• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2020 1:16 pm
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg

Westjet Vacation Cancellation

I had a westjet vacation booked through sell off vacations for mid April. After spending 4 hours on hold with sell off, I finally got through to an operator to cancel my trip. According to everything I’ve seen, we are suppose to get a no fee return of the amount we paid into our account as westjet dollars. The operator told me though that Westjet’s policy is to withhold the taxes paid. This totals to almost $700 for my trip. Has anyone else cancelled with sell off or westjet and have this happen as well?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3372 posts
1994 upvotes
Edmonton
Why would they keep taxes for a product not delivered?
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
starchoice wrote: Why would they keep taxes for a product not delivered?
My thoughts exactly. I asked the agent but all they kept saying was it is westjets policy.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TheHoffer wrote: My thoughts exactly. I asked the agent but all they kept saying was it is westjets policy.
Can confirm that. No idea why and it doesn’t make sense to me either.

A few catches to their policy:

You have to have a Westjet Rewards account (you are refunded in Westjet dollars incl children).

If there’s a few people on your booking (ie 2 adults & 2 kids... the cost refunded is the amount before taxes and is split per person regardless of who the credit card holder is)
Exp: adult price: $1000+ tax ($1000 will be returned via Westjet Dollars)
Kids: $500 + tax ($500 will be returned via Westjet dollars)

Travel needs to be completed by the end of 2020 (I have a feeling that might change?)
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
BrunetteGirl wrote: Can confirm that. No idea why and it doesn’t make sense to me either.

A few catches to their policy:

You have to have a Westjet Rewards account (you are refunded in Westjet dollars incl children).

If there’s a few people on your booking (ie 2 adults & 2 kids... the cost refunded is the amount before taxes and is split per person regardless of who the credit card holder is)
Exp: adult price: $1000+ tax ($1000 will be returned via Westjet Dollars)
Kids: $500 + tax ($500 will be returned via Westjet dollars)

Travel needs to be completed by the end of 2020 (I have a feeling that might change?)
So strange and thank you for confirmation. I feel like i’m being extorted but I guess 80% back is better than nothing.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TheHoffer wrote: So strange and thank you for confirmation. I feel like i’m being extorted but I guess 80% back is better than nothing.
Sorry to hear - I agree- it’s a bit odd of a policy.

What was your destination? Westjet typically has the lowest taxes (should be in the $125-$250 range) but it’s still a big chunk of change. Make sure you are credited accordingly to what you have paid.

If it makes you feel any better the competitors policies aren’t exactly amazing either.

Air Canada Vacations and Transat’s policy aren’t too much better. You don’t lose your taxes but travel also has to be completed by the end of 2020. They both have pretty high taxes (compared to Westjet) and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some catch down the line bc of that.

Sunwing is charging an additional +$100 / per person for the full amount in a future travel voucher that expires at the end of April 2021.

....I think all 4 of them are allowing you to rebook today for no change fees (but personally I wouldn’t- it’s a bit hard to commit to things in the future at this point) IMHO
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
BrunetteGirl wrote: Sorry to hear - I agree- it’s a bit odd of a policy.

What was your destination? Westjet typically has the lowest taxes (should be in the $125-$250 range) but it’s still a big chunk of change. Make sure you are credited accordingly to what you have paid.

If it makes you feel any better the competitors policies aren’t exactly amazing either.

Air Canada Vacations and Transat’s policy aren’t too much better. You don’t lose your taxes but travel also has to be completed by the end of 2020. They both have pretty high taxes (compared to Westjet) and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some catch down the line bc of that.

Sunwing is charging an additional +$100 / per person for the full amount in a future travel voucher that expires at the end of April 2021.

