Cell Phones

What actually happens when you get blacklisted by Koodo?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 4:58 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

What actually happens when you get blacklisted by Koodo?

Sorry if this questions already been answered I tried searching the forum but haven't been able to find the answer.

So I am an existing Koodo customer on a grandfathered plan. My current plan is such that I cannot get any decent phones without having to change the plan to one of Koodos current offerings.

In order to keep my plan, I am considering adding a new line to my account and then cancelling it/paying off the balance on the tab right away. I am wondering if this will get me blacklisted and even if it does what are the consequences. Does it mean my Koodo account gets shut down or do I just lose the ability to buy another phone from Koodo?
15 replies
Apr 6, 2009
67 posts
13 upvotes
ontario canada
I've purchased a few phones from them in the past 2 years and cancelled them and payed off the tab and kept the phones and I was never blacklisted.
Feb 6, 2016
516 posts
408 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
is better to ask koodo store rep.
you cant find answer inside hot deals forum section
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1297 posts
1272 upvotes
Surrey
Hot deal to get blacklisted.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3969 posts
1637 upvotes
Quebec
Better ask in proper section.

Electronics - > cell phone
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3211 posts
5368 upvotes
It's basically just a game of chance. Even if you get blacklisted, nothing happens to your existing line. You just wont be able to add new lines or upgrade anymore
Public Mobile customer
Jul 21, 2016
977 posts
2126 upvotes
I still rock my unlimited data plan with Videotron. Simply sneezing make me lose the plan. Can't even get on LTE, i'm stuck on 3g/4g lol.
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10300 posts
6652 upvotes
immsk wrote: Sorry if this questions already been answered I tried searching the forum but haven't been able to find the answer.

So I am an existing Koodo customer on a grandfathered plan. My current plan is such that I cannot get any decent phones without having to change the plan to one of Koodos current offerings.

In order to keep my plan, I am considering adding a new line to my account and then cancelling it/paying off the balance on the tab right away. I am wondering if this will get me blacklisted and even if it does what are the consequences. Does it mean my Koodo account gets shut down or do I just lose the ability to buy another phone from Koodo?
Might need to work on your website navigational skill.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19455 posts
8936 upvotes
Oakville
Simple: if you're "blacklisted", it just means that you can no longer get phones on tab from Koodo. Nothing happens to your existing line, and since that line is ineligible for upgrades any way, no real big loss. :P

Having said that - I've seen exactly one person report that they were blacklisted due to doing a single churn, and I'm still not convinced that that person was actually blacklisted. Every other instance of somebody being blacklisted has been like "I bought 6 phones across two different lines over the last 5 months" type of situations.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1243 posts
1205 upvotes
Do we have any first accounts of someone being blacklisted?
This forum clearly has koodo employees spreading BS so it's worth questioning the initial claim.
To me it seems to be all hearsay.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3586 posts
816 upvotes
Just open a new account and buy the phone there and pay it off. No reason to get blacklisted.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19455 posts
8936 upvotes
Oakville
lleb13 wrote: Do we have any first accounts of someone being blacklisted?
This forum clearly has koodo employees spreading BS so it's worth questioning the initial claim.
To me it seems to be all hearsay.
There's a 14 page thread of people talking about it: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ch ... ad-2257860 (every time a new person starts a new thread about getting blacklisted, they get pushed into that thread).
EEE2 wrote: Just open a new account and buy the phone there and pay it off. No reason to get blacklisted.
If they let you open a new account (sometimes they balk at doing so, in store, when you've already got an account - they will just want to add a line to your existing account), it's worth noting that that will also incur a (small) credit hit. Adding a new line to an existing account does not.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1243 posts
1205 upvotes
wearysky wrote: There's a 14 page thread of people talking about it: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ch ... ad-2257860 (every time a new person starts a new thread about getting blacklisted, they get pushed into that thread).
Interesting, I skimmed through and it looks like most people being banned are:
- Blacklisted from buying multiple phones in a short period of time.
- Aren't being blacklisted by koodo but rather by the retail store.

I do the the whole buy/cancel once every 2-3 years. I doubt anyone doing that will be impacted.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19455 posts
8936 upvotes
Oakville
lleb13 wrote: - Aren't being blacklisted by koodo but rather by the retail store.
I dunno who is doing the blacklisting specifically, but it's happening at the account level, there's multiple people reporting that when they login to self serve, there are no phones available for purchase. If they logout, the phones are listed again.

But yeah, like I said - seems to be only affecting people trying to use Koodo as a discount phone supplier for their own small reselling businesses. For the average consumer buying a new phone once every year or two, I don't think it's gonna be an issue.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19870 posts
7989 upvotes
Toronto
OP, what is your grandfathered plan? Was it tab eligible before? Perhaps you should study this thread and take action against the Koodo oppression.

koodo-40-6gb-not-eligible-tab-anymore-2273820/
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii