Parenting & Family

What age did u change car seat from rear facing to forward facing?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2018 12:25 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
859 posts
905 upvotes

What age did u change car seat from rear facing to forward facing?

Experts say to keep your child in rear facing car seat for as long as possible.
At what age did you put them forward facing? Also what was their weight & height when this change was made...
???
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
2.5 years old. We switched because we were adding another car seat to the vehicle and wanted to give them a change as well (facing forward) to help ease the transition.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8436 posts
1223 upvotes
On our sedan and suv we swapped around 3. They are both shorter and lighter than average so limits weren't an issue. They're use to being bored in the car so rear facing wasn't a huge issue.

In our coupe we flipped them at 1 because the car is too small for rear facing really and putting them forward facing makes it much easier to buckle them in.

They don't complain about which orientation they're in. I hear this is ymmv as we've been told most kids once swapped won't go back to rear facing.
Jun 2, 2012
318 posts
300 upvotes
NORTH YORK
We are still rear facing close to 4.
A seat that sits higher and allows them to look out the window helps. We have a foonf and they have a great view out the windows/ their upper body is at/above window level.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7552 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
Mine is almost 4.5 and still rear facing. She is only about 35 lbs and 38 inches. I bought the Diono Ranier specifically because of the high rear facing limits and planned to rear face her as long as possible. Fortunately there are no complaints from my daughter, but she has never had an alternative so it is what she is used to.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34548 posts
20593 upvotes
Center of Universe
I just recently switched my kid to a booster seat (40lbs now +/- a few pounds), as my vehicle has both curtain side airbags and inflatable seatbelts.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
859 posts
905 upvotes
My son just turned 2 and almost 30lbs but he has long legs.
I’m wondering if he is uncomfortable because he can’t really stretch his legs while rear facing, although he hasn’t really shown signs of discomfort.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8436 posts
1223 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: My son just turned 2 and almost 30lbs but he has long legs.
I’m wondering if he is uncomfortable because he can’t really stretch his legs while rear facing, although he hasn’t really shown signs of discomfort.
Kids are super flexible. I wouldn't worry about it.
Apr 10, 2011
782 posts
622 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: My son just turned 2 and almost 30lbs but he has long legs.
"Broken leg, cast it. Broken neck, casket."

Always safer to have your child rear-facing. It may look uncomfortable to you, but as Stock R said, kids are really flexible.
Jan 26, 2014
70 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
My son is 4.5 years old 40lbs and still rear facing but I get complaints from his grandma about forward facing him. Broken legs can be fixed more easily than broken necks. I plan to max out the rear facing limits and my son has no complaints about being uncomfortable. Rear facing has a nice backward slant so it’s more comfortable for the back and neck.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8436 posts
1223 upvotes
ghotie wrote: My son is 4.5 years old 40lbs and still rear facing but I get complaints from his grandma about forward facing him. Broken legs can be fixed more easily than broken necks. I plan to max out the rear facing limits and my son has no complaints about being uncomfortable. Rear facing has a nice backward slant so it’s more comfortable for the back and neck.
Grandma does the same thing for us. Keeps nagging about our car seats. We ask her for her justification and it's "looks uncomfortable". How about safety over comfort? Also, who says it's uncomfortable?

I sent her YouTube crash test videos of front vs rear. Seeing the toddlers snap their necks via high force impact in slow motion finally got her to back off.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34548 posts
20593 upvotes
Center of Universe
^^^Not trolling here, but what are your safeguards for riding the school bus and or other mode of transportation?
My kid takes the school bus in the morning and is picked up via private shuttle to an afterschool program, in which the school bus has no seatbelts and the private shuttle only provides booster seats!
Mar 15, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: ^^^Not trolling here, but what are your safeguards for riding the school bus and or other mode of transportation?
My kid takes the school bus in the morning and is picked up via private shuttle to an afterschool program, in which the school bus has no seatbelts and the private shuttle only provides booster seats!
I always wondered about that as well. Why would a school bus, which carries some of the must vulnerable passengers, not have any sort of seat belts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34548 posts
20593 upvotes
Center of Universe
Betty80 wrote: I always wondered about that as well. Why would a school bus, which carries some of the must vulnerable passengers, not have any sort of seat belts.
It's just funny reading all the concerns about keeping the kids rear facing, but no worries when they ride the school bus.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7552 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
Here's a good article about school bus design and why they don't require seat belts. It also talks about how if seatbelts are required on school buses, the seat design will need to change making it less safe if a child does not buckle up:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglob ... e23175936/

For me personally I bought a car seat with high rear facing limits to rear face my daughter as long as possible specifically because of the data that shows that is safer. In my case my daughter won't be taking the school bus, however even if she did I'd still have her rear facing with me.

There are minimum limits set and it is fine to forward face once those limits are reached. Just as it is fine to rear face if the seat can accommodate it. It's a personal parenting decision that will vary from family to family.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)