottawa
HammerRFDer wrote: I dispute that.

Please quote the post where qballDS themself cancelled anything.

You will find that the airline cancelled his original flights, and rebooked them onto “rerouted to hell” flights. Without telling him. And when he called to get a refund, they told him “Sorry, try again later”.
See what happens when one assumes. His statement was "Hopefully will get my money / points back and be done with it.". Assumption was he cancelled because the rescheduled fight was not to his liking.
The airline re-scheduled, which his allowed. 'WestJet flights can be changed or cancelled up until two (2) hours before the flight is scheduled to depart. "
Hey, BTW, he didn't even deal with Westjet, he dealt with a third part, RBC using RBC points. His bone to pick is with RBC.

So, bottom line is, with the information I have given, you are a bit wiser on what passenger entitlements are.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
67 upvotes
So this is the email I received from WS back at the beginning of April for flights at the end of April to Las Vegas from Ottawa. The way I read this is that WS has cancelled my flights and refunds were not available at this time so I have a credit in the travel bank. I don't want to assume anything but the wording of this email makes me believe that when refunds are available I will be eligible!
According to the WS refund chart I should have gotten the "refund email" after July 2nd. So far nothing.

There have been changes to your itinerary - please review and action as required.
To ensure you receive emails from WestJet, please add us to your contacts.

Version française
Hello ****,

Due to adjustments to our flight schedule, we're sorry to advise you that it has been necessary to change one or more of your WestJet flights and we are unable to provide an alternative flight option.

For your reference, the reservation code is: *****

We are not processing refunds to original form of payment at this time. The full value of your flight has been refunded to a WestJet travel bank (for WestJet bookings) or WestJet Dollars account (for WestJet Vacations bookings), which is valid for 24 months from date of issue. If you prefer a refund to original form of payment, we will provide information about when that can be requested at a later date.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause you. Thank you for your understanding.

WesJet Logo
Jan 4, 2019
14 posts
8 upvotes
Honestly, I never got the email but I should've gotten it by July 16th based on the schedule. I called and they don't know if they you got the email or not, they will ask you if you got it, just say you did and they will give you the refund. I got the same email as you showed in bold above, and you should get a refund.
Feb 13, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
I booked westjet flights to London with Cheapoair back in Feb 2020 when they had a sale/mistake fares for travel in April 2020. Initially took the credit for 2 years option when they said refund was not an option. Later when the news came out that they are refunding for cancelled flights to UK/US. Contacted Cheapoair again end of July 2020. Initially they said ticket is non refundable. But when i said that i saw a document westjet sent to travel agents about refunds, the agent (via online chat) then said my tickets are eligible for refund. Agent said it will take upto 60 days. But got the full refund back to credit card within 10 days.
Aug 17, 2008
967 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
vsk3980 wrote: I booked westjet flights to London with Cheapoair back in Feb 2020 when they had a sale/mistake fares for travel in April 2020. Initially took the credit for 2 years option when they said refund was not an option. Later when the news came out that they are refunding for cancelled flights to UK/US. Contacted Cheapoair again end of July 2020. Initially they said ticket is non refundable. But when i said that i saw a document westjet sent to travel agents about refunds, the agent (via online chat) then said my tickets are eligible for refund. Agent said it will take upto 60 days. But got the full refund back to credit card within 10 days.
Congrats! Which credit card did you use? Asking so we can give it some praise!

I used a Scotia gold amex to pay for the ticket in Jan. Flight was cancelled in May. Not a penny has been given back. And Scotiabank and their idiot employees are running around like donkeys.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Feb 13, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
I used CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite for payment and got the refund back to the same card
Jan 22, 2017
176 posts
279 upvotes
I have a travel coming up for London in September. I booked it on Cheapoair.
Will I be eligible for a full refund?
Dec 11, 2003
233 posts
35 upvotes
membrs wrote: I have a travel coming up for London in September. I booked it on Cheapoair.
Will I be eligible for a full refund?
Same here. Just found out all September UK flights have been cancelled. Went on live chat with Cheapoair and they agreed to submit a refund request.
Jan 22, 2017
176 posts
279 upvotes
padfoot wrote: Same here. Just found out all September UK flights have been cancelled. Went on live chat with Cheapoair and they agreed to submit a refund request.
I tried live chat but says closed due to Covid
Dec 11, 2003
233 posts
35 upvotes
membrs wrote: I tried live chat but says closed due to Covid
It worked for me this morning. Maybe reduced hours??
Aug 17, 2008
967 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
Good news for me, finally!
Today my PARTIAL refund posted! They're going to make me call in and waste more time for the missing $29 though. I'm not about to make a donation to westjet/scotiabank.

Card used: Scotia amex gold
Travel agent: Scotia travel rewards (I didn't use points, I paid with hard earned $$$)

Dates: flight was booked and paid in full on Jan 28th, scheduled to depart on May 8th to the UK via Westjet.

I had been calling into Scotia Rewards since February asking about the situation and cancellations etc.

Absolutely horrible and disgraceful customer service from them from day one. They have accused me of wasting their time, they've transferred me to wrong departments, they've promised to return calls, they have lied to me, they have even claimed I did not pay with this card despite it appearing on the statement.

Departments involved: scotiabank branch reps, Scotia travel, Scotia rewards, assurant travel insurance, Scotia customer service, Scotia Bank disputes department.

This Scotia American Express (amex) has the best insurance offerings in Canada - but the WORST most disappointing and shameful customer service experience.

I'm only posting this so others can be aware. Hopefully some employee from Scotiabank or an executive that cares or has the heart to care also reads this.

Can PM me for details.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3193 posts
1548 upvotes
Mississauga
Submitted my DOT complaint after WestJet refuses to refund my YYZ to LAX flight from June 2020. Let's see who's the bully now.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13538 posts
3641 upvotes
GTA
yo2boy wrote: Submitted my DOT complaint after WestJet refuses to refund my YYZ to LAX flight from June 2020. Let's see who's the bully now.
Who cancelled the flight, you or them ?