Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto

WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard

Hey everyone! Any thoughts on this card. It shows that:

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/westjet/in ... rcard.html
Receive a welcome bonus of $250 WestJet dollars and an annual round-trip companion flight for $99 with your first purchase^.

Take a look at the WestJet route map to see all the destinations your WestJet dollars can take you to.

Only with the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard you will:
  • Earn 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on every purchase you make with your card˜.
  • Earn 2% back in WestJet dollars when you purchase WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages with your card˜.
    Receive an annual round-trip companion flight for $99 on a WestJet marketed and operated flight in Canada and the continental US (excludes Hawaii and Puerto Rico).
  • Receive a Premium Suite of Insurance coverages including Trip Interruption Insurance(1), Out-of-Country/Province Emergency Medical coverage(1) and more.
  • Enjoy privileged access to MasterCard Experiences and Offers such as hotel discounts and upgrades, golf and spa savings, and more.
  • Redeem any amount of WestJet dollars, at any time. One WestJet dollar earned is worth one Canadian dollar when redeemed for travel with WestJet or WestJet Vacations.
  • Simply fly to any WestJet destination in Canada, the U.S., Mexico or the Caribbean. Travel whenever you want with no blackout periods or seat restrictions.
I like WestJet, but I am wondering if the sign-up bonus is worth it?
Last edited by titaniumtux on Dec 6th, 2012 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed syntax
1577 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
341 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've been considering this card as well, mainly because it doesn't appear to have an annual fee. For someone that flies WestJet all the time, or even most of the time, this could prove to be a pretty good card. I fly WestJet whenever I can when going back home for a visit because they fly into Hamilton, where AC does not. However from Oct to May WestJet has removed the winter service from Winnipeg to Hamilton, which are times I'm most likely to visit the family (Christmas). So that forces me to fly into Toronto instead. And most times, I find AC's flight times are more convenient than WestJet's, and AC has seat back power plugs which is really convenient. I'm still on the fence on this one, but the sign up bonus is pretty enticing.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2145 posts
159 upvotes
wayne74 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:24 am
I've been considering this card as well, mainly because it doesn't appear to have an annual fee. For someone that flies WestJet all the time, or even most of the time, this could prove to be a pretty good card. I fly WestJet whenever I can when going back home for a visit because they fly into Hamilton, where AC does not. However from Oct to May WestJet has removed the winter service from Winnipeg to Hamilton, which are times I'm most likely to visit the family (Christmas). So that forces me to fly into Toronto instead. And most times, I find AC's flight times are more convenient than WestJet's, and AC has seat back power plugs which is really convenient. I'm still on the fence on this one, but the sign up bonus is pretty enticing.
See this: https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/westjet/in ... cards.html

It's $99 per year to get the $250 bonus and the companion fare.

Maybe it makes your decision easier.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
341 upvotes
Winnipeg
ShopperfiendTO wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:45 am
See this: https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/westjet/in ... cards.html

It's $99 per year to get the $250 bonus and the companion fare.

Maybe it makes your decision easier.
Ahh I knew it was too good to be true :)
I guess it's still not a bad deal if you use the Companion flight every year.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
341 upvotes
Winnipeg
I find it interesting how when you follow the apply link from WestJet's website, it takes you to the app on rbc website and there's no mention of an annual fee other than reading the agreement that states the interest rate etc...
I wonder how many people were caught with that (not reading the agreement to find out there's an annual fee)
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Nov 23, 2005
51 posts
2 upvotes
for a while they offered $350. My partner & I both signed up so had $700 credit. Note that it only applies to base cost, not taxes etc. We're heading to vegas in spring from YVR for $125 + the $80 annual fee = $205 each, not bad. I originally planned to cancel the card after claiming the points, but now we think we'll keep it another year or two to take advantage of their "jet away" bonus (believe this is: - Spend $6000 get $230 WestJet Dollars + International Jet Away reward: 1 Complimentary Companion Ticket anywhere WestJet flies, 4 advance seat selection vouchers and two lounge passes)

Or, since you can transfer WJ$ to another account holder for $20, I guess you could just sell your WJ$
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15940 posts
6125 upvotes
Awesome deal - I saved over $500 on my companion flight with this card. Remember though it is continental US/Canada (at least when I signed up).

If you aren't going to fly, or aren't going to fly during peak seasons, then it really isn't anything special. But if you fly with Westjet (especially cross-continent) it's a smoking deal in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
Will pass. There are so many cards offering first year fee waived, and get the bonus points.
May 17, 2007
693 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I needed a flight to Vancouver and saw this card. I've got it and am just waiting for the voucher and points to hit my account to book. For anybody needing to fly cross-continent as TrevorK mentioned, this card is a very hot deal.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Annual fees are not so bad if you can get a good ROI. I really like WestJet Customer Service, so that is the reason why I would get this card as well. Always a pleasure to fly with.
May 17, 2007
693 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
FYI. I got the $250 bonus sign up points and the companion flight voucher within the first 3 weeks of having this card.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14444 posts
5368 upvotes
Los Angeles
So this card has a $99 annual fee. Is this in addition to the Companion Fair of $99? Or does paying the Companion fare take care of the annual fee? I plan to fly out to Chicago in the spring (from Ottawa). I wouldn't mind signing up for this for the $250 Westjet dollars and $99 companion fare.

djino
Aug 1, 2008
284 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 6:03 pm
So this card has a $99 annual fee. Is this in addition to the Companion Fair of $99? Or does paying the Companion fare take care of the annual fee? I plan to fly out to Chicago in the spring (from Ottawa). I wouldn't mind signing up for this for the $250 Westjet dollars and $99 companion fare.
No. Paying RBC $99 for the annual fee then entitles you to pay WestJet an additional $99 (plus taxes and presumably airport/security/landing fees, etc.) for a companion ticket.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Any new feedback on this card? Considering it again...
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Sep 28, 2010
789 posts
188 upvotes
Surrey
This card actually doesn't seem too bad, but im still confused between another few.