Parenting & Family

At what age would you let your child have an email address?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2013 3:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2009
237 posts
72 upvotes
Victoria

At what age would you let your child have an email address?

I am the mother of a 6.5 year old boy. I was discussing spelling tests and homework with my BFF whose daughter is also in Grade 1 and just turned 7. She was telling me how well her daughter was doing with reading and writing and that she's even emailing and texting her now! She said it was weird at first being at work and getting an email from her daughter but how she looks forward to them now. I was baffled and asked her where she emails her from and she says from the ipad mini they bought her. Apparently the daughter has her own email address. I asked if she was concerned that maybe she's a little young for that and asked what I meant. I said in terms of just getting into that whole online world of texting/surfing/emailing at such an early age and she said no, she thinks it's good she's practicing her writing. She also emails and messages her bestfriend from school, so apparently this is not as shocking to everyone. I am not "anti-technology" as we own multiple computers/tablets, my husband is an IT analyst, I'm also very proficient with computers, but it never even occurred to me that my son should be emailing or texting! Am I "behind the times"?? At what age would or did you let your child have their own email address?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2013
1836 posts
94 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Just make sure you safety rules for your kid to follow as well as access to the inbox and it should be fine.
Mar 12, 2013
82 posts
12 upvotes
6 seems a little young to have an email address and your own ipad. I'm not shocked that it happens but I think I personally would wait a few more years. I suppose it all depends on the parents comfort level with having your child using the net unsupervised.
Oct 20, 2010
364 posts
42 upvotes
Durham Region
I got one when I was 6 but didn't really start using it until I was around 8-9.
May 12, 2003
670 posts
37 upvotes
My daughter has one, she is just turning 6. She doesn't use the computer unsupervised though, she uses it mainly to email relatives overseas.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
998 upvotes
N/A
i made a gmail account for her my girl the week she was born, to 'reserve' the account name.
i don't want her to end up with 'bootyjane69@gmail.com' or something for job interviews later in life.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
May 14, 2010
565 posts
85 upvotes
Mississauga
Ours had them around 6. We found it a great way to practice writing an such. But we were in control of the password up until they were teens. they used to like msn-ing with their friends from school but it was always supervised by us.

We also found pen-pals to be a good way for our kids to practice writing and they loved getting mail from others. We have friends with similar age kids an asked if they wanted to start a pen pal relationship with our kids... it worked for a few years
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3033 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ippon wrote: i made a gmail account for her my girl the week she was born, to 'reserve' the account name.
i don't want her to end up with 'bootyjane69@gmail.com' or something for job interviews later in life.
lol that sounds silly but honestly it's actually quite smart.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
998 upvotes
N/A
Chrispy wrote: lol that sounds silly but honestly it's actually quite smart.
i thought i was just being practical.
she now has her full name with gmail.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8593 posts
3981 upvotes
Markham
ippon wrote: i thought i was just being practical.
she now has her full name with gmail.
same here. Sometimes, I used my son's gmail to write an email to his mom
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4400 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
I got my daughter's email address after she was born as well. I've been sending her emails every so often so she could read them like a diary when she grows up.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1941 posts
446 upvotes
Calgary
ippon wrote: i made a gmail account for her my girl the week she was born, to 'reserve' the account name.
Way ahead of you, I named my son CanehdianmanJr.34599123 to make sure he could always get his proper name for email.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
998 upvotes
N/A
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: I got my daughter's email address after she was born as well. I've been sending her emails every so often so she could read them like a diary when she grows up.
i did that a few times as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8022 posts
298 upvotes
glad i'm not the only "crazy" person..haha
i have it opened, but haven't told her about it....timing isn't right for us..
unfortunately it soon will be as she's turning 8 soon.

it's all about parameters, rules, supervision/monitoring and comfort level...for all parties involved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)