Expired Hot Deals

[WestJet] Westjet Canadian cities to Paris summer flights $550-$690 RT

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2018 9:23 am
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
cbt123 wrote: Booked Winnipeg to Paris for $480 in June, that's an unheard of price for Europe in the Summer and I've probably gone over 20 times. Don't really mind the connection in Halifax.

I should get the free checked bag by being silver, and I can use up my WestJet seat selection and lounge vouchers that expire in June anyway.
Now that's a good deal! Seems like it's only a decent deal outside of the major cities too bad where other options are nearly as bad anyways
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
dasiuyan wrote: i understand the complains about a stop in halifax ... but what's wrong with the new 737-800 max? although it is not wide body as air transat a330, just the 737 bigger size overhead bin is huge stress relief when you get on the plane with carry on...

The A330 is 2-4-2 with " 4" bins per row of 8 seats

737 is 3-3 with 2 overhead bins . The larger bin isn't nearly enough to make up for less storage bins per pax

Add the baggage fees and you will have a lot more people stuffing huge carry on just like in domestic
Oct 18, 2007
510 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Anon2018 wrote: No bags, No food, Cramped in a 737, with a stopover in Halifax. No thank you, couldn't pay me to take this flight. Wait for AirTransat Seat Sale closer to summer. This might appeal to someone who doesn't value their time.
I was on a flight from toronto to tampa florida and the seats were so narrow it was a very uncomfortable flight for 3hrs. Im not a overly big guy and neither was my seatmate. I was told by fellow passengers that westjet airplanes are narrow seated compared to other airlines. I've flown to numerous destinations, short and long haul flights via all different kinds of airlines and i've never had issues with space.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7630 posts
5139 upvotes
Canada
dasiuyan wrote: but what's wrong with the new 737-800 max?
It's a 50 year old rehashed design with a cramped, narrow fuselage and narrower seats compared to the competition - A320 or CSeries
Aug 8, 2007
182 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Does the 737-8 MAX to CDG have the seatback in-flight entertainment system? Or do we need to bring an iPad and use the Westjet app?

For our family of four it's a toss-up right now between WS and Transat, who offer direct flights including meals, IFE, and checked baggage for about $100 more each ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5947 posts
9656 upvotes
Montreal
dasiuyan wrote: (...) but what's wrong with the new 737-800 max? (...)
New "thin" seating. The 737-800 max should be used for short domestic flights, not crossing the Atlantic.
Your butt will know soon enough what's wrong with the new 737-800 max
Jan 14, 2017
417 posts
266 upvotes
waven101 wrote: any tips on how to get deals on hotels in paris or london
Get SPG Amex cards. You get two and your spouse get 2 then you guys are set!
We booked this 7 nights for up coming summer in July...around $1000 per night if we were going to pay.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... gland.html

On a side note, our flight from YYZ to LHR direct is on AC business class then we are going to Asia before we come back to Toronto. All on aeroplan and taxes and fee in business class per person is only $450.
Jul 17, 2016
125 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have been checking for flight from Calgary to London and Paris and I am not seeing any deals for August. So I am not sure why everyone is so excited. Perhaps I am missing something???
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8567 upvotes
GTHA
mgmjtech wrote: I have been checking for flight from Calgary to London and Paris and I am not seeing any deals for August. So I am not sure why everyone is so excited. Perhaps I am missing something???
Blackout dates: For Paris and London (Gatwick) from June 28 to September 3, 2018.

From https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... edules/new
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8815 posts
5776 upvotes
Kootenays
miguel sanchez wrote: Does the 737-8 MAX to CDG have the seatback in-flight entertainment system? Or do we need to bring an iPad and use the Westjet app?

For our family of four it's a toss-up right now between WS and Transat, who offer direct flights including meals, IFE, and checked baggage for about $100 more each ticket.

