None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3805 posts
2541 upvotes
Edmonton

WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard & Best Way to Cancel

So reading on other threads, it doesn't seem that RBC is keen on waiving the annual fee on this card.

It also seems that if you cancel the card, you lose any existing Companion Voucher. My wife and I both have cards as primary holders. We had used one certificate for a flight that had been scheduled last Easter but was cancelled so that voucher was returned and now we have two again.

With a fall renewal looming for the annual fee and supposedly two more vouchers popped into our account, the card does not seem worth it. I'm guessing that all we can do is use the existing vouchers for a booking and then once used, cancel the cards to avoid the annual fees. WestJet is no longer the friendly airline it used to be with the recent news about stringent mask-wearing penalties and now a fare increase:

WestJet boosts fees after Nav Canada rate hike, may appeal increase

I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing about the cards. I guess the biggest concern is that if the cards are cancelled and the flights get cancelled on the existing vouchers, then it's correct that those vouchers would be lost?

Just trying to find out some suggested options to save money. Is there any benefit to downgrading the card? Would this be a way to save the companion vouchers?
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1743 posts
2209 upvotes
Those mask wearing penalties are for repeated refusal to comply - AC does and will ban passengers for similar on-board violations, they just don't publicize it. In addition AC will no doubt pass-on the NAVCAN increase just like Westjet.

Yes, cancelling the card will void UNUSED companion vouchers and they won't be good for re-issue if the flight is cancelled.

Downgrading with RBC is a product-switch, the current card will be cancelled and a new regular Westjet card with DIFFERENT companion voucher issued - the previous vouchers will be voided - but you will get a pro-rata refund for unused months of the annual card fee.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1712 posts
1207 upvotes
Montreal, QC
starchoice wrote:
Just trying to find out some suggested options to save money. Is there any benefit to downgrading the card? Would this be a way to save the companion vouchers?
I'm not sure if this is true/possible/works but one poster mentioned on Redflagdeals that if you have a bank account with RBC, to save on the Westjet World Elite Mastercard (or any other RBC credit card's annual fee), what he does is he upgrades his bank account's plan to the VIP Banking account on the month that the credit card's annual fee will be charged, pays the monthly fee ($30) for the account and the annual fee for the credit card will be reimbursed. You might have to time it right. Once reimbursed for the credit card's annual fee, you then drop your RBC banking account package to one of the lower monthly fee package (or no monthly fee packages). See westjet-rbc-world-elite-mastercard-1268 ... #p32817463

I plan on trying this come December and worst thing for me is I would be out ~$60 extra maximum. If it works I would save ~$60 or ~$90 depending on my timing.
Sep 15, 2019
394 posts
1365 upvotes
High
I recently product switched to the RBC WJ WEMC. The annual fees were gonna hit on sept 1st, so on Aug 25th I upgraded my checking account to their VIP account. Paid $10 in the partial monthly fees and went back to regular no fee banking yesterday. Perfect work around the annual fees!
May 27, 2017
182 posts
198 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Babaji01 wrote: I recently product switched to the RBC WJ WEMC. The annual fees were gonna hit on sept 1st, so on Aug 25th I upgraded my checking account to their VIP account. Paid $10 in the partial monthly fees and went back to regular no fee banking yesterday. Perfect work around the annual fees!
For the product switch, do you need to call the customer service? Or it can be done online easily?
Sep 15, 2019
394 posts
1365 upvotes
High
umcsdon wrote: For the product switch, do you need to call the customer service? Or it can be done online easily?
You can do it online
Feb 17, 2013
103 posts
30 upvotes
We just did a product switch to RBC Avion and got the WJ annual fee probated and applied for the Avion's annual fee. You can witch the product online or you can call the customer service. Online is way simpler.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2486 posts
1775 upvotes
Calgary
I called in and cancelled my card... they wrote me a bank draft for the prorated fee. Like you, this card felt like a massive waste during COVID times, and they were unwilling to waive the AF.

Note that for many, product switch will be more appealing than an outright cancellation like I did.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1936 posts
1126 upvotes
Burnaby
When product switching, do you get WB and FYF (if applicable) of the card you switch to?

My WestJet renewal hits 1st Dec so I am thinking of product switching before then - I've never owned another RBC card so any other good cards/offers worth considering for product switch?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1468 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
kooltilltheen wrote: When product switching, do you get WB and FYF (if applicable) of the card you switch to?

My WestJet renewal hits 1st Dec so I am thinking of product switching before then - I've never owned another RBC card so any other good cards/offers worth considering for product switch?
I asked this question somewhere else on RFD - if you paid an annual fee on your current card you’ll get it prorated, and the card you’re switching to will have the full fee charged. You get the publicly available offer which may or may not include FYF. Not any “special” offer for new applicants like the WestJet $350.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1936 posts
1126 upvotes
Burnaby
Altera wrote: I asked this question somewhere else on RFD - if you paid an annual fee on your current card you’ll get it prorated, and the card you’re switching to will have the full fee charged. You get the publicly available offer which may or may not include FYF. Not any “special” offer for new applicants like the WestJet $350.
What's the difference between a "special" offer and what's publicly available?

And yeah I did pay an annual fee but I've held the card for 10+ months already so a pro-rated refund really doesn't do much for me at this point
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1468 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
kooltilltheen wrote: What's the difference between a "special" offer and what's publicly available?

And yeah I did pay an annual fee but I've held the card for 10+ months already so a pro-rated refund really doesn't do much for me at this point
Should have been more clear, sometimes there are promos through ad-links on google and Facebook offers etc. Those you won’t get.

Looks like offer terms on the actual rbcroyalbank.com page matter, like this one on the WestJet: The Additional WestJet Dollars do not apply to product changes from another RBC credit card to the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1936 posts
1126 upvotes
Burnaby
Altera wrote: Should have been more clear, sometimes there are promos through ad-links on google and Facebook offers etc. Those you won’t get.

Looks like offer terms on the actual rbcroyalbank.com page matter, like this one on the WestJet: The Additional WestJet Dollars do not apply to product changes from another RBC credit card to the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard.
Yeah i saw that and honestly it's what confused me. There's an offer of $350 on the WestJet card but I think $100 of those are as a bonus. So I'm guessing the T&C are saying that if someone product switches to the WestJet card then they'll only get $250?

Which makes me wonder if the FYF on Avion (if it comes back) will be excluded as well.

I might have to argue this point to RBC customer support. Let's see if they budge on getting me a FYF on it (even though there's no particular promo for me to take advantage of atm sadly)