Expired Hot Deals

[Westminster Savings] $600 welcome bonus when you sign up for a new chequing account at South Surrey branch (Must live or work in Surrey, BC)

Nov 21, 2017
891 posts
543 upvotes
Surrey BC
Just left the credit union. Here's some details . Boss said they have over 100 potential customers for this promo so Surrey residents gotta come quick cuz boss at the credit union said they might pull the plug cuz 600 dollars is a big promo .
It's only the 160th and 24th branch that's doing this promo and you have to make an appt. They're so busy with this promo that my appt to make the account is December 7th. Might be o earlier ones you never know .

Again have to live and work in Surrey and they will run a credit check. Also they said even if they pull the plug early on this promo as long as you have setup an appt they will honour the promo. Again act quick cuz the promo is well advertised at the branch in the busy but car oriented depressing strip malls of south Surrey.
So yea pretty good promo .
Last edited by Nexusrules1 on Nov 4th, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2327 posts
2768 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Better safe than Surrey.
Aug 5, 2019
40 posts
31 upvotes
Seems they open Mon-Fri only. Were you able to make an appointment on Dec 7th Saturday? My work is quite far from that branch so it will be nice if I could visit them on Saturdays. Thanks.

Edit: just checked their website and showing that they're open on saturday while Google map shows mon-fri. Will call in to make sure

flipper316 wrote: Just left the credit union. Here's some details . Boss said they have over 100 potential customers for this promo so Surrey residents gotta come quick cuz boss at the credit union said they might pull the plug cuz 600 dollars is a big promo .
It's only the 160th and 24th branch that's doing this promo and you have to make an appt. They're so busy with this promo that my appt to make the account is December 7th. Might be o earlier ones you never know .

Again have to live and work in Surrey and they will run a credit check. Also they said even if they pull the plug early on this promo as long as you have setup an appt they will honour the promo. Again act quick cuz the promo is well advertised at the branch in the busy but car oriented depressing strip malls of south Surrey.
Nov 6, 2017
88 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Ccalico wrote: Seems they open Mon-Fri only. Were you able to make an appointment on Dec 7th Saturday? My work is quite far from that branch so it will be nice if I could visit them on Saturdays. Thanks.

Edit: just checked their website and showing that they're open on saturday while Google map shows mon-fri. Will call in to make sure
I phoned them this morning and there was no availability on Saturdays. Only few options left.
Feb 28, 2011
929 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
flipper316 wrote: Just left the credit union. Here's some details . Boss said they have over 100 potential customers for this promo so Surrey residents gotta come quick cuz boss at the credit union said they might pull the plug cuz 600 dollars is a big promo .

Live AND work? Or live OR work?
Tangerine and Public Mobile customer
Dec 16, 2007
22 posts
2 upvotes
Lower Mainland
massakk wrote: Live AND work? Or live OR work?
Website says live OR work. I just booked an appointment for Dec 4th and I only live in Surrey. Btw their rep said live OR work on the phone too.
Aug 9, 2010
72 posts
18 upvotes
Burnaby
Called just now. They have no more appointments before the promotion period ends so they are waitlisting folks.
Sep 23, 2011
154 posts
91 upvotes
Called in this morning, operator said that the branch has no more time for appointments. She put me down on the back list should anyone cancel on his appointment.

Not sure why but a credit check will be done apparently. I don't churn cc rewards so I dont care and didn't ask further.
May 20, 2015
34 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
So I guess I got one of the last appointment available ( Dec 4 ). I was there in person at 9:30AM to book it.

Customer service was very good. Confirm it is Live OR work at Surrey. You need to bring some deposit ( 5$ minimum ) to open your account. Hard check as well will be done.
Feb 26, 2009
272 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey, BC
isthisreallife wrote: Called in this morning, operator said that the branch has no more time for appointments. She put me down on the back list should anyone cancel on his appointment.

Not sure why but a credit check will be done apparently. I don't churn cc rewards so I dont care and didn't ask further.
And thanks OP!

On the waiting list. The lady said it started Oct 21st "but had been picking up speed recently" lmao the power of RFD
AKA "canadude" :arrow: Howard Forums
Feb 28, 2011
929 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
Their call centre is really messy!

I called 2 days ago, a lady said she made an appointment on Nov 23. Today I call in to change it if possible, they say they don't have an appointment for me. So I guess the lady just lied to me. The guy says December 14th will be ok.

Then I call later, another one says Dec 14 won't qualify and will cancel my appointment. She says she will send the request to the manager and just hung up. I am sure she didn't even bother. So rude.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2947 posts
1868 upvotes
Langley
isthisreallife wrote: Called in this morning, operator said that the branch has no more time for appointments. She put me down on the back list should anyone cancel on his appointment.

Whenever you open a chequing account a CC is required. I'm not quite sure of the reasoning for that, but all of the banks do this.
Feb 28, 2011
929 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
jellytime wrote: Whenever you open a chequing account a CC is required. I'm not quite sure of the reasoning for that, but all of the banks do this.
I think a lot of banks actually don't do credit checks for the checking account. I opened bank accounts without a problem when I didn't qualify for any credit cards back then. Plus there have been discussions about not giving your SIN number to banks, this is possible with at least some of them, if not with all the big banks. For sure, if you don't say anything they will do it. If you push it they will say something like we were going to give you an overdraft, but if you don't need, that's fine.

Only these credit unions do credit checks for a checking account *facepalm*, they are a bit stupid I find.