• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 7:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes

What animal is making these holes

It started in late any early June found some holes by the front of my house right up against the block foundation about 8-10 inches in diameter. Very deep multiple feet. I filled with old wood and covered with rocks. And no issues until.... this morning walked out and saw this hole (picture below). I since flooded it, filled it with wood and stones and put large rocks on top.

What could be causing this and what might be the solution?

I was thinking hardware mesh/chicken wire across the whole area then covered with soil mulch and large rocks.

Other ideas? Advice for trapping?
Images
  • 2BB01F37-C5E5-4E32-B76B-FFFC41A7CA23.jpeg
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7868 posts
8834 upvotes
I see it is close to the house foundation... near sewer pipe? rats

could also be moles - mices - marmot - hare
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks for the reply.

Not near a sewer pipe, very large if it’s a rat, sorry I know the perspective on the photo isn’t great.

I’ve seen possums and raccoons around, don’t think possums dig their own holes like this, I have my suspicions it’s a raccoon, or what you noted.

I should go watch looney tunes to get some Elmer Fudd tips to remove. If it’s a bunny I’m not that mad, even if it’s a mole. But if it’s a trash panda it means war.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7868 posts
8834 upvotes
filling the hole with dirt or with broken glass, installing a mesh won't help. beast will dig just beside. there is probably more than one hole, usually they have multiple entry points to escape predators
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1183 posts
777 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
put some mothballs in a big baggy punched with holes and place it in the hole. That may be enough to get rid of whatever it is cheaply.
Jul 14, 2017
361 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
I am going to say it's a skunk. I had the same kind of hole alongside my front porch step,so I put out a trail camera and sure enough! H50
Last edited by Huck50 on Jul 11th, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes
Thank you everyone for your help and insight on identification and getting rid of it.

On the wire mesh question, if I lay mesh across a large area, essentially the whole area, shouldn’t that help? No areas to dig around.

In terms of glass do you suggest large chunks, say golf ball size?

I have the mothballs but they’re cancerous aren’t they and the area is maybe 5-10 ft from the front door, too stinky, but that’s my dad’s suggestion too.

I was thinking this too if it wasn’t by my house Your text to link here...
Jul 14, 2017
361 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Broken glass seems kind of cruel. I hate skunks,but I would never use broken glass as a deterrent,unless,maybe a hyena. H50
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes
Not sure if I prefer racoons over skunks.... oh man, as if I don’t have enough to work on and be worried about these days....
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes
Huck50 wrote: I am going to say it's a skunk. I had the same kind of hole alongside my front porch step,so I put out a trail camera and sure enough! H50
How did you solve your problem? I was thinking maybe ammonia soaked rags or something if it’s a skunk...
Jul 14, 2017
361 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
I had the problem last year...it would make a hole,I would fill it back in,so on and on for 2 or 3 days,put moth balls down and it stopped for awhile,but it's still at it this year.I filled in the hole about a week ago and no activity yet...maybe he(it) got pee-od about me filling in his work and gave up....probably will be back.H50
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
57 posts
9 upvotes
That has been my strategy too, minus the mothballs.

Let’s see what I wake up to tomorrow.

Might have to get out the old SAS survival handbook and see if they have instructions for a catapult.

Appreciate your replies today, saved me the money for buying a trail cam.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1868 posts
1037 upvotes
London
I know someone that got coyote urine from a hunting store and got rid of the skunks under their shed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)