• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 12:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 2, 2017
826 posts
587 upvotes

Wet stinky soil

We recently had a pool installation and I had to dig a trench for the electrical.. lets say from point A to point B, where A has a higher elevation than B. A and B locations are dry, but half way point between the two locations was very wet stinky muddy clay soil (smelled like an outhouse and had standing water in some parts). Internet says smell it's probably caused by anerobic bacteria due to the standing water.

My question is now that I have dug the trench for the electrical can I solve the wet soil issue by adding a drain tube too? My plan is lay the electrical, add 6 inches of soil, put down the drain pipe and put the warning tape on top and then cover the entire thing with top soil. Bad idea?
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4618 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Soil aside, is the trench deep enough for code? Are you running this wire in conduit?

Where would you drain this to? If there is an area of ground water in there, you're not going to get rid of it. Perhaps if you dig a big trench and put a weeping tile system in sloped away from the house/pool and back fill with gravel etc. then excess water has a place to go.

Packing a weeping tile in with top soil is going to render the weeping tile useless.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
As others have said, simply putting in a pipe or weeper that drains no where isn't going to solve you problem. Do you have an outlet where the pipe can actually reach daylight?

Sounds like you have a low point in your yard with no positive drainage. I would probably try to fix the surface grading first. Generally speaking you want a minimum of 2% grade on landscaped areas.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2017
826 posts
587 upvotes
The yard is graded, water on the surface does follow the grade and drains to the sewer systems at point B.

My plan was the bury the pipe and exit it on the surface at B where the sewage system is on the surface, so any water that penetrates soil the middle section doesn't just sit there. And it's all up to code, just following the electricians instructions for dept etc, I was more asking about rules for putting a drain pipe on top of electrical tunnel
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded