• Sep 17th, 2018 9:59 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5932 posts
1713 upvotes
Montreal
barkwing wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:27 pm
What's more? If you're a fan of the NFL, then you can enjoy the game during breakfast and enjoy the island the rest of the day.
lol, I remember seeing hockey games at 1pm, at a beach bar, such is life in Hawaii.
Jun 11, 2006
262 posts
182 upvotes
The cheaper flights are on weekdays. Would this make it harder to find accommodation (especially if renting time shares)? Any suggestions for accommodation? Would be for a family of 5. Looked up a hotel in Wailea (Residence Inn) and it was something like $332US /night (one room, 5 people). I assume taxes and fees would be extra. Is this sort of the norm? Would it be better to get an all inclusive package to Hawaii?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1261 posts
668 upvotes
Calgary
zappy312 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:25 pm
Whoops, glad to know this now that I've done a couple of refunds last week. In my experience, when I cancelled online or over the phone I was able to get back the WJ dollars as a travel credit instantly and the credit card refund took 3-5 days to process (as usual). To be safe, you can call in to cancel to confirm that it will be done instantly.
I called them and they were able to refund the difference back to my Visa without cancelling the ticket.

Thanks all for the help.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3482 posts
821 upvotes
Alex360 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:26 pm
Flight ticket price is attractive but remember Air Canada and Westjet just jacked up prices for checked luggages so watch out for hidden charges.
The price went up by $5 for the first bag, didn’t it?

That’s jacked up?
Jan 25, 2008
939 posts
308 upvotes
Montréal
Westjet elite gives free checked luggage and everybody u are with
Nov 11, 2011
346 posts
418 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Balduno wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:20 pm
Hotels are expensive.

Airbnb is cheaper.

But Hawaii is expensive in general.
Gotta be VERY careful with Air BnBs in all of Hawaii. The economy of the state is fuelled by tourism and Air BnB was eating into taxes so the government is really coming down hard on them. There are very specific rules about who can rent out their homes in Hawaii so just because it is listing on the Air BnB website doesnt mean it is legal. Why do you care as a tourist? Well, you dont want to go all the way to Hawaii just to find out the place you were planning to stay has been shut down by the state and then you are going to end up scrambling to find a place to stay. I know it sounds like I am exaggerating but this is totally happening.
Nov 11, 2011
346 posts
418 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
stack1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:51 pm
The cheaper flights are on weekdays. Would this make it harder to find accommodation (especially if renting time shares)? Any suggestions for accommodation? Would be for a family of 5. Looked up a hotel in Wailea (Residence Inn) and it was something like $332US /night (one room, 5 people). I assume taxes and fees would be extra. Is this sort of the norm? Would it be better to get an all inclusive package to Hawaii?
This is the norm. You might be better off looking at condos with a group of 5

There are no all inclusives in Hawaii . The Disney resort Aulani on Oahu offers an on site meal plan but it is just for their cafe restaurant
Nov 11, 2011
346 posts
418 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
jestik wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:09 pm
Well, to be fair Honolulu is the tourist city. Same with Waikiki. Did you venture out into the local towns like Kailua? I have family on Oahu and whenever I visit I stay away from the cities. The rest of Oahu is much nicer.
@jestik is correct, the rest of Oahu is actually incredible. The North Shore area is gorgeous, Kailua as mentioned is one of my favorite places in the world, the beach is incredible
Nov 11, 2011
346 posts
418 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
redkulat wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:31 pm
Shiiiit I wish this was in February
Wait till Black Friday
Sep 15, 2016
182 posts
76 upvotes
We stayed at the Residence Inn in Wailea last Christmas and it was fabulous. I booked it with Marriott points so I am not 100% sure what additional chargers there would be. We do quite a bit of travelling and this was one of my daughters favorite hotels she has ever stayed in. Could have had something to do with the chocolate covered pastries they serve for breakfast each morning.
Redweek is a great place to check for renting out timeshares. Some timeshares do have weekend check in days but there are others that check in during the week days.
I do not believe there are any all inclusive packages to Hawaii.
Nov 11, 2011
346 posts
418 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Sicklyslick wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:23 pm
to the well travelled peeps out there... how often does a deal like this come up?
under $500 from YYZ is rare but I have seen it before. The average sale has been between $500-600 per person round trip from Toronto for the last few years (obvioulsy not holidays, march break etc)