Travel

Is Westjet worth $ 500.00 more than Air Transat for pretty much the same flight ? What am I missing here ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2019 4:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3598 posts
818 upvotes
GTA North

Is Westjet worth $ 500.00 more than Air Transat for pretty much the same flight ? What am I missing here ?

Is Air Transat that bad ? I've never flown Air Transat. Air Canada doesn't have what I want in term of time or price.
It's for a trip to Cancun.

It's for a family of 4, total price difference.

Thanks.

Edit:. One day after I buy it WestJet goes back to being similar price to to Air Transat albeit with a slightly less convenient flight time. I'm just sick of these airlines playing their roulette price games just like the gas stations. The difference is an airline ticket will cost you hundreds of dollars difference as supposed to few dollars at the pump.
Last edited by tkl on Aug 24th, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
21 replies
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3848 upvotes
book the cheapest, unless you're getting premium seats/business or something for that money
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1808 posts
903 upvotes
Alberta
Yah book the cheapest. Nothing special about WestJet at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1411 posts
1100 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe flying time makes the difference. Like WestJet leaving at 8 AM (you get at least half a day there), while Transat is leaving at 12 PM (both go and back days are lost).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Not related, but related, WestJet needs to update or replace their fleet of 737s soon. They're trying to compete with AC, but all they can compete with is AC Rouge.

No screens, terrible seats, average legroom. Blah. I wouldn't take them for anything over 3 hours and I'd only take them if it's a significant discount over AC Rouge, which is rare.
:confused:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Isostar wrote: Maybe flying time makes the difference. Like WestJet leaving at 8 AM (you get at least half a day there), while Transat is leaving at 12 PM (both go and back days are lost).
If it is on time and not delayed or cancelled again. :)
Jul 30, 2015
800 posts
756 upvotes
500$ more ? Wow... book with Air Transat no doubt about it. They’re both the same anyway
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1159 upvotes
Cancun is not a long flight. I would book the cheapest. To me, flight is just another way to get me from point A to point B, much like Greyhound. If you wouldn't shop around for Greyhound, then you probably wouldn't need to bother for flights. All these luxury upgrades makes a very mild difference in my opinion. On a short flight, it's no different than a day trip to Algonquin park. On a longer flight, take some sleeping pills and read a book or something. More leg space is nice but when I travel, I focus more on the destination than how comfy my ride is.
Mar 16, 2006
319 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
$500 will buy mucho cervezas, go Transat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3598 posts
818 upvotes
GTA North
Thanks everybody. Booked direct flight Air Transat. It actually had the best times as well, arriving in Cancun at 1230. Departing and arriving back at Pearson at 1630.
It's the same planes South West uses when I fly to FLL.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6620 posts
3597 upvotes
Mississauga
Seats on Transat were much more narrow than WestJet though seat pitch was similar. Still, it’s not a long flight to Cancun so I’d save the money and fly Transat.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4863 posts
2037 upvotes
Winnipeg
Never had an issue with Air Transat. If booking a package, it's usually better and offers more for the same or less money than AC or WJ.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Transat is a charter airline and relies on vacation travellers (who tend to book in advance). They do not tend to offer connections (although Transat does offer this in limited scenarios) and rely on passengers and a local market that will be boarding a flight from point A to B (example: Toronto -Cancun).

Westjet is a scheduled carrier. So if you live in (for example) Halifax or Winnipeg you can book it as one ticket (example: Halifax - Toronto- Cancun). Their only other competition that has this ability is Air Canada. Hence, they have a bigger market and can charge more $$

Have flown both airlines to Cancun this year and I like Transat and all my flights left on time including 2 trips with them overseas this year (also, Westjet has horrid gates at YYZ that require a very long walk which is probably a pain with kids. It’s hit and miss if you get unlucky with those gates).
Last edited by BrunetteGirl on Aug 23rd, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
tkl wrote: Thanks everybody. Booked direct flight Air Transat. It actually had the best times as well, arriving in Cancun at 1230. Departing and arriving back at Pearson at 1630.
It's the same planes South West uses when I fly to FLL.
Just remember to pay for your bags in advance (outside of I believe 48 hours from departure) as it’s cheaper. Like Westjet, Transat’s Eco Standard Fares do not include checked bags.

If you booked as package via Transat Holidays then it’s included regardless. Westjet Vacations packages however no longer include checked bags anymore.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1742 posts
2207 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Not related, but related, WestJet needs to update or replace their fleet of 737s soon. They're trying to compete with AC, but all they can compete with is AC Rouge.

No screens, terrible seats, average legroom. Blah. I wouldn't take them for anything over 3 hours and I'd only take them if it's a significant discount over AC Rouge, which is rare.
Westjet's 737 fleet is relatively young as far as airline's go. AC's is older on average. Westjet were adding new 737-MAX, but most people are aware of what happened with those.

Given that the majority of people travel in Economy class (especially on vacation) and given that Westjet and AC seats are virtually indistinguishable, I fail to see any basis for your assertion about seats and legroom. Rouge has a knee-crushing 29" pitch in regular Economy; Westjet 31-33".

Yes, Westjet has been removing the screens from their 737 aircraft - but given the number of people that have their own laptop/tablet/big-screen-phone to watch movies for free - it hardly seems a major issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
iEyeCaptain wrote: No screens, (..) I wouldn't take them for anything over 3 hours.
What did you write this on? If you don’t like watching movies on your smartphone, get an iPad! Netflix et al will let you download content if you are too cheap for iTunes. Battery on an iPad or smartphone is really good with cell and wifi off.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4285 posts
1558 upvotes
WFH
I've noticed Westjet don't seem to be interested in competing this year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3598 posts
818 upvotes
GTA North
BrunetteGirl wrote: Just remember to pay for your bags in advance (outside of I believe 48 hours from departure) as it’s cheaper. Like Westjet, Transat’s Eco Standard Fares do not include checked bags.

If you booked as package via Transat Holidays then it’s included regardless. Westjet Vacations packages however no longer include checked bags anymore.
yes I noticed that when I went to their actual website after booking from Expedia TD. I booked my all inclusive and flight separately because it was cheaper than the package offered from any of the tour providers.
Heatware 3-0
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10155 posts
2128 upvotes
Victoria
I only did Air Transat once. Flew from Vancouver to London, and then on the way back Amsterdam->Vancouver. What you need to watch out for is sometimes they book your flights on other airlines. The one to London was on Thomas Cook and it wasn't good. I'm resigned to be taller than average and airplanes skimping on room, but it's the worse I've seen. I was stuck for 9 hours (or whatever it is) with my knees jammed into the seat ahead of me. On top of that they announce the in flight entertainment was broken so I was bored out of mind. This was 8 years ago mind you, so I now load my cell phone with content before boarding any plane.

The way back was fine. It was on an actual Air Transat plane. More legroom, more space, no crunching kneeds, and the inflight entertainment worked fine.

So basically i'm saying make sure it's actually an air transit flight :)
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10155 posts
2128 upvotes
Victoria
robsaw wrote:

Yes, Westjet has been removing the screens from their 737 aircraft - but given the number of people that have their own laptop/tablet/big-screen-phone to watch movies for free - it hardly seems a major issue.
I miss the screens. They're propped up on by themselves and at eye level. Trying to watch a move on the phone is tough because there's no where to prop up the phone. I could make do if Westjet installed something in liue of the srcreen that could mount your phone so it would hold it up at eye level. I also miss the live sat. tv the TV's in the seats had. Loved watching live sports on my flights. The stuff they have available on wifi isn't that great.