Parenting & Family

At what age should you stop hugging/holding your child?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 11:32 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2011
930 posts
870 upvotes
Toronto

At what age should you stop hugging/holding your child?

My son just turned 1, and I just love holding/hugging him. I could do it for hours if he lets me (he prefers his mama) - it is probably one of the best feeling in the world for me right now.. I love to squeeze him in my arm...

So at what age should I stop holding him for no reason? Before it get weird/awkward? I can't recall the last time my dad held me other than a goodbye hug at the airport etc..
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34418 posts
20454 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lol, that depends on you and your child.
My grandma (in her eighties), still hugs and kisses me when I visit her and I'm a grown ass man.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1787 posts
1118 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
tonershop wrote: My son just turned 1, and I just love holding/hugging him. I could do it for hours if he lets me (he prefers his mama) - it is probably one of the best feeling in the world for me right now.. I love to squeeze him in my arm...

So at what age should I stop holding him for no reason? Before it get weird/awkward? I can't recall the last time my dad held me other than a goodbye hug at the airport etc..
Never stop completely. However, as they get older they will not want to do it with there friend around. There will also be times where they don't want a hug, which they will tell you and should always be respected. I still give my kids hugs at 10 & 13 and they tell me when it's enough.

It only becomes awkward when you don't do it for a while.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9266 posts
10803 upvotes
Vancouver
tonershop wrote: My son just turned 1, and I just love holding/hugging him. I could do it for hours if he lets me (he prefers his mama) - it is probably one of the best feeling in the world for me right now.. I love to squeeze him in my arm...

When either or both of you don't enjoy it anymore, stop. So long as you both enjoy it, by all means keep it up.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13544 posts
8503 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 12, 2009
789 posts
343 upvotes
I will stop hugging them when I am dead. My stinky, sarcastic teenager gave me a hug in front of her whole team this weekend for no reason and it was lovely.
Apr 19, 2017
899 posts
722 upvotes
Hugging - Never
Holding - When he is too heavy.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2011
930 posts
870 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: Never stop completely. However, as they get older they will not want to do it with there friend around. There will also be times where they don't want a hug, which they will tell you and should always be respected. I still give my kids hugs at 10 & 13 and they tell me when it's enough.

I suppose you are right, I guess I will know when the time comes.. Probably when he is embarrassed to be seen with his old man LOL
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2047 posts
547 upvotes
Woodbridge
Canadian problem lol. Can't hug or kiss another man or you'll be seen as gay.
I'm 38 and my dad still kisses me in the cheek. In our culture hugging, kissing in the cheeks between men is normal.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3537 posts
664 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Never stop completely. However, as they get older they will not want to do it with there friend around. There will also be times where they don't want a hug, which they will tell you and should always be respected. I still give my kids hugs at 10 & 13 and they tell me when it's enough.

Don't stop. And always remind them to wear a hat out because it's cold! lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1890 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
+1
poorwingman wrote: Don't stop. And always remind them to wear a hat out because it's cold! lol.
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Jul 18, 2012
72 posts
35 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Stop? I'll never stop hugging my kids. I hugged my dad until the day he died.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3329 posts
1418 upvotes
Canada
I'm 40 and I still hug my parents.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24617 posts
1786 upvotes
Markham, ON
my son is 60 pounds...still can carry him but not for very long....

hug? havent stopped yet lol