Travel

Westjet now providing refunds for cancelled trips

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:10 am
Aug 17, 2008
926 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
yo2boy wrote: Submitted my DOT complaint after WestJet refuses to refund my YYZ to LAX flight from June 2020. Let's see who's the bully now.
Who did you book with?

All WestJet flights from Canada to the UK and US are being refunded due to rules in the UK and US dictating to do so.

Flight was supposed to depart in June? Maybe they're going to make you wait 4 months vs immediate refund.

Crooks!
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3192 posts
1545 upvotes
Mississauga
pererac wrote: Who did you book with?

All WestJet flights from Canada to the UK and US are being refunded due to rules in the UK and US dictating to do so.

Flight was supposed to depart in June? Maybe they're going to make you wait 4 months vs immediate refund.

Crooks!
I booked on their website directly, no middle man involved. So strange how I even showed them their internal document they still wouldn't budge.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13531 posts
3637 upvotes
GTA
yo2boy wrote: They did
You'll get your money back they'll just make it a painful unnecessarily long process.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
pererac wrote: Who did you book with?

Crooks!
Booked via cheapoair to Uk. Three complaints and they suggested the third time I might get a refund. According to cheapo they denied it

I’m 1.5 months into a chargeback with Cibc aventura. Cibc didn’t seem at all surprised about this. I’ll post up when it’s finalized but so far Westjet hasn’t responded.

Don’t waste your time with these crooks. Just charge back. Ban Westjet from the EU
Autocorrect sucks
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
I spoke to WS agent today (using the call back number) and was told I do qualify for a refund but currently they are only processing payments for US flights up to April 16th.
My flights were scheduled for April 25th.

Any news from anyone else?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3192 posts
1545 upvotes
Mississauga
Still waiting to hear back from DOT. I'm so f****** pissed off.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3200 posts
1809 upvotes
Edmonton
Armeee wrote: I spoke to WS agent today (using the call back number) and was told I do qualify for a refund but currently they are only processing payments for US flights up to April 16th.
My flights were scheduled for April 25th.

Any news from anyone else?
They are running seat sales right now, so building up their pot but not sure if this will be offset by the bad publicity recently (i.e. you may be horsewhipped or worse if you refuse to wear a mask (zero tolerance), kids under two forced to wear a mask, etc.).

The only sure way of getting a refund is chargeback.

They owe you money from an April 25th flight that never materialized? The question really is how long you are prepared to extend your interest free loan to help them out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8628 posts
3634 upvotes
Vancouver
I got my credit card company to charge back for my mid July flight. Apparently they didn't even respond at all to the claim... don't settle for their 2 year credit! this is stupid, the pandemic started so long ago they should get their crap together already
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
Chargeback against Westjet via cheapoair for a vancouver London flight resolved in my favour. Matter closed.

After three official complaints about their disregard for EU rules when forced by Cibc aventura it doesn’t even look like they contested.

Take that crappy Westjet
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
So, I have a flight also booked through Cheapoair (WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN SO AWFUL) leaving Toronto to Gatwick in October. I see that Westjet has now changed my departure and return dates (moved it by 2 dates). I'm obviously not going to go as it was a short trip, and the quarantine measures will make it not worth it. My question:

1) Should I contact WestJet and follow the advice here in regards to frustrated contract. Also, interesting point that even though you booked with the travel agent, the airline is still ultimately responsible as your contract is with them.
OR
2) File a chargeback. Although, I feel like I'm passed that point as I booked the trip back in February
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
MyNameWasTaken wrote: So, I have a flight also booked through Cheapoair (WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN SO AWFUL) leaving Toronto to Gatwick in October. I see that Westjet has now changed my departure and return dates (moved it by 2 dates). I'm obviously not going to go as it was a short trip, and the quarantine measures will make it not worth it. My question:

1) Should I contact WestJet and follow the advice here in regards to frustrated contract. Also, interesting point that even though you booked with the travel agent, the airline is still ultimately responsible as your contract is with them.
OR
2) File a chargeback. Although, I feel like I'm passed that point as I booked the trip back in February
In my case Westjet stopped flying to London. They didn’t notify me nor did cheapo and had the nerve to delete my PNR as if I didn’t exist.

They seem like they are still planning to fly you. I’d advise contacting Westjet or your agent and saying those dates are unsuitable and hope for the best.

I suspect they will not give you anything more then a flight credit.

I’d give them a call if they offer credit stand your ground that it’s unacceptable. Wait til closer til the date maybe they’ll stop flying to London and you’ll have better grounds for chargeback. Right now they still intend to provide you a flight so not sure a chargeback is wise at this stage.

I have very little faith in this airline but who knows they might route you through Halifax to London on a narrow body or some other annoying nonsense

Edit also cheapo charge me their booking fee and Westjet charge the rest. In my mind I’m doing business with Westjet as a result despite the whole agent thing
Autocorrect sucks
Aug 20, 2018
75 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver
GangStarr wrote: Chargeback against Westjet via cheapoair for a vancouver London flight resolved in my favour. Matter closed.

After three official complaints about their disregard for EU rules when forced by Cibc aventura it doesn’t even look like they contested.

Take that crappy Westjet
I am thinking about doing it as well. I had yvr to gatwick booked for Sept 25 to Oct 5 but they changed it now for Sept 26 and a connection in calgary both ways. I booked through cheapoair but westjet wouldnt budge. Shall I call my credit card company and ask them for a chargeback? Is this change of dates and adding a stopover against direct flight enough ammo?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
SamS36369 wrote: I am thinking about doing it as well. I had yvr to gatwick booked for Sept 25 to Oct 5 but they changed it now for Sept 26 and a connection in calgary both ways. I booked through cheapoair but westjet wouldnt budge. Shall I call my credit card company and ask them for a chargeback? Is this change of dates and adding a stopover against direct flight enough ammo?
Speak with cheapo via chat tell them the dates absolutely will not work. Can mention the connection makes you nervous for increased exposure. They’ll speak to Westjet. They will likely offer you a credit. The online chat will email you a log

You can them attempt a chargeback. Not sure if Westjet will put up a fight or not. In my case they simply stopped flying to the UK and did not contact me at all. Even deleted my PNR like I didn’t exist.

Not sure how the chargeback will go but you can give it a go. Share results here
Autocorrect sucks