Travel

WestJet Rewards Fare to Gatwick (UK) - less WSD, more cash? Anyone get a better deal previously?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2022 6:34 pm
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
202 posts
103 upvotes

WestJet Rewards Fare to Gatwick (UK) - less WSD, more cash? Anyone get a better deal previously?

Hi RFD,

Was looking at couple trip options and was maybe thinking of the UK/Europe.

I have a lot of WestJet dollars (WSD) but when comparing a flight to England (Gatwick) vs Hawaii seems like they require more cash for England. Wondering if that is dynamic and others have gotten better options in the past when booking an award flight to Gatwick?

Gatwick: Save 13.87 off Econo, 32 WSD + 247.44 CAD per-person
3E58F0EA-AF10-49C6-B94A-14F5E7D3921A.jpeg
Honolulu: Save 26.01 off Econo, 234 WSD + 106.49 CAD per-person
C8E963CD-7949-4D0D-A320-2AB6D99F30DE.jpeg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2647 posts
4038 upvotes
West
It's dynamic to an extent, and 100% unpredictable. Given the current environment where people have endless WSD stored up, I wouldn't even bother hoping that will change. Every time I've checked over the last couple years, the fare breakdown to London has looked like that pretty constantly.

WestJet (and to some extent, AC) uses an artificial category of "other ATC" to control & devalue their rewards/companion vouchers. They claim it has to do with various surcharges & fuel, but it's all 110% bogus.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1768 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've never used WestJet dollars but do they break that number down for you? I'm guessing it's airport taxes and fees.

Air Canada used to charge a fuel surcharge on rewards but it's been dropped. They do charge $39 to book partner rewards.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
202 posts
103 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Every time I've checked over the last couple years, the fare breakdown to London has looked like that pretty constantly.
Super helpful advice! I will look to aeroplan or cheap cash fare now. Appreciate it ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2647 posts
4038 upvotes
West
dr_torch wrote: I've never used WestJet dollars but do they break that number down for you? I'm guessing it's airport taxes and fees.

Air Canada used to charge a fuel surcharge on rewards but it's been dropped. They do charge $39 to book partner rewards.
WestJet refuses to break down those numbers because it's a fake charge - many people have tried to ask. They claim it is used to control for market fluctuations, price of airport fees, fuel, maintenance, etc.

It is NOT a fuel surcharge for reward tickets, as the pricing is for non-reward tickets as well. As such, all of this should already be taken into account in the base fare and/or taxes & fees of the ticket. While I'm sure there are some misc. fees that are out there, they are likely to be peanuts if not overtly charged. Further proving this point is that this fee is that it seems to fluctuate immensely, even on the same route, which makes zero sense if they claim it is for fixed-cost fees.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1768 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately airport taxes / fees are never included with Aeroplan. I agree they should be. They are included in a flight pass so from a consistency point of view you would think rewards flights would work the same way.

Some fees will fluctuate based on exchange rate. For instance a departure tax from Mexico is billed in Mexican peso but will be converted to Canadian dollars.