• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 4:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes

Westjet unable to get it together

Another 3 hr delay today coming back to Calgary on WestJet.

Even worse YVR doesn’t have a bag drop off for customers coming back from the US anymore. So you have to carry your tagged bags from international to domestic via the 2nd level concourse. Wait in line with everybody else checking in and then drop off.

This is just crap. Covid has become the excuse for poor investment and service. The bottom line is they’ve cheaped out on staffing. Do yourself a favour and just stay away from WestJet.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7272 posts
6447 upvotes
ya, i mean they have fewer resources to begin with and less flights. i'm glad i book only AC, even for my upcoming trip to vancouver, AC has moved my flight a few times but they still have like 10 flights a day from yyz to yvr so not much of an issue (And they've switched to larger planes a couple of times now..i was originally on an A320 that's now a 788 and return it's now a 789... my friend on WS just got his flight changed by like 5hrs and there's no other flights to switch to on same route

but these disruptions are happening everywhere, just the smaller/cheaper airline like WS and spirit for example have been having the biggest issues it seems
Nov 26, 2018
237 posts
235 upvotes
Rural AB
Speaking of Westjet, anyone happen to know if they plan on extending their no fee change/cancellation policy past August 31st?
Sep 12, 2019
79 posts
115 upvotes
Temujin1 wrote: Another 3 hr delay today coming back to Calgary on WestJet.

Even worse YVR doesn’t have a bag drop off for customers coming back from the US anymore. So you have to carry your tagged bags from international to domestic via the 2nd level concourse. Wait in line with everybody else checking in and then drop off.

This is just crap. Covid has become the excuse for poor investment and service. The bottom line is they’ve cheaped out on staffing. Do yourself a favour and just stay away from WestJet.
I agree the customer service is lousy. I booked a flight but there was an error processing the payment. It is impossible to get a hold of an agent or to pay the balance online. I tried scheduling a callback but it always fails and I have been on hold for more than 3 hours twice now, before having to hang up and call at another time. They better not cancel my ticket at the last minute. If I didn’t still have WestJet dollars left I would just use Air Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7612 posts
1683 upvotes
Scarborough
probably they've laid off most of their staff and now can't get them back or hiring at low wages now people don't wanna do it.
CRB is amazing.
WestJet is probably done...just hanging by a thread.....regional/domestic airline can only survive when borders fully reopen
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7272 posts
6447 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: probably they've laid off most of their staff and now can't get them back or hiring at low wages now people don't wanna do it.
CRB is amazing.
WestJet is probably done...just hanging by a thread.....regional/domestic airline can only survive when borders fully reopen
CRB ended long ago, but yes a lot of workers in sectors hit by pandemic have moved on especially with so many higher paying jobs out there and so much vacancies. the pandemic has really accelerated the shift to higher value jobs for workers with impact on the lowpaying service industry . The perks are also gone from being an airline employee with all the restrictions on travel, so not really surprising they're having hard time
used to be, you get paid peanuts to work for an airline generally but it was made up in pretty good travel benefits

westjet is far from done, they're owned by onex and they can screw around customers more since they didn't take federal loans in exchange for refunds and etc. Onex share price/market cap is higher today than just before pandemic, so they're not really hurting. WS is probably strongest of the canadian airlines financially
Onex reported total segment net earnings for the six-months ended June 30, 2021 of
$752 million ($8.15 per fully diluted share), comprised of net earnings of $549 million from
its investing segment and net earnings of $203 million from its asset and wealth management
segment.

• Onex’ investing capital per share grew 3% in the second quarter and 9% since December 31,
2020 to $80.32 (C$99.55), driven by growth in its private equity and credit investments. As
of June 30, 2021, Onex had approximately $7.5 billion of investing capital.

• Onex’ private equity investments generated a gross return of 4% in the quarter and
13% year-to-date.

• Onex had approximately $1.3 billion of cash and near-cash on its balance sheet as of June 30,
2021. Pro forma for activity announced in July, Onex’ cash and near-cash increased to
$1.6 billion.
Nov 26, 2018
237 posts
235 upvotes
Rural AB
I will say Westjets seat selection fees are a f'ing joke, talk about brutal cash grab.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9377 posts
6754 upvotes
Toronto
Huh I flew with WestJet to Calgary and back just this past week not only did both flights leave exactly on time but also arrived early which is super rare for any airline in my experience. It probably depends on who's working and other conditions. I've had equally good and horrible experiences with Air Canada as well.
Aug 19, 2015
346 posts
262 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I just came back from Florida using westjet, no real issues at YYZ. I think its all about timing. Took us about 2 hours from landing to parking lot because my kids were "randomly" selected for COVID test on site rather then at home.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes
Vako636 wrote: I just came back from Florida using westjet, no real issues at YYZ. I think its all about timing. Took us about 2 hours from landing to parking lot because my kids were "randomly" selected for COVID test on site rather then at home.
Agree. This was not a one off and likely a product of multiple delays that day. I think the reduced frequency and staff kills them though because there’s no buffer left in the system when things go wrong.

Great example of this is when two flights I was on this trip had a single person checking in a full plane. This is crazy. I’ve never seen a full 737 done that way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9257 posts
1634 upvotes
TO
Vako636 wrote: I just came back from Florida using westjet, no real issues at YYZ. I think its all about timing. Took us about 2 hours from landing to parking lot because my kids were "randomly" selected for COVID test on site rather then at home.
Do you mind if I ask if it was a weekday or the weekend? I've heard Peason is crazy busy on Weekends....I'm flying out this coming Sunday and I was told get there 3 hours b/f flight to the US (I have a nexus card) so hoping it;d help but coming back Nexus won't help as what I've read with everyone being pooled in the custom hall.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Aug 19, 2015
346 posts
262 upvotes
Ajax, ON
TorontoEh wrote: Do you mind if I ask if it was a weekday or the weekend? I've heard Peason is crazy busy on Weekends....I'm flying out this coming Sunday and I was told get there 3 hours b/f flight to the US (I have a nexus card) so hoping it;d help but coming back Nexus won't help as what I've read with everyone being pooled in the custom hall.
So our friends came back from Vegas Sunday at 7 pm and 8 were in the park and fly. 2 adults

We came back Monday 4 pm. It was a bit busy. I think after us a 2 more planes landed and the declaration kiosks were busy!

My biggest fear was sitting on the plane for 3 hours with kids. It was goddamn hot during taxing and that only took 10 mins. Can’t imagine 2-3 hours on a plane