No screens on the 737-800 max that I was on this fall YYC-YYZ. Free IFE on your computer/tablet/phone with Westjet app, though.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2139 posts
738 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: Now that's a good deal! Seems like it's only a decent deal outside of the major cities too bad where other options are nearly as bad anyways
Yeah, I've never seen a flight to Europe this cheap from Winnipeg always from Toronto or Montreal. A little vacation a no brainer when the flight to Paris is almost the same as the regular price of a flight to Toronto.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
Based on historical Halifax-London summer Air Canada fares, I have no doubt Westjet can profitably fill their smaller 737s, even without passengers from Ontario and Quebec. I do have doubts about their flight to Paris though. ASL Airlines has dropped the route, and they were only doing it twice a week and presumably had feed from other French cities. And there are so many Montreal-Paris seats. And when Air Canada gets greedy, the 350,000 Halligonians can use Condor, United, Delta, Icelandair & American Airlines to airports that aren’t much of a detour.

So enjoy it while you can.

I’ve spent many hours killing time at Halifax airport, including overnight. It is a pretty nice airport to hang out in. Food at Tim Hortons is regular price (and 24 hours land side). Hotels and drinking options aren’t cheap. And the airport is relatively isolated. But if you have many daytime hours to kill you can get into the city and back by city bus. Or rent a car to explore more rural parts of Nova Scotia. Unlike St. John’s, the Halifax airport has 24 hour luggage storage.

Going through customs and security in Halifax on your way back can be considered a real hassle (especially if you get pulled into secondary and miss your connection like I did). However, you do arrive as a local at your home airport.

Lightning storm delays are rare, but fog sometimes can get flights rerouted to Moncton. Allow for a time buffer in Europe.

Wow and Icelandair transports Torontonians and Montrealers to Europe despite Iceland being a detour. I assume most are going to Scandinavia with Iceland being on the way. But perhaps some are simply flying north to save money (on the way back, the jet-stream avoiding flight path usually flies pretty close to Iceland anyway).

Westjet still flies to Dublin From YYT.
Like many small airports, the Newfoundland airport isn’t particularly efficient, and the culture shock (and weather) of St. John’s can be jarring, but there is something to be said for really short flights to “Europe”. From Dublin you can book an onward flight on Ryanair. Dublin weather (wet but few storms) is quite conducive to on time flights, essential if you don’t want to miss your flight back to Canada.

A major advantage of Westjet is one way pricing. This allows you to “save” by flying back to Canada from a non UK city to save the $130 departure tax. Other airlines that do one-way pricing are Air Transat, Condor and WOW. Westjet flies to Dublin, Paris, London and Glasgow.

Maritime Bus
Maritime Bus can drop you off at the Halifax airport on your way to and from North-East Nova Scotia, PEI or New Brunswick. And the Westjet flight times to London and Paris actually work with Maritime Bus’ very limited schedule, removing expensive hotel stays. However, Maritime Bus isn’t particularly fast or cheap. Hopefully you have an expensive taxi cab or parking fare to your local airport to make Maritime Bus-Halifax-Europe sensible.

Since Frenchmen don’t have a particular affinity for Nova Scotia, I really think Westjet erred by offering daily flights to Halifax. Seems to me they should have mixed it up with other Atlantic cities including Saint-John, St. John’s, Fredericton, Moncton and even Charlottetown.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5947 posts
9656 upvotes
Montreal
Wow! Thanks MonctonMan for an informative and interesting post.

But as a Montrealer, to save money going to Europe, I would much rather use Icelandair (even Wow) or others to make a stopover in Iceland than have to waste hours going through Halifax.

Iceland should not be considered a bother but an opportunity to see amazing landscapes: rent a car and go around the island in a day.
Jan 3, 2017
49 posts
61 upvotes
An FYI to anybody who actually booked this.

I booked a flight from Calgary to Paris in late September. Yesterday I got an email from westjet notifying me of some flight changes. They added on an extra 10+ hours to our travelling time there and back (much longer time waiting in Halifax for the connecting flights)

We were given the option to refund the flight which we will be doing. Just wanted to let others know to check their emails /junk folders in case their flights changed as well.
Mar 6, 2015
292 posts
210 upvotes
Quebec, QC
Damn. I already booked our tickets to the UK (for $900/each, I was just happy to get under $1k/person). For $350 savings per person for 6 people, we could have added a short visit to Paris and probably come out about even.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
Mrs403 wrote: An FYI to anybody who actually booked this.

