Travel

what are Air Canada employee travel benefits for family.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2015 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal

what are Air Canada employee travel benefits for family.

My son just got hired by Air Canada and I was wondering what kind of travel benefits my wife and I can get. We're panning a 3-4 european vacation for 2015 and we're hoping we can save a few bucks as result.We're not sure about discount percentages that imediate family members can benefit from.

On a side note, we could not believe how stringent and demanding the hiring process at AC is. Personal interview, drug test, several tests online and in person with a passing grade of 80 %. Fail a test and forget about getting the job.

My son told me that during one written exam, a guy was covering his papers so no one can copy off of him and he ended up failing the test and denied the job.

Do you know any one who works at Air Canada and what kind of benefits, specifically travel benefits they are entitled to?

Thanks!
35 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
2054 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redflag5050 wrote: My son just got hired by Air Canada and I was wondering what kind of travel benefits my wife and I can get. We're panning a 3-4 european vacation for 2015 and we're hoping we can save a few bucks as result.We're not sure about discount percentages that imediate family members can benefit from.

On a side note, we could not believe how stringent and demanding the hiring process at AC is. Personal interview, drug test, several tests online and in person with a passing grade of 80 %. Fail a test and forget about getting the job.

My son told me that during one written exam, a guy was covering his papers so no one can copy off of him and he ended up failing the test and denied the job.

Do you know any one who works at Air Canada and what kind of benefits, specifically travel benefits they are entitled to?

Thanks!
From what I've been told they do get free passes for the family (possibly standby tickets, and there is a limit on it). However, I believe they have to be full time and work for a period of time before those benefits kick in. Hopefully someone here has been working with Air Canada for longer and can verify what I've told you as it is only what I have been told by a friend.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
AFG786 wrote: From what I've been told they do get free passes for the family (possibly standby tickets, and there is a limit on it). However, I believe they have to be full time and work for a period of time before those benefits kick in. Hopefully someone here has been working with Air Canada for longer and can verify what I've told you as it is only what I have been told by a friend.
Yes they and their immediate family members can qualify after being on the job for 6 months. What we don't know is the amount of the discount and how the system works.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1110 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Not all family members of the employee get travel benefit. Only the spouse, children and employee's parents. Parents don't travel for free. They get stand-by passes and pay a service charge + taxes. Benefits kick in after 6 months of employment.
Feb 26, 2009
225 posts
19 upvotes
OP, you already know someone that works there...why don't you ask your son?

Note that any travel benefits are always on a stand-by basis.
From experience, unless your schedule allows you a degree of flexibility (i.e. leaving 2 days in advance to make sure you're somewhere you need to be or it not mattering if you arrive two days later), or if you have control issues - you're sometimes much better off buying a ticket for a confirmed seat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
deruo wrote: OP, you already know someone that works there...why don't you ask your son?
My son is 20 years old, his first real job in the real world besides the other "fun" part time jobs teen agers do. He's studying, doing exams and tests. He has enough to worry about for a job that starts at $ 11.35 an hour. I thought I would ask on RFD as I'm sure many here would share their knowledge so that I and others can benefit.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4966 posts
560 upvotes
Victoria
True that it's standby but employees have access to flight load information so if you watch flights you get a sense of what days are best for travel. I know some AC employees that make very good use of their benefits. There are very few places that they haven't traveled to.
Not a political sig
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
redflag5050 wrote: My son is 20 years old, his first real job in the real world besides the other "fun" part time jobs teen agers do. He's studying, doing exams and tests. He has enough to worry about for a job that starts at $ 11.35 an hour. I thought I would ask on RFD as I'm sure many here would share their knowledge so that I and others can benefit.
It wouldn't even take 30 seconds for him to explain to you
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4219 posts
471 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I'm the son of an AC employee. You get a certain number of passes you're allowed to use per year (I think its 10 segments) as family members. If you travel with him you get higher priority and also unlimited passes. These are stand by passes and lower priority than staff members. You pay taxes and fees. It is economy stand by upgradable to business if the back is full. He will have access to all load information which will help you plan your trip. Europe in the summer is a nono if you're standby with low priority (which is what you will have). You might get there, but have fun getting out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
Typhoonz wrote: I'm the son of an AC employee. You get a certain number of passes you're allowed to use per year (I think its 10 segments) as family members. If you travel with him you get higher priority and also unlimited passes. These are stand by passes and lower priority than staff members. You pay taxes and fees. It is economy stand by upgradable to business if the back is full. He will have access to all load information which will help you plan your trip. Europe in the summer is a nono if you're standby with low priority (which is what you will have). You might get there, but have fun getting out.
Thank you for your informative reply. This is the reason why I posted here. I searched the net but whatever I found was a few years old. Ours will be a 3-4 months trip to Europe in 2015 and we hope to start in Athens and finish in Paris. By the time we are ready, we will have the knowledge to figure out how to plan ahead. No harm in starting to ask questions now. Our son does not know anything yet about benefits but he, and us, will know eventually.

