Computers & Electronics

What am I looking for in a new monitor?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 5:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes

What am I looking for in a new monitor?

So many monitors these days... I'm thinking something 27-29"

Is it worth buying a 4K monitor yet? Or am I okay with 2560x1080?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1273 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
Good question.

It all depends on your needs.


What kind of graphics hardware do you have? Many people like the widescreen variants for monitors as you just posted. It all depends what youre doing with it.
Member
Jun 8, 2015
281 posts
49 upvotes
funkland
At 27" 1080p sucks. Hope this answers your question.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28886 posts
9384 upvotes
If you're planning on gaming, keep in mind the higher the resolution you go, the more expensive the GPU you're going to need to game at that res. 4K gaming still "isn't there yet" in that it'll cost you $1000 to get a card that you basically need for 4K and just one of those still isn't enough to play with things high/maxed out and see 60 FPS in a lot of current games.

But if that price for a GPU doesn't bother you, then nothing to worry about. Or of course if you're not going to be gaming, that's fine too--you didn't state what exactly your uses were going to be.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: If you're planning on gaming, keep in mind the higher the resolution you go, the more expensive the GPU you're going to need to game at that res. 4K gaming still "isn't there yet" in that it'll cost you $1000 to get a card that you basically need for 4K and just one of those still isn't enough to play with things high/maxed out and see 60 FPS in a lot of current games.

But if that price for a GPU doesn't bother you, then nothing to worry about. Or of course if you're not going to be gaming, that's fine too--you didn't state what exactly your uses were going to be.
Sorry, I use it mostly for browsing and Netflix. However, I do play games from time to time like Witcher 3. I'm looking at building a gaming rig in the next few months, but certainly not with a $1000 card. I'm looking at about $1800-$2000 all-in for the new desktop and looking at spending about $500 on a monitor. The 34" ultra wide monitors look awesome but is a little out of my price range.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28886 posts
9384 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Sorry, I use it mostly for browsing and Netflix. However, I do play games from time to time like Witcher 3. I'm looking at building a gaming rig in the next few months, but certainly not with a $1000 card. I'm looking at about $1800-$2000 all-in for the new desktop and looking at spending about $500 on a monitor. The 34" ultra wide monitors look awesome but is a little out of my price range.
Well without something like a $1k GPU, your gaming experience (esp. with a game like TW3) is going to be poor. That's the problem with high-res monitors and gaming. Yeah the monitor is great but to game at native res, the GPU power required is insane. You could game at lower res but running LCD monitors at non-native res typically looks poor--up to you whether you want to live with that or not. I'm guessing with Witcher 3 you might be able to do 4K on something like an RX480 OC'd and with reduced settings and no AA, no SSAO, and definitely HairWorks off...and get 30-45FPS...

If you look here, even at Medium settings a 290X can't even get 30FPS at 4K (an RX480 will basically be somewhere near the 290X's performance, perhaps even reaching GTX 980 levels).

You could also try two RX480s in CF but we're talking $700 in that case; a GTX 1070 might be okay but that's also $600...and that's all still a compromise. Heck even the 1080 is somewhat of a compromise at 4K but it's still the best [single] GPU you're going to get for 4K gaming at the moment.

If you're gonna buy a high res monitor and want to game be prepared, as they say, to pay to play.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Well without something like a $1k GPU, your gaming experience (esp. with a game like TW3) is going to be poor. That's the problem with high-res monitors and gaming. Yeah the monitor is great but to game at native res, the GPU power required is insane. You could game at lower res but running LCD monitors at non-native res typically looks poor--up to you whether you want to live with that or not. I'm guessing with Witcher 3 you might be able to do 4K on something like an RX480 OC'd and with reduced settings and no AA, no SSAO, and definitely HairWorks off...and get 30-45FPS...

If you look here, even at Medium settings a 290X can't even get 30FPS at 4K (an RX480 will basically be somewhere near the 290X's performance, perhaps even reaching GTX 980 levels).

You could also try two RX480s in CF but we're talking $700 in that case; a GTX 1070 might be okay but that's also $600...and that's all still a compromise. Heck even the 1080 is somewhat of a compromise at 4K but it's still the best [single] GPU you're going to get for 4K gaming at the moment.

If you're gonna buy a high res monitor and want to game be prepared, as they say, to pay to play.
Okay. What do you think about these monitors? I'm looking at getting a single RX480 most likely. Also, is there one that goes on sale regularly that would be worth waiting for?

http://www.costco.ca/Philips---28-in.-4 ... 61994.html
http://www.costco.ca/Acer-XG270HU-27-in ... 79846.html
http://www.costco.ca/Acer-B286HK-28-in- ... 62337.html
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28886 posts
9384 upvotes
TBH I'm not the greatest authority on PC monitors. There's so many different makes, models, and panel types that I don't really keep track. What I do know is 4K gaming is not for the faint of wallets, which is mainly what I was trying to let you know.

Might want to wait for some other ppl to chime in on what monitors are best for your use and your price range, which from the looks of it is $500-600?

You might also want to look for something that supports FreeSync as that will make gaming a bit better, especially when you don't have any chance of constant high framerates.

Top