I booked a flight from Calgary to Paris in late September. Yesterday I got an email from westjet notifying me of some flight changes. They added on an extra 10+ hours to our travelling time there and back (much longer time waiting in Halifax for the connecting flights)

We were given the option to refund the flight which we will be doing. Just wanted to let others know to check their emails /junk folders in case their flights changed as well.
Very bizarre. They are still selling the Calgary-Halifax-Glasgow route with the 90 minute layover. The Paris flight actually leaves 5 minutes later.
https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=YYC.G ... .CAD.88661
Nov 4, 2011
682 posts
444 upvotes
YYZ

They're probably doing this to prevent you from misconnecting on your leg back to YYC where they would need to pay out EU 251/2004 compensation as a result of your CDGYHZ flight.

I'm still seeing flights from CDG to YYC for every day in Sept with the 1:25 stop in YHZ. Granted, some are $1300, but most days have the short stopover still available.
Happy Amex / Brim / EQ / HSBC / Simplii / Tangerine Customer

[RFD BST] HP Instant Ink Printer for Sale
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
zappy312 wrote: They're probably doing this to prevent you from misconnecting on your leg back to YYC where they would need to pay out EU 251/2004 compensation as a result of your CDGYHZ flight.
They are still selling the Paris-Halifax-Calgary route with the 85 minute layover. That’s a relatively tight layover considering you have to go through immigration, customs and then security (although totally doable if the plane is on time and you don’t get pulled into secondary screening). And if you miss your connection, Westjet has other ways to get you to Calgary from Halifax (via Montreal and Toronto).

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m/05 ... .CAD.45186
Jun 5, 2009
21 posts
4 upvotes

We got the same flight change email last week and I called them and politely informed them no way in hell would I be doing a red-eye to Halifax only to hang out for ~12 hours before an international flight. The polite agent promptly switched my flights back, and explained they changed the flight numbers for the Calgary-Halifax and Halifax-Calgary segments. Indeed, if you look closely, the flights from Calgary - Halifax - Paris (and vice-versa) have the same flight number. This, I believe, enables them to market the flight as direct (versus non-stop) Calgary to Paris.

I'm surprised you weren't offered the same solution upon calling? Certainly they not an ideal way to start a new route.
Jan 3, 2017
49 posts
61 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Very bizarre. They are still selling the Calgary-Halifax-Glasgow route with the 90 minute layover. The Paris flight actually leaves 5 minutes later.
https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=YYC.G ... .CAD.88661
zappy312 wrote:
They're probably doing this to prevent you from misconnecting on your leg back to YYC where they would need to pay out EU 251/2004 compensation as a result of your CDGYHZ flight.

I'm still seeing flights from CDG to YYC for every day in Sept with the 1:25 stop in YHZ. Granted, some are $1300, but most days have the short stopover still available.
MonctonMan wrote:
They are still selling the Paris-Halifax-Calgary route with the 85 minute layover. That’s a relatively tight layover considering you have to go through immigration, customs and then security (although totally doable if the plane is on time and you don’t get pulled into secondary screening). And if you miss your connection, Westjet has other ways to get you to Calgary from Halifax (via Montreal and Toronto).

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m/05 ... .CAD.45186
cdawg wrote:
We got the same flight change email last week and I called them and politely informed them no way in hell would I be doing a red-eye to Halifax only to hang out for ~12 hours before an international flight. The polite agent promptly switched my flights back, and explained they changed the flight numbers for the Calgary-Halifax and Halifax-Calgary segments. Indeed, if you look closely, the flights from Calgary - Halifax - Paris (and vice-versa) have the same flight number. This, I believe, enables them to market the flight as direct (versus non-stop) Calgary to Paris.

I'm surprised you weren't offered the same solution upon calling? Certainly they not an ideal way to start a new route.
Thx everyone for the information. We have now called in and gotten back our original flight plan.

Why they would've switched us in the first place to an awful one when they could've just changed the flight numbers and kept our original itinerary is a mystery and very annoying.

But France here we come! :)