Thanks again!
Jan 22, 2011
479 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
redflag5050 wrote: Thank you for your informative reply. This is the reason why I posted here. I searched the net but whatever I found was a few years old. Ours will be a 3-4 months trip to Europe in 2015 and we hope to start in Athens and finish in Paris. By the time we are ready, we will have the knowledge to figure out how to plan ahead. No harm in starting to ask questions now. Our son does not know anything yet about benefits but he, and us, will know eventually.

Thanks again!
yup, that you will. Will give you a few hints though, summer vacation on a standby ticket starts in September, look at the week before the prices drop for the shoulder season. The flights usually go out with seats empty. Also plan on seeing JFK airport at somepoint in your future, it's a great back up ticket as everyone flies there, and speaking of back up tickets, ALWAYS HAVE BACK UP TICKETS. Standby tickets are fully refundable, they can be used in any order, so there's no reason not to have back up tickets for your return trip home via different airports, JFK, Wasington, Boston, Montreal, and Chicago should be purchased, and refund the ones that you don't need (many airlines allow unlimited id90 and ZED fares for parents of staff, they are a bit more pricy, but still way cheaper than confirmed)
Jan 22, 2011
479 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
also don't count on getting to Athens on a standby ticket, those flights are usually insanely full during the warmer months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
speedbird92 wrote: also don't count on getting to Athens on a standby ticket, those flights are usually insanely full during the warmer months.
We thought that would be the case. We can also start and finish in Paris and easyjet the rest of our destinations.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4219 posts
471 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
redflag5050 wrote: We thought that would be the case. We can also start and finish in Paris and easyjet the rest of our destinations.
Frankfurt is another place to look at flying in and out of if you're on a pass. Was there the other week with no issues. Lots of AC flights in and out of there.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12535 posts
2837 upvotes
Mississauga
Do employees get to fly for free with other Star Alliance airlines or just Air Canada? And how do codeshares work i.e. you want to fly on an AC flight but it's actually on Lufthansa metal?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
179 upvotes
North York
Off-topic but what job did your son get? I'm guessing that since he's 20 and starting at $11 an hour he's either a station attendant (baggage handler) or customer service person (at the airport). Keep in mind as well that your son's job benefits most likely won't kick in till he's been with the company for at least 6 months.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
87 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Do employees get to fly for free with other Star Alliance airlines or just Air Canada? And how do codeshares work i.e. you want to fly on an AC flight but it's actually on Lufthansa metal?
It used to be code share and other star alliance, my ex gf was flight attendant and last summer we did Abu dabi/Dubai on ethihad from Toronto.

I assume nothing changed since last summer.
Aug 11, 2004
385 posts
64 upvotes
There is an acfamily.net forum , but you will have limited access as a non employee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1035 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
JAGpilot wrote: Off-topic but what job did your son get? I'm guessing that since he's 20 and starting at $11 an hour he's either a station attendant (baggage handler) or customer service person (at the airport). Keep in mind as well that your son's job benefits most likely won't kick in till he's been with the company for at least 6 months.
He is indeed doingnthenstation attendant job. Really puzzled and amazed at what it takes to get this job. Several Online exams, one written exam and if you fail, you have to apply again and start the whole process from scratch. My son's final exam, involved 12 applicants. 3 worked at the airport and familiar with exam and 9 including my son who were new. Of the 12 who wrote the exam, only 7 passed. The 3 airport employees and 4 new,my son included.

My son was told not to worry about the low salary because things will only get better as opportunities are there for advancment. Air Canada hires from within. A union rep told him that they are trying to remedy the low pay scale ($11.35 p/h) and there is a chance of $18 an hour because the job of station attendant involves various tasks. He is aware that there is a 6 months probation period.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5932 posts
2589 upvotes
Winnipeg
Top rate for part timer is 16.60. April 1/2015
Full time 25.62

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)