....I think all 4 of them are allowing you to rebook today for no change fees (but personally I wouldn’t- it’s a bit hard to commit to things in the future at this point) IMHO
We were headed to Cancun. Taxes were approx $230 a person so we're losing $690 of our $3k+ paid but again, still better than losing everything. I also agree about rebooking instead of cancelling. Who knows what the situation will be in the future. Better to have the Westjet dollars to book at a later time than gamble on a date in the future hoping things have cleared up. Thanks for all your info!
Jan 14, 2007
858 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
I cancelled 3 bookings directly with westjet on Saturday morning after being on hold for almost 3hrs since i booked directly with westjet for flights. I got every penny of our flights as travel credit, it was about $2300 for 4ppl.

Not sure why they would withhold the taxes.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
rajojomanik wrote: I cancelled 3 bookings directly with westjet on Saturday morning after being on hold for almost 3hrs since i booked directly with westjet for flights. I got every penny of our flights as travel credit, it was about $2300 for 4ppl.

Not sure why they would withhold the taxes.
Westjet Vacations or the airline: Westjet?
As confusing as it sounds they operate as two separate entities.
Jan 14, 2007
858 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: Westjet Vacations or the airline: Westjet?
As confusing as it sounds they operate as two separate entities.
Westjet (airline) directly for flights only. My bookings was for flight only.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
rajojomanik wrote: Westjet (airline) directly for flights only. My bookings was for flight only.
That’s your answer.
WJV operates differently then Westjet the airline. They have different contracts/ rebooking rules.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1548 posts
821 upvotes
GTA
Cancelled our Bahamas vacation on Thursday. Received full amount refunded back as credit, good for one year (travel can take place at anytime after the one year as long as we book before March 12 2021). We booked directly with WestJet Vacations.

Speak to a supervisor and ask nicely.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12365 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
WEST JET NEWS ...
Gonna change focus for the next 30 Days

https://blog.westjet.com/statement-on-o ... m-ed-sims/

westjet-cancels-all-international-flights-2362096/

Note ... Folks WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE

I would take whatever you can get ... be that for the Flights or the Vacation ... refund or future travel credit
And NOT REBOOK ANYTHING ... yet

Cuz even if you buy Travel Insurance ... it will be NULL & VOID for as long as this current GOVT OF CANADA TRAVEL ADVISORY saying Cdns need to be back in Canada is in effect

And no telling how long that will be

Yup... these are crazy times

Stay safe everyone
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
loriblum wrote: Cancelled our Bahamas vacation on Thursday. Received full amount refunded back as credit, good for one year (travel can take place at anytime after the one year as long as we book before March 12 2021). We booked directly with WestJet Vacations.

Speak to a supervisor and ask nicely.
You give me hope. I haven't received my refund yet so I'm not entirely sure how much they will be returning. The tax bit was just told to me by the travel agent so maybe WestJet is handling these cancellations differently since it's completely out of our power. I will wait and see what they return. Thanks for the info!
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
863 upvotes
If taxes from a vacay were to foreign countries or third parties...ie cruise ship charging port fees you will not be getting money back
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12365 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Fjr2005 wrote: If taxes from a vacay were to foreign countries or third parties...ie cruise ship charging port fees you will not be getting money back
Disagree on the Cruise Ship example

Even in regular times when a cruise is cancelled

You can lose a lot of monies ... but often the taxes & port fees are returned to the traveller

Money is in 2 seperate pots ... Fares + Taxes & Fees

Seems that’s what is going on with some airlines & vacation pkgs ... money in 2 piles

I think it depends a lot on what has been PREPAID by the Company in question

Which is WHY we are seeing differences between Airlines, etc
[OP]
Oct 6, 2008
168 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just wanted to update with my situation. I received my refund today and received the full amount with taxes returned in Westjet dollars. I guess they're handling these cancellations differently than the normal ones.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TheHoffer wrote: Just wanted to update with my situation. I received my refund today and received the full amount with taxes returned in Westjet dollars. I guess they're handling these cancellations differently than the normal ones.
Can confirm after much backlash Westjet Vacations changed their policy (around the 22nd I believe?) to credit the full amount in Westjet Dollars. Which only makes sense IMHO

No idea why or how it made sense to withhold taxes.

Glad it worked out for you.