Cell Phones

What action can / should Huawei handset owners take?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 3:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2018
16 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver

What action can / should Huawei handset owners take?

I am not interested in discussing politics. Please keep the discussion on topic.

Given the Google / Huawei situation, last night I checked up on Fido's warranty. I also tweeted their @FidoSolutions this morning to see what their official statement was.

They responded saying that this was a US issue only. Absolutely clueless. This morning I noticed the 1 year warranty page had been taken down. It has since been put back up but I have been unable to figure out what changed or why.

When I spoke to a rep via phone they confirmed they had received no official guidance on this but suspected the 1 year warranty would not apply. They also could not tell me anything about why the 1 year warranty info was unavailable for a period.

This is fair enough. I know call center staff can't say anything if they don't have any info. But in contrast to their cluelessness, a mate of mine back home (UK) who has had his handset since Jan 2019 (same time as me) has already been able to swap his out for a Samsung S10 with his carrier. We both paid outright. He paid a £200 charge for the swap. Done. His reasoning is even if this turns out to be a big nothing burger that not have regular security updates is not ok. His carrier accepted this reasoning.

So, what can Canadians do?
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by JessaW57032 on May 20th, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Jan 13, 2017
456 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
JessaW57032 wrote: what do you mean by that, do nothing?
Sell you phone on Kijiji, or you can hold out and hope this will blow over. I own a P20 Pro and am looking to sell as well. I was lucky to get it at a discount so it won't be too bad.

For current phones, you still have access to Google apps and services. Tho I'm not so sure about future updates and security patches. At least you are not locked in a 2 years contract with a Huawei phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1056 posts
227 upvotes
ontario
but whos going to want to pay anything for a huawai phone on the used market not knowing if there will be any security updates etc?

i just ordered a p30 lite on koodo tab but its still in the mail
i think im just gonna return it

why have a tab balance if they can't guarantee future updates for at least 2 years
Jan 20, 2010
404 posts
125 upvotes
toronto
Check google's statement here, it doesn't impact existing owner:

Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2175 posts
1230 upvotes
Calgary
That doesn't refer to actual Android monthly security updates.
Oct 1, 2009
537 posts
234 upvotes
West coast
my phone is several years old and i don't think it had security updates for the longest time.

Heck if people are selling the newer handsets at a big discount, heck i wouldn't care...

my suggestion is to just keep it.
Apr 19, 2009
109 posts
88 upvotes
gamebird wrote: Check google's statement here, it doesn't impact existing owner:
That isn't entirely true. Android Q certainly won't be coming to any of their devices.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3583 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
replying to op's specific issue regarding warranty...unless the phone has some hardware failure that affects its functionality, i think op is out of luck. i doubt "lack of software updates" would constitute a warranty issue.

warranty usually applies if something doesnt function the way it should (as in, wifi or gps stops working etc). i have never heard of a warranty for software as its ever-changing and updating so it's near impossible to enforce it. and plus, even without updates, technically the phone should still "function" the way it should, so good luck complaining about warranties

like the second poster said, cut ur losses. prolly should not have bought it in the first place
Last edited by chroma_cg on May 20th, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
Don't need to do anything. your phone will still get security updates, it won't be as fast that's all. If you sell now, it will probably go very cheap since no one knows what will happen. I have the P30 Pro and will wait it out. Maybe the price will go up later since it will be a rare Huawei phone with google services. who knows. And also phones usually don't break within the 1 yr anyways so i won't worry about that either.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10752 posts
1915 upvotes
From Huawei, if things doesn't work out, you may even get official port to AOSP. I only consider Google Pixel, Google One, Element Android device because other brands rarely trickle down the updates after 1-2 years. Ironically if Huawei switches to AOSP, I may actually add it to my list.

“Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefited both users and the industry.

Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.

We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.”

jordanr19871 wrote: but whos going to want to pay anything for a huawai phone on the used market not knowing if there will be any security updates etc?

i just ordered a p30 lite on koodo tab but its still in the mail
i think im just gonna return it

why have a tab balance if they can't guarantee future updates for at least 2 years
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3583 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
82 wrote: From Huawei, if things doesn't work out, you may even get official port to AOSP. I only consider Google Pixel, Google One, Element Android device because other brands rarely trickle down the updates after 1-2 years. Ironically if Huawei switches to AOSP, I may actually add it to my list.
if the aosp version still have no access to core google services (you can install gapps but google may still block access by other ways such as detecting kirin socs), it's still a dead paperweight

im sure huawei will write their own OS in the end, as supposed to doing AOSP
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6469 posts
1069 upvotes
Don't think there's anything you can do now. I say just keep using the handset until you can upgrade or buy another one. As people said, you won't get update and new version of Android, but the phone can still be used for now.
Apr 19, 2009
109 posts
88 upvotes
Sell it and get a phone that isn't going to constantly be under scrutiny.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1102 posts
293 upvotes
Montréal
I was on the merge of buying a p30 (non pro). Too much questions , i guess I will have to go with the worse battery and the inferior cameras of the S10....
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1102 posts
293 upvotes
Montréal
I have a Lg g5...the battery life is now awful. G8 or s10....?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1104 posts
1172 upvotes
This fearmongering and anxiety is terrible. Just use what you have and enjoy it. There's tons of people out there with 3+ year old phones (stuck on older versions of Android) and doing just fine.