• Nov 30th, 2019 9:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA

Wet area on garage pad doesn't dry up?

Hi all
Just moved in last week and we noticed this area of garage doesnt dry up!
No downspouts leaking above or leaks we can find.
Any ideas what it could be?
Images
  • 20191128_084655.jpg
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
Checked the seal.seems good. Maybe plug drain underneth is perculating up?
Jan 14, 2007
668 posts
281 upvotes
GTA North
No expert but I'm guessing you have a drain spout on the other side of that wall which is draining back towards the foundation.

This has been going on a while and you can see by the depression in your interlock which has most likely been caused by erosion from the water draining downwards towards the the street.
Nov 23, 2011
856 posts
986 upvotes
West GTA
IMHIP2 wrote: No expert but I'm guessing you have a drain spout on the other side of that wall which is draining back towards the foundation.

This has been going on a while and you can see by the depression in your interlock which has most likely been caused by erosion from the water draining downwards towards the the street.
Good eye!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
IMHIP2 wrote: No expert but I'm guessing you have a drain spout on the other side of that wall which is draining back towards the foundation.

No drain spout on that wall.
The interlock caving is from cars riding over them for years and not being lifted up and releveled.multiple houses on my street have the same issue. Im gonna lift those all up in the spring and releval.
Nov 30, 2015
453 posts
242 upvotes
GTA, ON
My guess would be water seeping between the wall and floor slab. The ground on the outside of that wall is likely higher than the floor slab. A crack in that concrete wall could cause water to seep under the slab and then seep up through the joint between the wall and the floor. This what happened in my case but I did see water pooling on the outside which eventually made its way in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Need more info. Never dries up? Like never? Even when it hasn’t rained for days ?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Firstly....are you sure it's water? If it is. I'd dry it up with fan and then see where the "water" starts.

What's the slope like in your garage /driveway?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
fdl wrote: Need more info. Never dries up? Like never? Even when it hasn’t rained for days ?
We just moved in last week. Hasnt in a week. Been 24 hrs since it rained here. Same.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Firstly....are you sure it's water? If it is. I'd dry it up with fan and then see where the "water" starts.

What's the slope like in your garage /driveway?
Seems to be water. Not sure what else it could be. I had a fan on it for 4 hrs today. Didnt change.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
lazybummer wrote: My guess would be water seeping between the wall and floor slab. The ground on the outside of that wall is likely higher than the floor slab. A crack in that concrete wall could cause water to seep under the slab and then seep up through the joint between the wall and the floor. This what happened in my case but I did see water pooling on the outside which eventually made its way in.
How did you fix?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
speeeeee wrote: Seems to be water. Not sure what else it could be. I had a fan on it for 4 hrs today. Didnt change.
If it never changes, it could be something spilled there like oil or something and it’s stained ?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
fdl wrote: If it never changes, it could be something spilled there like oil or something and it’s stained ?
That's what i was thinking as well.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Whats on the other side of that garage wall? Is there an eave in that area? Could be hydrostatic pressure.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
There is a eve above but no downspout here..also no sign of water leak from the outside of this area.

Pic attached
Images
  • 20191129_104206.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
speeeeee wrote: There is a eve above but no downspout here..also no sign of water leak from the outside of this area.

Pic attached
Perhaps your eavestrough is leaking? Are you sure the fluid is water and not some oil? Have you been able to dry it up yet?
Last edited by engineered on Nov 29th, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing on the basement wall in the same area? Have you actually touched it to confirm it's water? I'm guessing hydro if it is.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: Perhaps your even is leaking? Are you sure the fluid is water and not some oil? Have you been able to dry it up yet?
Appears to be water. But im going to buy some tsp today and scrub at it and see what happens.
koffey wrote: Nothing on the basement wall in the same area? Have you actually touched it to confirm it's water? I'm guessing hydro if it is.
Cellar wall is perfect. No signs of water. Yes appears to be an no oilley liquid.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
speeeeee wrote: Appears to be water. But im going to buy some tsp today and scrub at it and see what happens.

Cellar wall is perfect. No signs of water. Yes appears to be an no oilley liquid.
I would use an outdoor broom to brush it away, then dry it up with a mop or paper towels, then point a space heater at it to completely dry it, then see what happens.

Is there any plumbing in or near/above that wall? How far is your outdoor water faucet?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: I would use an outdoor broom to brush it away, then dry it up with a mop or paper towels, then point a space heater at it to completely dry it, then see what happens.

Is there any plumbing in or near/above that wall? How far is your outdoor water faucet?
Its more damp than standing water. I put a heater on the section for the past couple hours. We will see.

About 15 feet from the shutoff garage spigot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)