Credit Cards

What American credit card companies will accept Canadians?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 10:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta

What American credit card companies will accept Canadians?

And by American credit card, I mean an actual US domiciled, US dollar card. Not a Canadian, USD card.

So far I know of three:

- Amex, but the people I want to pay regularly don't take Amex

- TD, but only if you have a residential US address (I don't)

- RBC, but they are hostile to business users.

My card will probably need to be personal - nobody offers Canadians US business credit cards. I know RBC is hostile to that, so they are a non-starter.

Appreciate any advice!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1733 posts
707 upvotes
scouzer wrote: And by American credit card, I mean an actual US domiciled, US dollar card. Not a Canadian, USD card.

So far I know of three:

- Amex, but the people I want to pay regularly don't take Amex

- TD, but only if you have a residential US address (I don't)

- RBC, but they are hostile to business users.

My card will probably need to be personal - nobody offers Canadians US business credit cards. I know RBC is hostile to that, so they are a non-starter.

Appreciate any advice!
As a Canadian, it is almost impossible to get a US credit card that US retailers will honor for online purchase. Even if you did manage to get one, you could only shop in person as the retailers are able to verify your identity. With online purchases, good luck!

What do you need it for? If you are only trying to avoid 2.5% conversion fee, as far as I know Amozon VISA card which is issued by CHASE, doesn't charge the conversion fee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta
ruchir wrote: As a Canadian, it is almost impossible to get a US credit card that US retailers will honor for online purchase. Even if you did manage to get one, you could only shop in person as the retailers are able to verify your identity. With online purchases, good luck!

What do you need it for? If you are only trying to avoid 2.5% conversion fee, as far as I know Amozon VISA card which is issued by CHASE, doesn't charge the conversion fee.
It'd be for purchases with distributors. My transactions are mostly in USD, and my income is in USD, so an actual American card would be really handy.

I have an American debit card which works, but the greed in me wants to collect points ;)
Dec 12, 2016
371 posts
327 upvotes
scouzer wrote: It'd be for purchases with distributors. My transactions are mostly in USD, and my income is in USD, so an actual American card would be really handy.

I have an American debit card which works, but the greed in me wants to collect points ;)
I remember Nordstrom offering their visa credit cards to Canadians, even Target but you had to apply in store. I know you're not looking for a Canadian USD card, but in the event you are, you should consider Meridians, you get cash back. Annual fee is usd 65
Aug 27, 2013
569 posts
287 upvotes
cloud
You can check with HSBC Canada. A few years ago I was able to open a HSBC USA bank account and then a HSBC USA MasterCard through HSBC Canada without setting foot in the US. But I've heard that the USA account opening procedure has since been tightened up, after their money laundering violation settlement with the US Government.

Even though I've real USA accounts, my billing address is still my Canadian home address, and some online retailers have trouble with ZIP code validation. I usually get over those by using PayPal (linked to my USA MasterCard).
Sep 21, 2016
89 posts
31 upvotes
scouzer wrote: It'd be for purchases with distributors. My transactions are mostly in USD, and my income is in USD, so an actual American card would be really handy.

Is there no way you could at least secure a US address to have on file for whichever card you were to apply for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta
yangj08 wrote: Is there no way you could at least secure a US address to have on file for whichever card you were to apply for?
It'd have to be a residential address, so I'd need to rent an apartment or something. Doesn't seem too doable unfortunately!
iamthebest wrote: There is a small thread about your question us-bank-account-credit-card-canadians-943374/
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
ruchir wrote: As a Canadian, it is almost impossible to get a US credit card that US retailers will honor for online purchase. Even if you did manage to get one, you could only shop in person as the retailers are able to verify your identity. With online purchases, good luck!

It's not anywhere near impossible. It's easy in fact see "small" thread below dedicated to this that's actually quite a HUGE thread :)
iamthebest wrote: There is a small thread about your question us-bank-account-credit-card-canadians-943374/
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta
I tried calling Amex today, spoke to 4 different reps about opening a US Business Amex.

All said nope, no way no how. The two key requirements I can't meet:

- Proof that the business is based and headquartered in the US

- Proof of residential address

All advised that Global Transfer would be denied as well for the above reasons.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
scouzer wrote: I tried calling Amex today, spoke to 4 different reps about opening a US Business Amex.

