Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
WestJet

WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard plus Silver Status

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 3:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
is this card new?
or is the $100 annual price new?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
dundeal wrote: Note for ppl interested in the card for Companion voucher: It is $99 + Taxes, fees and charges.

I checked a flight for Yyz to Nyc, and the extra charges were $138, taking the total to $237. Thats pretty much the going fare, so the voucher is kinda useless.

So the only real use for this voucher is if you plan to fly longer distances or coast to coast.
True, from Toronto to NYC is only hour and half while Vancouver to NYC is more than 5 hours. Lowest round trip from Vancouver to NYC is $450, so savings using companion ticket is $200.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
Prasprime wrote: Just say your household income is $130K. No one gonna ask documents. Thats how my card approved. With 1k limit. :) Face With Tears Of Joy
I thought the minimum limit was $5,000?
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Mar 2, 2006
595 posts
533 upvotes
just signed up. is there some confirmation email or something from rewardscanada after you get approved for the credit card for the silver status? if you don't get silver status in 6 weeks how do you follow up with rewardscanada?
Jan 2, 2009
163 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
Cjohnson202 wrote: I got this card when I was making $45-50k and just said I made $80 and got the card. I have always had really good credit though.
I wish I had seen this post a week earlier and applied saying I made above $70K. I got declined for this card despite having excellent Equifax credit score above 800! Not sure if I should try again now coz i don't want another hard credit check so soon.
Mar 6, 2003
703 posts
118 upvotes
Is the silver status only good for a year or do you keep it as long as you have the credit card?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Prodigy45 wrote: Is the silver status only good for a year or do you keep it as long as you have the credit card?
It's in the OP and the link provided
Jan 15, 2014
23 posts
5 upvotes
Spruce Grove
west jet requirement for $70000 income is garbage. if you are reitred with that kind of income. great for you. It is an income many people can't attain without lying on the online form. I just don't get it from westjet.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
ponchuk wrote: west jet requirement for $70000 income is garbage. if you are reitred with that kind of income. great for you. It is an income many people can't attain without lying on the online form. I just don't get it from westjet.

It's not just WestJet. Any "premium" card has that kind of income (i.e. MC World Elite, Visa Infinite, AMEX Platinum) and it's reasonable because you get a lot of benefits and in return, they expect you to have the income to spend enough for them to be able to afford to provide you those benefits at reasonable cost
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
At the end of they day, credit cards is a business. They have actuaries calculate how much people spend based on their income. So I assume at $70k, people are spending enough on the card to justify the benefits of the card.

If you make less, you're going to spend less money, and Westjet will be losing money by you having their card.

That's the only reason the min. income is $70k. If the actuaries calculated an annual income of $30k that would justify the benefits, that is what the min. would be.

If you look at it that way, it makes a little more sense.
Oct 10, 2006
953 posts
1516 upvotes
Ottawa
Have anyone tried to cancel and reapply? Do you get $250 again?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Pretty sure mine expires this month... I doubt that I could re-apply through that link vs just renewal since we I already have it. Hmmmm.

We took a decent amount of trips last year, but still couldn't reach silver status. Unfortunately WestJet is not always the cheaper, so we ended up on AC, Delta or United occasionally.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1076 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
Last August, WestJet had a status match promo: if you had status above basic in a travel program, they would give you Gold for a year after the first flight. I have Marriott silver and it was good enough to quantify.

They will probably do it again this year.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Jun 3, 2011
6 posts
4 upvotes
L6x4t6
ponchuk wrote: west jet requirement for $70000 income is garbage. if you are reitred with that kind of income. great for you. It is an income many people can't attain without lying on the online form. I just don't get it from westjet.
The other option is $120K household income. If you don't have a certain level of income you prob won't be taking advantage of having silver status anyhow.

Otherwise, maybe Westjet just doesn't care about all their customers as their ad suggests. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
carbide wrote: Last August, WestJet had a status match promo: if you had status above basic in a travel program, they would give you Gold for a year after the first flight. I have Marriott silver and it was good enough to quantify.

They will probably do it again this year.
The only thing bad about that is you have to travel by October and then gold status expires that December. Unless you have lots of trips planned between Aug-Dec, it's not that great of a deal
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2960 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary
john.canad wrote: The only thing bad about that is you have to travel by October and then gold status expires that December. Unless you have lots of trips planned between Aug-Dec, it's not that great of a deal
I did Status match last summer with Westjet. You get to keep the Gold until December 2017, so just over a year (ie status match got me Gold from Oct 2016 to Dec 2017).
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
jarfgames wrote: I did Status match last summer with Westjet. You get to keep the Gold until December 2017, so just over a year (ie status match got me Gold from Oct 2016 to Dec 2017).
Oh that's great then! I misread it as Dec 2016
Jan 2, 2009
163 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
jellytime wrote: At the end of they day, credit cards is a business. They have actuaries calculate how much people spend based on their income. So I assume at $70k, people are spending enough on the card to justify the benefits of the card.

If you make less, you're going to spend less money, and Westjet will be losing money by you having their card.

That's the only reason the min. income is $70k. If the actuaries calculated an annual income of $30k that would justify the benefits, that is what the min. would be.

If you look at it that way, it makes a little more sense.
I get it but what I don't understand is why they don't verify income when folks apply for such premium card. As someone has suggested earlier in the post, people lie about their income to qualify for this card. I wonder how they approve application instantly online. Do they only check credit score?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
woesermarley wrote: I get it but what I don't understand is why they don't verify income when folks apply for such premium card. As someone has suggested earlier in the post, people lie about their income to qualify for this card. I wonder how they approve application instantly online. Do they only check credit score?
No one really knows. Probably some sort of algorithm they designed. The best policy is to be honest, in case they ever do call to verify. There are some jobs where it's obvious they will be making enough, and correlating with their good credit ratings, they don't bother.

They are also likely banking (pun intended) on the fact that unless you make that kind of income, you probably aren't willing to pay the annual fee. But of course, there are exceptions where annual fees can be waived indefinitely if they happen to have a promo like that and in that case, they probably just want to get as many clients as possible.

Lastly, premium cards like these generally give you a very large credit limit, and if you're not careful, you'll overspend and start paying interest, which is where they catch you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)