• Dec 5th, 2019 1:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2561 posts
1410 upvotes
Langley
Does anyone know if this card ever came with a first year fee waiver?

I've been looking at this card for awhile, and I think it's a great deal for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, but if there is a FYF promo, I can wait.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4505 posts
1434 upvotes
Winnipeg
jellytime wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 12:19 am
Does anyone know if this card ever came with a first year fee waiver?

I've been looking at this card for awhile, and I think it's a great deal for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, but if there is a FYF promo, I can wait.

Thanks
There may have been a FYF when it was first introduced, but nothing since...

It takes 4-6 weeks for the companion ticket to show up, so maybe plan the application based on when you'll need to book that...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10474 posts
2745 upvotes
Markham
I don't believe that they will waive the first year's fee. They are giving your $250 WJ dollars credits which is more than the $120 annual fee you paying, I doubt they will pay it.
I was a staff when I got this card and paid 50% of the annual fee.

It takes weeks for the travel companion voucher to appeal at my WJ account, they actually screwed it up at first. I couldn't wait longer but book my flight first without the voucher...
It is a great card along with the other benefits but you need to be sure that you travel (fly with WJ) every year to make the most benefits from it. I cancelled it in spring as I'm not a staff anymore....annual fee raise back to $120 and WJ's flight is not the cheapest and their flight schedule are horrible. I booked with United to Honolulu for $600 in July. WJ is not even close to that and they have no flight to fly back on Saturday?!
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 8, 2009
558 posts
480 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:I don't believe that they will waive the first year's fee. They are giving your $250 WJ dollars credits which is more than the $120 annual fee you paying, I doubt they will pay it.
I was a staff when I got this card and paid 50% of the annual fee.

It takes weeks for the travel companion voucher to appeal at my WJ account, they actually screwed it up at first. I couldn't wait longer but book my flight first without the voucher...
It is a great card along with the other benefits but you need to be sure that you travel (fly with WJ) every year to make the most benefits from it. I cancelled it in spring as I'm not a staff anymore....annual fee raise back to $120 and WJ's flight is not the cheapest and their flight schedule are horrible. I booked with United to Honolulu for $600 in July. WJ is not even close to that and they have no flight to fly back on Saturday?!
It is WS not WJ....
Aug 3, 2011
524 posts
46 upvotes
Edmonton
wife and I want to apply for this credit card. I have over 100k income and she has 50k income. Can we both apply for two separate credit cards? She can use house income instead of her own but I am not sure how it works..
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10474 posts
2745 upvotes
Markham
Any reason for apply 2 separate cards?

When you apply for one, you get a travel campaign voucher and the travellers flying with you get their luggage check in for free as well.
Only advantage is that you and you wife will get $250 Westjet dollars once signed up and both get get the insurance benefits from that card.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 3, 2011
524 posts
46 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:22 am

When you apply for one, you get a travel campaign voucher and the travellers flying with you get their luggage check in for free as well.
Only advantage is that you and you wife will get $250 Westjet dollars once signed up and both get get the insurance benefits from that card.
We travel a lot. I was hoping to get two separate credit cards so we can get 2 annual companion vouchers.
Apr 22, 2014
499 posts
241 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
hogujak wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:48 am
MP3_SKY wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:22 am

We travel a lot. I was hoping to get two separate credit cards so we can get 2 annual companion vouchers.
My wife and I each have a card so we can use two companion flights per year. You shouldn't have any issues as your household income meets the threshold. My wife and I are in a similar income situation to you. IIRC, you use the "Other Income" field when applying and then you have to select "Household income". Or something like that.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4505 posts
1434 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm considering doing a product switch from the WestJet MC to the Avion Card, since I now have Gold Status with Westjet (and get free bags etc)

I have used/purchased my Companion ticket for this upcoming December. I am curious what will happen if I switch credit cards (essentially cancelling the Westjet Card)

Would my companion ticket etc still be valid?
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
coleworld wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 12:40 pm
I'm considering doing a product switch from the WestJet MC to the Avion Card, since I now have Gold Status with Westjet (and get free bags etc)

I have used/purchased my Companion ticket for this upcoming December. I am curious what will happen if I switch credit cards (essentially cancelling the Westjet Card)

The booking is compete, it no longer has anything to do with your credit card.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4505 posts
1434 upvotes
Winnipeg
greenmoon wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 5:02 pm
coleworld wrote:

Thanks, I figured it since I already paid the $99 annual fee and $99 companion fee, it shouldn't make a difference to WestJet or RBC.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2092 posts
851 upvotes
Alberta
I am planning on downgrading my avion card to the Westjet card. Would i be able to get the 250 bonus? Probably not right? In any event it's worth it for me. we fly from Edmonton back to Toronto about once a year. So even if i don't get the dollars i am paying 99 fee + 99 companion fare = $198 for my wife to come with me. Currently the base price is $386 + taxes, fees etc. So i'm saving 386 - 198 = $188 right there anyway, and we usually take 1 check in bag, so that's another $50 savings. Seems like a no brainer as long as you fly once a year with WJ.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2643 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
abc123yyz wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 1:46 pm
I am planning on downgrading my avion card to the Westjet card. Would i be able to get the 250 bonus? Probably not right? In any event it's worth it for me. we fly from Edmonton back to Toronto about once a year. So even if i don't get the dollars i am paying 99 fee + 99 companion fare = $198 for my wife to come with me. Currently the base price is $386 + taxes, fees etc. So i'm saving 386 - 198 = $188 right there anyway, and we usually take 1 check in bag, so that's another $50 savings. Seems like a no brainer as long as you fly once a year with WJ.
Just log in to the RBC banking site and it will give you the option to do a credit card switch. Yes, you will get the $250. I just did this and the turnaround time by doing it this way is incredibly fast.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4505 posts
1434 upvotes
Winnipeg
abc123yyz wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 1:46 pm
Actually you will most likely get the $250 bonus. The rep will probably say no, but watch your first statement after first purchase...

I recently changed from RBC WestJet to Avion and got the 15,000 bonus Avion pts
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23259 posts
2812 upvotes
Montreal
coleworld wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 5:07 pm
greenmoon wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 5:02 pm
coleworld wrote:

Thanks, I figured it since I already paid the $99 annual fee and $99 companion fee, it shouldn't make a difference to WestJet or RBC.
Keep it for the free checked bag the day you fly.