All said nope, no way no how. The two key requirements I can't meet:

- Proof that the business is based and headquartered in the US

- Proof of residential address

All advised that Global Transfer would be denied as well for the above reasons.
Did you talk to anyone on the Global Transfer team? Are you saying they would deny GT for business? For personal it's pretty easy. You do need to provide a US address but they don't verify you own it or lease it - changing your US bank account 'home' address and letting them confirm its the same is sufficient.

Dunno about business requirement though.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta
ace604 wrote: Did you talk to anyone on the Global Transfer team? Are you saying they would deny GT for business? For personal it's pretty easy. You do need to provide a US address but they don't verify you own it or lease it - changing your US bank account 'home' address and letting them confirm its the same is sufficient.

All 4 reps denied letting me through to Global Transfer for one reason or another
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1375 posts
1303 upvotes
Montreal
ace604 wrote: Did you talk to anyone on the Global Transfer team? Are you saying they would deny GT for business? For personal it's pretty easy. You do need to provide a US address but they don't verify you own it or lease it - changing your US bank account 'home' address and letting them confirm its the same is sufficient.

What do they ask you during the telephone application except the address ?
Do you just give out your current Canadian employer information and salary, and say you are about to move soon, and no job or nothing yet but just a place to live for now ?
No question about immigration status or whatever ? LOL

Sorry just wanna make sure I am ready before calling up HAHA

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
ben85deals wrote: What do they ask you during the telephone application except the address ?
Do you just give out your current Canadian employer information and salary, and say you are about to move soon, and no job or nothing yet but just a place to live for now ?
No question about immigration status or whatever ? LOL

Sorry just wanna make sure I am ready before calling up HAHA

They never asked me on the phone about employment info, moving, immigration, etc.
On the online application I put the name of my employer and my salary info in lower USD equivalent.
I was told during one early call with GT that they were going to conference call with the bank (BofA) to verify address, but before I called back to do that I found a link in one of the emails that allowed me to upload a bank statement PDF, so I just did that.

Then when I called back I just gave them the address. The address during my app was a mailing place address so that hung up the application (they require for regulatory purposes a residential address. They didn't say it had to be one that I owned or lived in :D)

There was some time in between calls because I needed to change my address online at BofA to match the new relative's address I was using as the secondary non-mailing residential address for Amex for them to 'confirm'.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1375 posts
1303 upvotes
Montreal
ace604 wrote: They never asked me on the phone about employment info, moving, immigration, etc.
On the online application I put the name of my employer and my salary info in lower USD equivalent.
I was told during one early call with GT that they were going to conference call with the bank (BofA) to verify address, but before I called back to do that I found a link in one of the emails that allowed me to upload a bank statement PDF, so I just did that.

Then when I called back I just gave them the address. The address during my app was a mailing place address so that hung up the application (they require for regulatory purposes a residential address. They didn't say it had to be one that I owned or lived in :D)

There was some time in between calls because I needed to change my address online at BofA to match the new relative's address I was using as the secondary non-mailing residential address for Amex for them to 'confirm'.
Oh thanks a lot for all infos :)
I'm gonna give it a try and use my friend's address in NYC, but first I need to update that on TD side...
+ I need to get to NYC to get the card from what I understood here, as they only do Fedex or UPS deliveries...

not a so easy process, but worth the try :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6205 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
Global transfer is the way to go, recently did it as well... hoping for the Sapphire card in 6 month!
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
ben85deals wrote: Oh thanks a lot for all infos :)
I'm gonna give it a try and use my friend's address in NYC, but first I need to update that on TD side...
+ I need to get to NYC to get the card from what I understood here, as they only do Fedex or UPS deliveries...

not a so easy process, but worth the try :)
No, I applied for the card online initially with my mail receiving place 15 minutes away just across the border. No mail ever went to the relative's house 3 states away.
My mailing and billing address is my mail receiving place address. The other address is just listed on my account as a "secondary" address.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1375 posts
1303 upvotes
Montreal
ace604 wrote: No, I applied for the card online initially with my mail receiving place 15 minutes away just across the border. No mail ever went to the relative's house 3 states away.
My mailing and billing address is my mail receiving place address. The other address is just listed on my account as a "secondary" address.
Thanks again for all the clarifications, didn't know delivery companies were accepting that kind of mail receiving places :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5450 posts
3985 upvotes
Ace, so you had the Canadian Amex then call to do GT, or applying for the American Amex directly online ? Is there a list of steps that we can follow? Very confused here.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
💳 Credit card combo (2-7.5% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC + MBNA